• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: No idea what happened here. Please help!!!

drodz is offline Member
      is Loving my KOI

Feeling:
      ----

No idea what happened here. Please help!!!

Hi all,

I bought 6 small (5-7”) koi last Friday (May 3rd) from a very reputable Koi broker. I did all new required steps before putting them in my 2,200 gallon pond. I did not quarintine because the fish already living in the pond are Shubinkins and $0.15 comets I’ve had for over 3 years.

These are my first “expensive” koi and they all came from the same place. So not worried if they brought something and got my comets, shubunkins sick. I know how to treat for bacteria and parasites in case that was the case. My water parameters are excellent, Amonia 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, pH 8.2, kH 9 drops API test. Water temp 78- degrees (if that matters).

Today I notice this Chagoi had lost scales and looks aweful but it was still eating and swimming around. All other fish (koi, comets and shubunkins) are in excellent condition.

I’m clueless to what it could be. I’m setting up a 55-gallon hospital tank and already took him out of the main pond. Any idea what to treat him for?

Thanks
      Attached Images Attached Images      

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Just a wild guess, but could it have gone into a skimmer or rubbed against concrete block. This looks more like trauma, and it is now a wait and see if the fish develops an infection. Keep an eye out for any reddening of the area, indicating infection. If it does happen, I would prefer that you have some Tricide Neo on hand, though some have had good results using a triple antibiotic ointment for treatment. Either way, you will need to have some clove oil or MS-222 to sedate the koi for treatment.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

drodz is offline Member
      is Loving my KOI

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Rich! I had the same impression when I first saw him. I thought he looked like he hit the pond wall head first and maybe got hit on the sides too. But why or who beat him? All my fish are very friendly and I haven’t noticed any agressive behavior towards the new fish. Also my skimmer is an Oase that “floats” on the water so no chance of him getting stuck in there.

I hope he makes a complete recovery. I wanted a Chagoi so bad... I have him on a searate tank with an air stone, small aquarium pump to move water around and I added salt to calm him down and help prevent infections. I’m keeping a very close eye on him. My plan is to make 50% water changes daily.

Any other suggestions? Medicine I can add to help him heal the missing scales??

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Many times a new fish to a new pond will be jittery and any little thing will cause them to panic and crash into walls that they haven't figured out where the boundaries are. Some will jump from a pond, and occasionally fall back in, which is better than continuing to flop around out in the yard. I would put the fish back in the pond, where the filter is keeping better water than you will be able to do with daily water changes. I would also just watch until there is something worthy of treatment. The scales will regrow, but like fingernails, it takes time, and they won't always have the exact same color, so you may be able to see the replaced scales forever.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

It almost looks like there is a beak puncture in the top of him and perhaps those could be beak, "grasp" marks. A heron may have come to visit and this fish got lucky he made it away alive.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

Really poor art work. LOL But look at the marks. He may have been poked and then grasped at some awkward longish angle, which allowed him to escape.

Name:  Inkedbeak poke_LI.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  791.6 KB
      Name:  Inkedgrasp_LI.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  676.5 KB
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

drodz is offline Member
      is Loving my KOI

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I don't think that is the case because 1) my pond is raised with a very narrow edge where a heron or any other animals could stand. 2) I currently have a net in place since I added the new fish to avoid having them jump out of the pond (I learned my lesson after loosing an Aka Matsuba a few months back). 3) I work from home and I go to out to my pond at least every hour to see the fish or feed them. I have never seen herons in the area or flying over.

Here's an UPDATE *** I followed RichToyBox advised and returned the Chagoi back into the main pond. I did this after watching the koi banging all the walls of the plastic hospital tank I put him in. The water parameters in the hospital tank were excellent and I even added some salt to help with stress. This fish went on and kept banging against all the walls. That gave me an indication that maybe that is what caused all the lacerations since I have a few cinder blocks in my main pond to hold water lilies pots.

So with no other fish showing any marks or weird behavior, and being a witness to this Chagoi banging the walls of the hospital tank repeatedly, I decided to let him do his thing in the main pond and wish for the best. If he makes it, good, and if he doesn't at least I tried to save his life.

Thanks Rick and Andrea for your support.

Dennis

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007