• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: sieve filter vs sock filter

Wardy is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

sieve filter vs sock filter

Ok I have a quick question been looking at pre filters and seen some diy sieve filters and also some were they have 4 filter socks recessed in to the top of a funk being gravety fed from bottom drain then pumped out of barrel in to the next part of filtration is there down sides to this it's just I think this will be the easiest way for me to be able to make one over a sieve filter

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is Busy and

Feeling:
      Tired

A sieve with a true wedge wire screen like a Cetus, Zacci, Aquaforte, or a DIY unit , has the advantage of “shearing” debris of typically 250 - 300 microns and larger from the water passing over it , with virtually no clogging . Filter socks or their equivalent micron sized standard micro screen , need far more maintenance and are less reliable when used in gravity flow fed filters .

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Some DIY Sieve units have the waste going into a collection system kitted out with filter socks to retrieve runoff water. This is reasonable to implement if you regularly maintain the socks.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Plan for my filtration is diy sock pre filter (6) 300 microns in to 55gallon drum with wash scrubs in bottom section pumped out in to another 55 gal drum sand and gravel filter then to a k1 55gal drum and finally to 55gal drum with moving bed I'm thinking if I fill under the filter socks with the scrubbies and an over flow just incase the socks do clog that the wash scrubs will still be enough to catch the big bits before the sand and gravel filter does this sound like that would work I would love a sieve filter but they really do cost a lot for what they are

is Busy and

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
      Plan for my filtration is diy sock pre filter (6) 300 microns in to 55gallon drum with wash scrubs in bottom section pumped out in to another 55 gal drum sand and gravel filter then to a k1 55gal drum and finally to 55gal drum with moving bed I'm thinking if I fill under the filter socks with the scrubbies and an over flow just incase the socks do clog that the wash scrubs will still be enough to catch the big bits before the sand and gravel filter does this sound like that would work I would love a sieve filter but they really do cost a lot for what they are
      Is it Your intention to gravity flow to the filter socks ? If so, I can recommend better options for You.
      At any rate , the order of Your filtration is not ideal .
      It should be sieve or sock or any prefilter , sand and gravel mechanical fines filter , scrubbies and or moving bed or any bio filter .

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes will be gravety feeding the socks only reason scrubbies under the socks was to catch any large bits if the socks did ever get full or clogged and please if you can help me with a better way of doing this that would be great I've not bought anything yet as the pond is not going to be ready till about end of August at the moment I'm just trying to work out the best way to do filters every thing is going to have to fit in a 6x4 shed so space is not a lot

ricshaw is offline Supporting Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Ok I have a quick question been looking at pre filters and seen some diy sieve filters and also some were they have 4 filter socks recessed in to the top of a funk being gravety fed from bottom drain then pumped out of barrel in to the next part of filtration is there down sides to this it's just I think this will be the easiest way for me to be able to make one over a sieve filter
      The easiest one to make will be the hardest one to maintain (keep clean).

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That's is a very true saying but I really don't mind have to clean them out on a reg basis

is Busy and

Feeling:
      Tired

Yes will be gravety feeding the socks only reason scrubbies under the socks was to catch any large bits if the socks did ever get full or clogged and please if you can help me with a better way of doing this that would be great I've not bought anything yet as the pond is not going to be ready till about end of August at the moment I'm just trying to work out the best way to do filters every thing is going to have to fit in a 6x4 shed so space is not a lot
      In addition to the socks needing a lot of maintenance , how will You gravity flow to ,and over them , without them being fully submerged ? For them to be effective , the socks need to be above the water line to effectively catch most debris without it dissolving into the water column . Socks are usually pump fed .Just want You to think about this .

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very good point I didn't think about that this is were I got the idea from while looking for diy pre filters now you said that looking at it again his must be pump feed as a lot higher than water level looks like a new idea is needed

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

https://youtu.be/ykWbtkDDWa8 sorry I forgot to post the like

is Busy and

Feeling:
      Tired

I think We’ve all seen that , and You can do much better .
      Stick with gravity flow into a prefilter , then pump from there to the sand and gravel filter. The sand and gravel filter can then gravity flow into a bio filter.
      Many options for a gravity flow prefilter , including a simple barrel with a prefilter on the pumps inlet .
      Like this
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...er-Maintenance
      That prefilter will do a pretty good job without clogging up , and is easy to clean

ricshaw is offline Supporting Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Not a popular fish pond mechanical filtration system. I have visited hundreds of hobbyist's ponds and never seen one.