• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: May 2019: Dainichi Marin male Kohaku paired with Hasegawa female Kohaku

Roger is offline Senior Member
      is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

May 20, 2019: Dainichi Marin male Kohaku paired with Hasegawa female Kohaku

I decided to throw out the Ovaprim and just pair them up according to the prime breeding months (May, June, July) on the full moon week. The Hasegawa female had a slight bulge on its stomach, but it was not extremely fat to the point where the egg sack protrudes out from the vent. It was on the slim side, but it dropped a lot of eggs.

They spawned in the morning in a 600 gal tank, I transferred the eggs to a 300 gal tank after they were done. Latter in the evening, I took an ammonia and nitrite reading and was surprised to see none, all the sperm and foam was left in the 600 gal spawn tank.

I redesigned the filter set up on my 300 gal tank. I made another one inch hole, so I can run a 900 gal per hour pump where as previously, I could only run a 600 gal pump. I will place sponge filters on the drain pipes to keep the fry out. This should solve a major problem. Furthermore, I made the return come down to the bottom with air bubbles coming out from the ventril hole on top. I was worried that the fry would get hurt if I just let the return shoot back in from the top.

I placed an order for 5 lbs of decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, it will arrive in three days. All I need is enough to get them past one month, then I can mash up some powdered koi food, spirulina and cooked pearl barely.

Name:  DSCN0952.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  95.7 KBName:  DSCN0960.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  140.3 KBName:  DSCN0967.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  187.0 KB
      Last edited by Roger; 05-26-2019 at 11:04 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

I filled the blue tank up with more water and put more cycled bio ball above the grate on top (not shown in picture). I also threw in some lettuce to start the break down for infusoria; however, I will probably be changing the water tomorrow. I notice the scum usually comes out the next day.

Name:  DSCN0955.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  143.8 KBName:  DSCN0959.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  121.8 KBName:  DSCN0958.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  122.0 KB
      Last edited by Roger; 05-22-2019 at 02:38 AM.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Nice goin' Roger. Please keep us posted on the hatching and raising.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

--Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

I went out to do a 50% water change early in the morning and while the pump was running I saw a tiny fry flash past the corner of my eye. They started hatching through the night on the second day. I probably lost some, but the ones on the horse hair ropes and brushes were not disturbed, so it wasn't a major catastrophe. However, most of the newly hatched fry in the original 600 gal spawning tank got flushed away. I left my 2000 gal per hour external pump running over night.

I had everything ready to transfer my ultima 2000 filter system to a 100 gal tank. The intake and return got flexed into the 100 gallon tank, then I stuck two smaller return tubes from two submersible sponge filters into the inch and a half flex in-take in the 100 gallon tank, so the sucked up water from the submersible pumps go direct to the ultima filter. There is plenty of room around the inch and a half flex to suck up more water to balance everything out. The excess water from the two submersible pumps flows back into the 600 gallon tank through an one inch pvc return. I also ran a little bigger twin sponge submersible pump directly into my lava rock planter, instead of feeding it into the 100 gallon tank. The water flow from the pump is just right to trigger the bell siphon to fill and empty.

I will take out the spawning mats tomorrow and do a 50% water change in the 300 gallon tank. The ammonia reading in the 300 gallon tank went up two levels to .50 ppm, a slight green tint, and the ammonia reading in the 600 gallon tank is zero. The cycled ultima filter set up does a better job.

I am so tempted to siphon out all the left over egg muck stuck on the bottom, but I will leave it alone. I took a sample of the muck and found a lot of tiny black dots swimming around, maybe cyclobs, not sure. I know from past experience, red worms will grow in this muck which is an ideal live food.
      If they are free swimming, I will start feeding them decapsulated brine shrimp eggs tomorrow.

Name:  DSCN0979.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  207.8 KBName:  DSCN0974.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  169.5 KB
      Last edited by Roger; 05-25-2019 at 11:45 AM.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Congrats on the swimmers! If ammonia does not subside quickly enough, some Fritz ACCR, Ammo-lock, or similar ammonia binder may help protect the fry in the early days.

