• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My lilies

pickerel is online now Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Thanks for that. I enjoyed reading it. Ancient species are interesting. They sure have it figured out. My profile pic is a African Tiger Fish.

freedam is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So the lily came in a pretty small pot and the soil is just a couple inches high but the leaves are doing so nicely that I m thinking maybe i should transplant it to a bigger pot so the roots can spread and add some clay and fertilizer.

I “overwintered” (my new word for the day) a few plants including my favorite, my first Saracenia ((Pitcher Plant),but realized that i probably should have cut it all down and just kept it moist for the winter instead of leaving it floating in the aquarium as it’s taking a long time now to grow.

And today I got my first booms on my water hyacinths! Heaven!

is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Yes, I would go ahead and transplant the lily into a bigger pot. Congrats on the water hyancinth. Mine was great last year and is dying this year. I think it's the baking soda/high pH in my new pond. I had to take it out because it was rotting. I'm reviving it in a stock tank I keep in the shrubbery and after just a few days it is already growing new dark green leaves. I have read that it likes low pH.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just found some Jobes fertilizer spikes for fruit and citrus, can I use those?

is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

I don't know much about the difference, but I would use fertilizer made for aquatic plants. One other thing I thought of too is that I think hardy (not tropical) aquatic plants do better if they are allowed to go dormant in the winter. It's part of their natural cycle. I think they benefit from the rest.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Amazing what one can do from bed as I'm sick with a cold! I ordered fertilizer tabs-the ones you suggested. Was so tempted to see that I could order 100 baby koi on amazon! Good thing I don't have room for them or I would have put them in my cart! It feels good to be slowly getting my small container ponds under control. Wonder if I can figure out how to post a video.......!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Houston, we have a problem. Now I need the experts advice. I see lily pads floating in my container pond! I think the Koi are nibbling them off the plant!!! So do I take a piece of window screen and wrap it around the plant (generously so there's space for the pads to float), so the fish can't get to it?? And is there a way to root the lily pads (I guess I need to find that topic on the forum!).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12