• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Pond $$

jcardona1 is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by thisismyname1234 View Post
      Is the bottom drain the only filtration exit? Or is that in addition to a skimmer
      Most dedicated koi ponds run both bottom drains and skimmers. Sometimes multiple bottom drains depending on the size of the floor.

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Is the bottom drain the only filtration exit? Or is that in addition to a skimmer
      Bottom Drain and Skimmer are the normal. If you have a very large pond and can't move enough water volume thru the bottom drains and skimmers you can also use mid-water intakes.

thisismyname1234 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok thanks. This will only be about 12x16 or so. Not very big

two_wheeled is offline Senior Member
      is TGIF

Feeling:
      Meh

Don’t go without a bottom drain. I put in the extra work to include one in mine and it was totally worth it.
      https://youtu.be/licyhGn6feE
      -Steve in Phx.
      Novice Extraordinaire

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by two_wheeled View Post
      Donít go without a bottom drain. I put in the extra work to include one in mine and it was totally worth it.
      https://youtu.be/licyhGn6feE
      That looks great but I want mine to be more water feature looking...but can contain koi.

TylerDurden is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I strongly urge that if you want a water feature/ garden to just go with goldfish. There are some pretty cool varieties honestly. I just really feel like if you do get koi you may get overwhelmed with what all comes with being a good koi keeper. They are a lot of work compared to GF especially when they are in a pond that isn't tailored for them. In the end it's your choice and the very experience people here on koiphen will still help if you get koi and have issues, but why not just avoid the problems before they start. I started with GF and graduated to koi the more I upgraded my pond and got used to how it functions.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

That looks great but I want mine to be more water feature looking...but can contain koi.
      I think this is key and good to know what you want. What is it about koi that make you want them?
      It's a fact that goldfish are cheaper and more resilient than koi. Shubunkin can look very much like small koi yet be a lot tougher.
      If it's the pattern on koi you're after, shubunkin might be a better choice and able to handle a water feature type environment. Just
      call them small koi and most will never know the difference.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I think this is key and good to know what you want. What is it about koi that make you want them?
      It's a fact that goldfish are cheaper and more resilient than koi. Shubunkin can look very much like small koi yet be a lot tougher.
      If it's the pattern on koi you're after, shubunkin might be a better choice and able to handle a water feature type environment. Just
      call them small koi and most will never know the difference.
      Yeah don't need to have koi specifically.. different GF are fine....I had a mixture of koi and gf in my last pond

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

I'll back track on something I said before and that was that a BD couldn't be used with a rock bottom. If it's recognized that it isn't the same thing and the
      rock bottom still will need to be vacuumed and/or removed and cleaned regularly... I think pulling water from the bottom area of the pond to filtration in
      general is a good thing. The draw back is that initially smaller fish like shubunkins can get sucked into a BD so you might want to be aware of that when
      picking filtration after any BD.

There are for sure some here that prefer rock bottoms... they may be in the minority but they certainly exist. I think it can work as long as the
      owner realizes the maintenance that is required; it's those that just look at their pond for years thinking it all looks good, and then suddenly
      their fish develop ulcers and other problems that give the design a bad name. I think it's a LOT of work and more than is needed by doing it
      differently plus healthier doing it differently too... but if it's what you like and is your vision, I'd say go for it... with eyes open.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12