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

May 23, started feeding

Some of them were free swimming, so I soaked 1 TBS of dried decapsulated brine shrimp eggs in water and used a turkey baser to dispense the egg and water around the edge of the tank. One TBS is a whole lot of brine shrimp eggs, next time I will use one tea spoon for each tank.

I decided to siphon out all the dead koi eggs from the 300 gallon tank. I went OCD on the siphoning and sucked up a lot of fry along the way, but it was part of my plan. I threw the muck and fry in the 600 gallon tank, now I have fry in two tanks. I will try to raise red worms in the muck. I don't know where these red worms come from, but there are a lot of them.

The 900 gal per hour pump's water current on the 90 elbow on the bottom of the return in my 300 gallon tank was too strong,, it was stressing me and the fry out. I cut off the 90 elbow and made the return go three quarter of the way down, this solved the problem. I still got the bubbles from the ventril hole and the center and back end of the 300 gallon tank is calm.

Hmm, I am beginning to think they might be to small to eat the brine shrimp egg? If there are a lot of left over, I will use egg yolk tomorrow.
      Last edited by Roger; 05-26-2019 at 11:05 PM.

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

I set up a lamp last night and spread out one tsp of decapsulated brine shrimp around the edges of the 300 gal tank. I thought they were eating it, but it appears to have slid down to the bottom, so I will feed them boiled egg yolk when I wake up. The water in the 300 gallon tank had zero ammonia, so the filter must have kicked back in. The bio balls has been cycled before, but the tank was left with out fish for about a month.
      Last edited by Roger; 05-25-2019 at 12:01 PM.

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

There is no doubt about it, egg yolk is the cheapest way to go. I can see the yellow inside their transparent body. I'll start feeding them the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs when they are a little bigger.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Miniature mud pond

The water under my Lychee tree, doesn't fully drain anymore, this is where the back wash water from my Ultima filters go when ever I clean them. I decided to throw the lucky frys that get sucked up with my siphon in this miniature mud pond. I think there are less than ten that got thrown in there so far.

The coarse sponge filter on the in-take is keeping the fry out as planned, I am happy to report no victims has been found. I can turn the pump off and put a water hose in the trash bin filter when ever I decide to clean the sponge filter, so the water flows out and doesn't suck frys in.

I ended up filling the top part of the trash can filter with lava rock.

Name:  DSCN0987.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  312.6 KBName:  DSCN0985.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  167.3 KBName:  DSCN0988.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  76.4 KB

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

I fed 2 tsp spoon of dried decapsulated brine shrimp eggs and two egg yolk through out the day and there is no ammonia or nitrite in the 300 gallon tank. In addition, I stop cleaning the two coarse sponge filters. I want to see how long I can go with out cleaning them before the water level in the trash bin drops. This is the best fry system I have created thus far. In the morning, the gunk accumulates around the air stone and the lighter particles float up and get sucked into sponge filter, So all I need to do is siphon around the air stone. The poo doesn't scather all around, they kind of form small piles. In some light cases, I can release the siphon towards the sponge filter, and not be bothered about saving any sucked up fry.

The 600 gallon tank has way more fry in it, they were probably on the bottom where I could not see them. The gunk on the bottom of the 600 gallon tank with 300 gallons of water makes it hard to see the left over food, so I have been feeding the same amount as the blue tank.
      Last edited by Roger; 05-29-2019 at 12:24 AM.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
      ... two egg yolk through out the day ...
      How do you give them the egg yolk? Does it crumble into a powder that you sprinkle all around a few times a day. Or what?

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      How do you give them the egg yolk? Does it crumble into a powder that you sprinkle all around a few times a day. Or what?
      I put one or two egg yolk in a bullet blender, add about a cup of water and grind it up. Then I add more water and use a turkey baser to spread it around the sides. I only feed them in the morning because I can see the yellow film on the side of my tank, it last all day. However, it is gone in the morning.

I stop feeding them the egg yolk after the fourth day.

