• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Silly Lotus Flowers Falling Over in Thunderstorm

KoiNC is online now Senior Member
      is is Relaxing by the Pond

Feeling:
      ----

Silly Lotus Flowers Falling Over in Thunderstorm

The things are 5-6' tall and just got blasted by a thunderstorm. Thankfully I had a bunch already flower and go to seed (dropped the leaves) because I plan to collect seeds for members on here who want them and those all were fine (no wind resistance).

Guessing not much I could do here, if I tacked them up with a stick or something I'd risk stabbing the tuber and drowning it, but also it would just rip the petals off anyway... so I guess let nature be nature huh?

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

I envy you your problem. The edible seed lotus I bought and planted this past spring were doing great. Then no rain to speak of in April and May and the plants were left high and dry. You can see the drop, the water when I planted was at or over the bridge. The one pod I checked does have a few good seed and rains in the last week have raised the water level so the plants are once again "pond" plants and not shore plants. < g >
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

"On entering this world our starting-point is ignorance. None, however, but idiots remain there."~ Horace Mann

Craig

gray cat is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The rain & wind today took my petals too.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

KoiNC is online now Senior Member
      is is Relaxing by the Pond

Feeling:
      ----

Wow Craig, you look like you had the 6 weeks of no rain we had. Well I owe you some seeds and tubers anyway so I'll be happy to replenish your stock!

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Truth be told, April and May are two of the driest months....the rainy season here usually starts early to mid-June. The difference this year was the nearly 100 degree temps and the low humidity. Anyhoo...it appears the danger is past, we have had more than ample rains and the pond is on the rise, btw, the pond has no external water flow, so is basically a reflection of the water table.

Lol....you owe me nothing. If I do not eat all the seed...which are way tasty....I will have seed o'plenty. The lotus at the opposite end of the pond is a variety selected for the edible tuber. I was introduced to how delicious lotus tuber can be by a friend in Korea and the particular variety I got is known for its large tasty tubers. < g >
      "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

"On entering this world our starting-point is ignorance. None, however, but idiots remain there."~ Horace Mann

Craig