• Tired
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: California "Public Safety Power Shutoff"

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      Grown adult whine like a 4-year old when power outage caused some brief personal hardship. Perspective lost was the painful price of 86 deaths and 13000 destroyed homes last year. Did PG&E really have any option other than taking extra caution?

There has been a systematic hysterical hatred campign against everything California. The same cynical talking points can easily be redirected toward NY which in many ways is similar to California. Both states attract large number of immigrants and gazillions of capital. Both states are expensive to claim residency. Both states are trending blue leaving the red team occupying only the cow and farm country. Both states are booming economically despite pundits' doom predictions. If you are reading this, you 100% are using California technologies in front of you. Not in front of you, you probably can't live without the internet, Google, Facebook and Netflix. NY also thanks your business for investing in stock and bond. If you were David Duke, you sure will hate the day California celebrate its hispanic majority, again for the second time.
      https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/12/grow...te-survey.html

tick tick tick BOOM

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've held back on replying on this thread as I sympathize wholeheartedly with the plight of Californian's dealing with it. I lived there most of my life and the majority of my friends still reside in California.
      This is not about hate, or rather, it's not hate of the rest of the country directed at CA or its residents. It IS about the disdain that the administrators in CA have for its residents. That is where any animus I'm aware of is directed from outside the state. Everything I've heard is that people are outraged at what the state/utility are doing to its residents. People don't understand how a state/utility could be see this as a possible ongoing reality.

I received a few calls from some of my CA friends during this. They are all lifelong residents of CA. Three of the four calls said they were stepping up their plans to exit the state and wished they had done it sooner. The last that hopes to be out of the state by the beginning of the year.

What I find hard to believe is that there is any support for the steps taken by the utility company.
      If high winds can cause trees to topple and trigger fires, institute clearing of trees within a certain area by the lines. Better to clear that many trees than to have the horrific result evidenced by last year's fire. That is common sense to me. If you need this to have it be safe for residents, then it should be so. Utility fees are hugely expensive in CA and you'd think that part of the revenue would be for maintenance. I know someone that worked for PG&E many years ago. They commonly did this. It makes sense. Not sure when it ended but it's obvious it has.

Too many people depend on electricity in their daily lives (for medical care, quality of life and basic needs) for it to be arbitrarily removed. I'm including brown outs in this as well as the recent PGE cutoffs. Not that many people can afford a whole house generator just to keep the basics going. Cost of living is pretty darned high and it's a stretch to plop down a few thousand dollars just to keep power in their homes.
      Imagine being a small business owner and having the power shut off to your restaurant or facility. An acquaintance has a business that does physical therapy, medical rehabilitation, chiropractic and massage. While a lot of their therapies can be done sans power, a lot can't. Try running an ultrasound therapy without power let alone following the scheduling, medical file updates needed via computer.

Side note, CA should stop building all the new housing structures. Yes, it brings in more tax revenue but it puts additional strain on a drought prone, fire prone state. You build one, tear another down. City and state planning appears to be non-existent.
      Packing people in like sardines creates the circumstances for disaster. It used to be common sense not to build more than you could sustain but it has flown out the window in CA. When you live in a state where they are trying to limit the amount of water to roughly 50g/day per person, you don't have a lot of wiggle room when you're dealing with the potential of massive fires and the number of residents. The administrators do not want people living in the suburbs, they would prefer everyone (except the mega rich) to live in densely populated cities.

I could go on but I won't. I hope the residents get through this well. I hope CA administrators take all of this into account for city and state planning. Hope springs eternal.
      Until then I will continue to watch my friends plan to flee the state.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

I choose not to participate because afraid I’ll be added to the ignore list or I might as well be on it already
      Last night I brought my generator out run for 30 mins and power went back on a “false” alarm and I’m in the city
      Oh well life goes on
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      M.Nguyen

ricshaw is offline Supporting Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

The reality for most Californians with Koi ponds is, like when Chloramine water treatment was introduced, we now have another another hurdle to jump. We are looking at generator options for more frequent and longer power outages.

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Let's look at the problem from a balanced perspective. There are businesses that generates and distributes power. Winds blow down power lines and start a fire, and they get sued. How can any company survive when it's held responsible for all the consequences of what happens with its product? Imagine being a car manufacturer and getting sued every time there's an accident. They deal with it the only way they can, by "removing" their product from the shelves when conditions are against them.

To all the complainers: How would you run a power company so that it doesn't go out of business in the above situation?

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
      The reality for most Californians with Koi ponds is, like when Chloramine water treatment was introduced, we now have another another hurdle to jump. We are looking at generator options for more frequent and longer power outages.
      I am surprised that you just accept that this has to be the way it is as it does not.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

ricshaw is offline Supporting Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      I am surprised that you just accept that this has to be the way it is as it does not.
      I was all in favor of holding PG&E financially responsible... then I thought of PG&E filing bankruptcy, and the State having to take over more responsibility for providing electricity and.....

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
      I was all in favor of holding PG&E financially responsible... then I thought of PG&E filing bankruptcy, and the State having to take over more responsibility for providing electricity and.....
      Whoever runs the company doesn't matter, they'll get sued and have to raise rates to deal with it, and then more people will complain. The real problem is people who sue for anything that inconveniences them.
      Last edited by kimini; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:49 PM.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      ... Last night I brought my generator out run for 30 mins and power went back on a “false” alarm and I’m in the city
      Oh well life goes on
      Good practice run for making sure all is in working order. One day, it probably won't be a false alarm, whether caused by fires or something else. Keeping a working generator (or some other back-up power source) can be a big help. Ponds that are not stocked as heavy can do a little longer without aeration. (I try to control the overall weight of koi in mine, but it still stays pretty heavy.) Cooler water helps, but not a lot that can be done about that. Doing a water change during an outage can aerate the water a little without power.

Power companies may need to clear right-of-way and maintain lines better. I don't know who has authority over the forests in various areas, but proper maintenance and clearing undergrowth may help keep a small fire from becoming nightmare. After all, lots of other things can cause fires too. Vegetation and weather differ between geographic areas and seasons. But I recall once reporting a fire in the woods within a mile of subdivisions. The guy at the fire department casually said, "It's probably just burning up the leaves." I don't think they bothered to send anyone out, and nothing was harmed as far as I know.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234