• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Dumb question regarding a fitting…

Gordon Parr is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Dumb question regarding a fitting…

The union fitting in the pic is for a 2 inch line. What I need to know is what type of fitting do I need to replace what I took out. The fitting was used to connect a multi cyclone filter that was glued to close to save. The filter has been removed and I just need the male end to glue the pvc pipe to run new line. A regular 2” union does not work. Sorry if I am confusing everyone.

Name:  1E2DDBAB-AA18-4720-AA28-3E340B8DAE41.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  97.7 KB
      Murphy's New Law -
      "If it doesn't fit, force it.
      If it breaks, it was meant to!"

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

It looks like one half of a union.

There is no real "standard" for the coupling part of a standalone union. If you can figure out the manufacturer of the original union, there is a good chance that a new union from that manufacturer will meet your requirements.

If the part isn't under high pressure, a fernco should work well if you need to cut off that fitting.

TylerDurden is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you don't care about that fitting You can cut the threaded part off with a sawsall and then use a heat gun to remove glued portion . I actually save a lot of expensive true union valves with a heat gun. Or just cut the pipe under the fitting and use a coupler to connect the next pipe.

Or as dragon stated a fernco would work.

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Happy

When I built a bypass of my multiport valve on my bead filter, I contacted Challenger (Fluidart) who made the filter and they were very helpful and provided me the information on the fitting, and even pointed out that I could buy the fitting for the same price on Amazon! Great people.

I also needed a half union, but did not have the same threads of a typical union. The adapter that I used: (Pentair 271096 White Bulkhead Union Replacement Set Pool and Spa Filter) won't work exactly for you, but possibly the mate would ??

ricshaw is online now Supporting Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Parr View Post
      The union fitting in the pic is for a 2 inch line. What I need to know is what type of fitting do I need to replace what I took out. The fitting was used to connect a multi cyclone filter that was glued to close to save. The filter has been removed and I just need the male end to glue the pvc pipe to run new line. A regular 2” union does not work. Sorry if I am confusing everyone.
      What is confusing is 2" Union fittings look like 2" pump Quick Coupler fittings. I recently ran into the same problem. Luckily Mystic Koi in Upland California had plenty of fittings in stock and I found exactly what I needed.

Example:
      Name:  Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 11.26.19 AM.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  115.1 KB

tbullard is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Possibly try contacting Waterco the manufacture of the filter you removed and see if they can help?

https://waterco.us/pool-spa/centrifugal-filters

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I contacted Gary at GC tek who hooked me up with the correct fitting. Hopefully it will arrive soon.
      Murphy's New Law -

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Not sure if you are running into the same or similar issue I ran into when I took my MC50 out of the system. The threads on the MC50 connection were not standard threads, and a normal 2 inch union fitting would not thread on. I called Waterco and after a couple of transfers, I got to the right guy , and he knew just what I needed. He sent me a 2 inch pipe with fittings at either end that threaded right into the space vacated by the MC50. Problem solved. If the part you are getting doesn't fit, let me know and I can probably find the part number I used, I don't think it is in their catalog, but the tech I talked to said he does get calls on this from time to time, and knew exactly how to solve the connection issue.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
      Not sure if you are running into the same or similar issue I ran into when I took my MC50 out of the system. The threads on the MC50 connection were not standard threads, and a normal 2 inch union fitting would not thread on. I called Waterco and after a couple of transfers, I got to the right guy , and he knew just what I needed. He sent me a 2 inch pipe with fittings at either end that threaded right into the space vacated by the MC50. Problem solved. If the part you are getting doesn't fit, let me know and I can probably find the part number I used, I don't think it is in their catalog, but the tech I talked to said he does get calls on this from time to time, and knew exactly how to solve the connection issue.
      Yup... I am running into the same situation. Thanks for your kind offer...I will let you know once I get the part in from Gary.
      Murphy's New Law -