This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Am I seeing baby fishes?

Lhucky is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

For 4 decades since the house and pond were built, we never encountered our koi gets babies. We thought that maybe the eggs were always always being washed away from the drainage.

I've noticed 1 baby fish few days ago while feeding them in the morning. Disregard what I saw, because could not see it again. After feeding them this late afternoon, I was looking for a frog( didn't know where it came from, but heard it every night since its raining here for a month now), then I saw 1 baby fish swims by. It was just for a few seconds. Thinking that my husband said he'd buy baby fishes to eat mosquito larvae. I asked him if he buy small fishes. He said no. So, we were delighted to know that the baby fishes we saw were from our koi!!!

Now, what do we do?

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Frogs will eat pretty much anything smaller than them, so if you want the babies to stick around, the frog has to go.

All our fish are grown, so we purposely put a few bullfrog babies in our pond. One big koi came over to it sitting on the bottom, and gulp, down it went. Figuring the little frog hadn't be chewed up, I waited, and at some point, the frog must have started kicking, and the koi spit him out. He left the water in a hurry. One bullfrog eventually grew up, and it was cool hearing his calls in the evening.

That said, if you like the frogs as well, see if you can net the baby fish out. That's probably a good idea anyway since they'll be far easier to feed and monitor until they're large enough to not get sucked into your filter system.
      Last edited by kimini; 06-18-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

yes those are babies. the ones that survived anyways

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow! Thank you. Fishing them out 1 by 1 sounds fun and stressful at the same time. Any tips for a newbie? Or we might hire someone to do that for us. But might take few days. Will they survive by then?

The photo attached is the frog i was looking for yesterday afternoon. Is it poisonous? Tried to catch it this morning, but went into hiding already. There were 2 of them. 1 smaller 1 bigger. I think the photo is the bigger 1.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have lots of frogs of all kinds. The only ones that eat my fish are the bull frogs.
      Nancy

Nevermore is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Kimini ... that's a fun frog in koi story.

Lhucky... that looks more toad like in the photo then frog ... though I could be wrong.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hehehe. I don't know specific breeds of frogs. But the photo is the only time I saw it. I might not be able to get a new photo again because I saw them only twice for the entire month I heard them. They were able to get in and out of the house without us noticing them.

The only thing that scares me is whether they are poisonous or not. And besides, I have a very poor eyesight. So maybe they were standing next to me, and might not noticed them.

I took the photo when my husband had pointed to me where he was sitting. Just infront of my eyes. ��

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Since you are in the Philippines, I wouldn't dare to guess what kind of from that is. Your best bet is to google 'frogs in the Philippines' and go from there.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is doing OK

Feeling:
      Cool

It’s a toad, pretty sure of it. Roads are more wartier looking than frogs. Frogs are smoother because they spend more time in the water. Koi will not eat most toad eggs because they are noxious and they could die if they eat too many. They supposedly also taste bad, according to one toad expert.

That being said, I have about 300 babysitters right now, and it will be very difficult to get rid of that many. I wish I had a toad..................

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I did use Google. What I searched was the sound of bull frog. And the frog sounds like bull frog. It sounds like a low tone trumpet. That's why we call it trump.

Anyways, I don't hear it anymore already. Last night my husband saw a frog just sitting outside our compound. Hopefully it was him and looking for another place to stay. As we've only left with less than 7 koi fry I guess. Haiizzz... maybe next time I hear another frog in the house, we must check if our koi have babies again. ��