Now, I only feed them a table spoon of dried decapsulated brine shrimp eggs in the am, and it also last through out the day. Similar to the egg yolk it is gone by the next morning. The fry poop is a sticky orange clump and it accumulates around my air stone near the sponge filter. I only siphoned up one fry today, they don't like to hang around the air stone.

I have been soaking the decapsulated brine shrimp egg in water for about 5 minutes before I feed it to them. One 16 oz plastic jar of dried decapsulated brine shrimp egg cost about $25 and it is going to last a few weeks or longer at the rate I am feeding them. I bought 5 jars, thinking that I would use them up with in one month, but I think its going to last way longer than that.
      https://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/br...e-shrimp-eggs/
      Last edited by Roger; 06-01-2019 at 01:58 AM.

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

At first, I was planning on just feeding them decapsulated brine shrimp eggs after four days on egg yolk, but I did another observation study and found that their stomach filled up more with egg yolk than powdered koi pellets or decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, so I will keep feeding them a mixture of egg yolk and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. Also, the fry in the miniature mud pond seem a little bigger and I haven't been feeding them? I wonder if they are eating mosquito eggs?
      Last edited by Roger; 06-01-2019 at 02:00 AM.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

… the fry in the miniature mud pond seem a little bigger and I haven't been feeding them? I wonder if they are eating mosquito eggs?
      Sure hope so.

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

The fry in the black 600 gal tank is much bigger than the fry in the 300 gal blue tank (bottom picture) The bottom of the 600 gal tank has not been cleaned since the parent koi spawned. The left over eggs has broken down into brown particles that clump together like bacteria growth.

I let the water in my miniature mud pond evaporate after the leaves on my lychee tree started falling off. I did some research on sodium bentonite clay and found out that I could use it to seal the mud, so the water doesn't drain out. I might try this in a different area, the fry in the miniature mud pond was healthier and bigger than the ones in the blue 300 gal tank, so its worth a try.

Something caused some of the fry in the blue tank to die off. The dead ones seem to be deformed, so I was thinking it could be natures scheme of things. When I test the water there are no ammonia or nitrite. I have been adding baking soda to keep the KH at 90 and I have been doing 20% water changes daily. I think the excessive mortality was caused by the dried decapsulated brine shrimp eggs that I spread over the surface of the water without rinsing or rehydrating it.

I took out the center air stone in the 300 gal tank to give them a calm place to rest.

Name:  DSCN1002.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  184.9 KBName:  DSCN1005.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  155.1 KB
      Last edited by Roger; 06-04-2019 at 06:22 PM.

pondfishguy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Some comments/observations on growth rate. Let me preface this by saying this is only my 3rd year but I have a lot of different grow out tanks with different conditions.
      Tank Location Water Temp Feeding Growth rate
      Trash can outside pea green (unfiltered) 50-68 none fast
      200 gal poly outside spawning pond filtered and buffered 71-74 frequent very slow
      6000 g pond outside pea green and planted 62-70 none very fast
      Aquarium 1 inside clear 76-78 frequent fast
      Aquarium 2 inside clear 69-72 frequent moderate
      Stock tank outside clear (planted) 50-65(shaded) occasional very slow

In summary warm aquarium or large natural pond produce fastest growth rates

My spaces were removed in the table so good luck interpreting!

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

After two weeks, the muck on the bottom of the 600 gal tank turned into brown powder that max out my sponge filters, so I siphoned it out. The frys are big enough to avoid my one inch siphon, none of them got sucked up. I already know how some of them are 3 to 4 times bigger than the rest, they are cannibals. Kind of makes me mad watching them bully the smaller ones.

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

After two weeks, the muck on the bottom of the 600 gal tank turned into brown powder that max out my sponge filters, so I siphoned it out. The frys are big enough to avoid my one inch siphon, none of them got sucked up. I already know how some of them are 3 to 4 times bigger than the rest, they are cannibals. Kind of makes me mad watching them bully the smaller ones.
      Those are your Toby (large ones) if you don't move them to a different tank they will keep having their way with their siblings. That's what I did yesterday morning went thru 2k 2 month old koi and moved the tobys to a different tank.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast