• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: May 2019: Dainichi Marin male Kohaku paired with Hasegawa female Kohaku

Roger is offline Senior Member
      is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Got rid of the clutter

I installed a 960 gph Laguna power jet pump, and got rid of 3 submersible sponge filters in my 600 gal tank. I stuffed the one inch flex on the power jet pump into the inch and a half flex going to my 2000 gallon external pump and Ultima 2000 filter. I also had to put one of my albino plecos in the 600 gallon tank to control the string algae. I left one Beckett 400 gph double sponge type submersible filter to feed my planter.

Just a little warning, the generic replacement sponge for the Beckett submersible sponge filters are inferior to the Beckett original replacement sponge. I tried both types, the generic type is softer and is the culprit that killed a few of my bigger frys. It doesn't hold up and keep its form like the original Beckett sponge replacement.

The frys don't get sucked into the 960 gph Laguna Power Jet pump case, the holes of the case is small enough to handle one month old fry as I remembered correctly. I have been emphasizing the Laguna Power Jet pump because they sell another type called Laguna Max Flow pump. The case holes on the Max Flow is much larger, it is not suitable for one month old fry.

I turned the 45 degree coupling on the return, so the current will spin around the tank. Hopefully, the poop will settle in the middle and get sucked into the ultima 2000 filter. The picture shows the coupling facing in, it has been turned. When the fry are three month old, I will take out the Beckett sponge filter and Laguna Power Jet filter pumps, and just run my original ultima filter set up which is designed to feed the planter and created a circular current in the tank.

I saw one high quality clear white round Tancho Kohaku fry, I hope it matures with out any blemishes.

Name:  DSCN0048.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  192.7 KB
      Last edited by Roger; 06-27-2019 at 07:34 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

From the photo, that looks like good size for about 5 weeks. How big are they now?

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      From the photo, that looks like good size for about 5 weeks. How big are they now?
      Matt a lot of them are about the same size as the tobies that I placed in the 100 gal tank. They range from 3/4 inch to 2 1/2 inch. I threw back one potential kohaku from the toby tank and left the rest in there for future use. I will use that tank to store my live bait.
      Last edited by Roger; 06-27-2019 at 07:35 PM.

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Potential Tancho

I circled a potential tancho, it has the Marin body type. I am looking forward to its development.

Name:  DSCN0075.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  178.2 KB

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Smaller fry nibbling on 1/32 inch mini pellets. They will keep at it until its gone.

Name:  DSCN0082.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  167.5 KB

HAMMATRON is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
      ...I also had to put one of my albino plecos in the 600 gallon tank to control the string algae.
      It's crazy/funny to see such a big pleco in there with the lil koi and no worries about them getting eaten up. Keep that string algae going so it doesn't get hungry! lol

You're getting some pretty cool variety! Mine are still too small to really show pattern, but most are either yellow, white, or look pretty 'dirty' patterned dark. Excited to see what they turn into

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Hammatron, the toothless pleco is doing a great job with the algae. He meticulously goes around the bottom until all the algae is gone and then starts going around the sides. I feel like I should pay him, he seems intelligent.

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

I just received my ebay order for krill meal, its a very fine powder which is ideal for newly hatched fry. It floats on the surface, and has a flavorful shrimp smell that stimulates the frys appetite. Next time, I will use krill meal instead of dried decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, its cheaper and better for newly hatched fry. I will cull in a couple of weeks.
      Its kind of depressing, all those fry and I only see a few keepers. Majority of them are aka muji, shiro muji, and incomplete kohaku. I see two to three triangle tancho's, I am not sure if the red marking on their head will turn round. I see some kohaku in the smaller batch of fry, so there is still hope.
      Last edited by Roger; 07-12-2019 at 07:22 PM.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

… Majority of them are aka muji, shiro muji …
      I don't know first hand, but I had read that was common in kohaku spawns. Has your past experience shown otherwise?

... I only see a few keepers …
      That doesn't sound bad to me, unless you mean only a few keepers for the first of multiple selections.

Hope J is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just received my ebay order for krill meal, its a very fine powder which is ideal for newly hatched fry. It floats on the surface, and has a flavorful shrimp smell that stimulates the frys appetite. Next time, I will use krill meal instead of dried decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, its cheaper and better for newly hatched fry. I will cull in a couple of weeks.
      Its kind of depressing, all those fry and I only see a few keepers. Majority of them are aka muji, shiro muji, and incomplete kohaku. I see two to three triangle tancho's, I am not sure if the red marking on their head will turn round. I see some kohaku in the smaller batch of fry, so there is still hope.
      Out of curiosity, what will you be doing with the Shiro Muji? I am looking for a female Gin Rin with good conformation and Shiroji

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Matt, its a typical Kohaku spawn, just hoping to get 6 that make the grade.

Hope J, the rest of them will become food for the rest that are trying to catch up.

In this picture there is a potential tancho (middle) and a two step with clear nose and odome (center/close to bottom of picture).

Name:  DSCN0094.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  193.4 KB
      Last edited by Roger; 07-13-2019 at 09:19 PM.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Matt, its a typical Kohaku spawn, just hoping to get 6 that make the grade.

Hope J, the rest of them will become food for the rest that are trying to catch up.

In this picture there is a potential tancho (middle) and a two step with clear nose and odome (center/close to bottom of picture).
      Thanks for confirming. I hope you get your six. That tancho really stands out in the photo. It has a nice thick build too.

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

The krill meal affected my water quality and caused many fry deaths. In addition to making my water milky, it also clogged my sponge filters to the point where the water level to my trash bin hit the danger zone. The twp step kohaku I pointed out was one of the victims, I found him belly up in the am. I say krill meal is a no go!

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

So sorry Roger.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow that turned the water fast Rodger
      Hopefully you still got some keepers

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry to hear that man. There sure are a lot of ways that they can get into trouble at this size. Hope the best of the rest make it to their potential.

Hope J is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oh no! Could you add a little egg to the Krill and throw it in the oven to make small pellets so it doesn't mess up the water?

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Hope J View Post
      Oh no! Could you add a little egg to the Krill and throw it in the oven to make small pellets so it doesn't mess up the water?
      I can mix it in with pearl barley paste and other stuff, but I'd rather set it aside for now and use Tetra Gold fish flake food. Latter on when I switch back to my ultima filter system, I can feed them paste food.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123