• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Impatiens for in Indoor Pond - Opinions? Suggestions?

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

Impatiens for in Indoor Pond - Opinions? Suggestions?

I've seen many of your pics of beautiful Impatiens growing in ponds. I'd like to try growing some in my Indoor pond with the help of some Hydroponic grow-lights.
      I've never grown Impatiens of any sort, even outdoors so can anyone offer suggestions and advice on what to look for? Are there certain types that do better in water than others? Some that are longer-lived or repeat-blooming?
      Any specific pH requirements? Water flow?

TYVM. I'd really appreciate any info.
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

I would just try regular too start with. how are you going too grow them. do you have a way too barerppt them or are you going too try in gravel. I mostly tuck mine in rocks in the stream and along the edges in the rocks or I did when I had a shade cloth over the whole pond, growing them indoors is a crapshoot. I had some bloom all winter on the c=back porch this year in one of my big pots of alocasia. never tried them under lights. Mostlu the people that do the best have them in the streams where they can get some nutrients from the fish poo in the water. I would try some of the more compact types if you can find them maybe try a sun patien too its a gamble with either one, the thing is you dont want soil on their roots they need too be able too breath.
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Gary!
      I thought I could wash off all the dirt and put them bare root in a floating planter. I used this type successfully with pond plants years ago in my outdoor pond. The plant has access to all of the “nutrients” from the fish poo via the holes in the bottom but the fish can’t get to the plant.

Do impatients typically need more sun or shade when outdoors?

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I tucked some of mine in the calm part of the stream too. I've found that impatiens here in soil
      and direct sun would struggle and wilt during the hottest part of the year. They do better in the
      shade... but when they're bare-rooted in the stream they do great and don't mind the sun nearly as much.
      Last year I put a couple in a floating planter where the roots grew threw some foam media and out exposed
      to the fish. They loved to munch on the roots they could reach and the plant didn't mind as it always had
      roots in the foam where the fish couldn't reach them. It got huge and eventually so large that it flipped the
      planter over so I had to take it out.

Name:  Lower pond 8.2018.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  217.9 KB
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

Oh Steve, they're beautiful! ~ the flowers and the pond! Thanks so much for posting the photo. So sorry for the delayed response, I haven't been able to walk these last 3 days, not doing much better today ... came down the stairs on my butt. Just talking about it in 'What did you do today'.

I really love the pond design. Does it stop there at the right or is that a bridge / flow-through? Would you mind telling me what kind of foam media you used (if you remember)?

If I get a bunch of plants maybe I'll float two or three groupings in different sections of the pond to see where they do best, but I'd rather not buy more of those very expensive floating island planters if this little experiment doesn't work out. The lighting is greater in two-thirds of the pond, and I can add to one-third of that.
      Thanks again! Sincerely appreciated.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
      Oh Steve, they're beautiful! ~ the flowers and the pond! Thanks so much for posting the photo. So sorry for the delayed response, I haven't been able to walk these last 3 days, not doing much better today ... came down the stairs on my butt. Just talking about it in 'What did you do today'.

I really love the pond design. Does it stop there at the right or is that a bridge / flow-through? Would you mind telling me what kind of foam media you used (if you remember)?

If I get a bunch of plants maybe I'll float two or three groupings in different sections of the pond to see where they do best, but I'd rather not buy more of those very expensive floating island planters if this little experiment doesn't work out. The lighting is greater in two-thirds of the pond, and I can add to one-third of that.
      Thanks again! Sincerely appreciated.
      So sorry for your "travels"
      As many of us know first hand, getting older isn't for the weak!

The stream does extend farther to another upper pond and another upper stream... this video from a few
      years ago probably shows the whole layout the best:

https://youtu.be/K8_4fyX2DKw

The foam media was actually what came with the planter when I bought it but I bet you could make something
      similar with just Jap Mat as that is what it seemed to be. I'll look but I don't think I have any pics of the actual
      material. I've made other "islands" and it's really simple from stuff you can find at craft stores. Here's an
      old thread that can give you all kinds of ideas:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...sland-under-20

Be sure to show us what you come up with when you get started!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      So sorry for your "travels"
      As many of us know first hand, getting older isn't for the weak!

The stream does extend farther to another upper pond and another upper stream... this video from a few
      years ago probably shows the whole layout the best:

https://youtu.be/K8_4fyX2DKw

The foam media was actually what came with the planter when I bought it but I bet you could make something
      similar with just Jap Mat as that is what it seemed to be. I'll look but I don't think I have any pics of the actual
      material. I've made other "islands" and it's really simple from stuff you can find at craft stores. Here's an
      old thread that can give you all kinds of ideas:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...sland-under-20

Be sure to show us what you come up with when you get started!
      You're absolutely right, getting old isn't for the weak. Sadly, that page of options was missing from my application.

The aerial view of your pond and property is fabulous! Thank you!

Thank you also for that link to the "Floating Island" thread. There are some good ideas there for other plants that I could try but I would not attempt to use the craft foam or cocoa mat because my fish are indiscriminate "munchers", and that thing would be in pieces in no time. When I had the expensive floating island in the pond previously with the very dense compressed black foam collar, I always found pieces of it in the leaf basket - and it's so dense I had to use a pair of scissors and a screwdriver to make a hole in the side to tie a string for an anchor. When I can walk down steps I'll get the one out of the basement and take some photos in case anyone else is looking for something.
      Maybe the thick foam used in filters? I'll let you know.
      Thanks!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007