• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First REAL Try - Doitsu Kohaku (F) & Kumonryu? (M) Sanke (M)

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Stuff happens. Glad you've still got the vast majority, and the bigger ones. Any idea how hot the tank water got? I'm guessing you probably were scrambling to get it cooled down and may not have taken time to check a thermometer.
      Last edited by Matt24; 1 Week Ago at 12:53 PM.

HAMMATRON is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

12hr update: vast majority is now down to about 50-70. �� Luckily I still have another 20ish tobies in the storage tote and another 30ish in a small outdoor pond

Tank water is usually between 68-72, when I noticed the fish huddling, it was upper 80s. 15-20 degree swing in less than a half hour is pretty significant, especially on the tiny fry

Roger is offline Senior Member
      is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Hammatron, I came across a thought from a philosopher from decades ago, " Everything happens for the health of the universe." I have experienced many things in my life and I believe that the statement made by that philosopher is true.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by HAMMATRON View Post
      12hr update: vast majority is now down to about 50-70. �� Luckily I still have another 20ish tobies in the storage tote and another 30ish in a small outdoor pond

Tank water is usually between 68-72, when I noticed the fish huddling, it was upper 80s. 15-20 degree swing in less than a half hour is pretty significant, especially on the tiny fry
      I am very sorry that you lost to many and am just trying to learn from your unusual, unfortunate experience. From the photos in post 38, it looks like a whole lot more than 50-70, which you are now down to. So I it take that a lot higher percentage must have wound up dying later. [In your earlier post, you mentioned "(probably 5%) of fish in the process of dying".] I might have guessed a high, if not 100%, death rate from something like that, but what do you think the final percentage that died was?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It is real unfortunate, but at the same time, maybe it will allow the remaining 50-70 to thrive. Before the water change, i would have estimated there to be about 800 in the tank. I do have some pictures of most of the dead ones, but figured nobody wanted to see those lol

Matt - the initial 5% were all the very much smaller ones. My assumption is the bigger ones were able to handle it a bit longer before they couldn't take it, and subsequently ended up dying throughout the night.

Aside from that, below is an update on the biggest tobi, a about 1.25". Colors are starting to show up. This is the same fish from post #36
      Name:  IMG_20190706_115531.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  41.4 KB

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for sharing the results Hammatron, as grim as they may be. Perhaps the reduced numbers will allow the smaller ones to catch up with the tobi some. When they get a little larger in the coming weeks, you should be able to better identify smaller deformities and remove those, allowing more space for those with good conformation to grow more.

Should be interesting how the one pictured and the others develop. I am not sure what that one is going to be yet, maybe beni kumonryu or sanke.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Because pictures speak 1,000 words, below are all the fish (plus ~20-25 that are out of the picture) that survived the temperature swing. Downside is there are significantly less, upside is the small fish are starting to catch up with tobies. Dark fish are really starting to show patterning, yellow ones are still just solid color.

Name:  Remaining Fish.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  85.2 KB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123