• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Tips on placing subsurface returns, please?

onebluemcm is offline Senior Member
      is learning at every moment

Feeling:
      Geeky

Tips on placing subsurface returns, please?

So I've been in touch with the polyurea applicator I found locally and I think I'm going to do it. They do all sorts of very big jobs from commercial to state work, so I'm comfortable with his knowledge and expertise.

Plan at this point is to do a bond beam with raised wall and soil walls below the bond beam. Polyurea will be sprayed on a geotextile that will line the pond.

My question is on placement of the returns in the walls with this setup. If I'm aiming for 5.5 - 6ft deep, and water level is ~18" above ground, then I don't have to go down more than 3ft to get the plumbing in for TPRs.

One idea I had was to use a post hole digger and go down to the depth I need keeping 12-18" of soil between the hole and the pond wall, then tunneling horizontally to meet the vertical hole and run plumbing that way. I'm still concerned about the soil collapsing. It's easy to look at a sketch, whether or not the ground will stay is another story.

Obviously I'd go back in behind the TPR with concrete, probably make some sort of form to hold everything in place and flush with the pond wall to hold the concrete back and keep the TPR in place.

Any other tips or ideas for me? Any other way folks do this? Thanks
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by onebluemcm; 1 Week Ago at 09:31 PM.
      Kevin

batman is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've seen sandbags used for filling up plumbing gaps before.

Personally I would put in all plumbing first. Dig narrow trenches and use back fill that will compact. This way your plumbing won't settle later on. Use of a hand compactor is OK. Use sandbags or cement where necessary to hold earth back where walls will be. Pour rebar reinforced perimeter cement ring last on undisturbed soil or compacted fill. Stub off plumbing long as you can cut to size later. Seal all ends to keep dirt out during construction.

Edit: Do the final digging and shaping of the bottom and sides after the bond ring is poured.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by batman; 5 Days Ago at 01:34 AM.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

batman is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've also seen other people where there was a deviation of plan or unexpected wall cave in because of rain fixed by sandbags.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

onebluemcm is offline Senior Member
      is learning at every moment

Feeling:
      Geeky

Yes, dealing with potential precip during the dig is a concern. All too often here in central VA, it's more like a faucet than a shower, getting a few inches in a short amount of time. I might try to find a portable carport type thing on Craigslist or what not to put up over it while we work, at least after any work with equipment is done.
      Kevin