• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 8 of 8

    Thread: Turtle in a koi pond... fair to the turtle?

    1. #1
      KoiNC's Avatar
      KoiNC is offline Senior Member
      is is Relaxing by the Pond
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      124

      Turtle in a koi pond... fair to the turtle?

      Hi guys, not looking for a huge philosophical discussion... but is it ok to buy a turtle from the pet store to put in my koi pond? Or is that helping to fuel an industry that is unethical? My daughter would like a turtle but I want to make sure that's not wrong for the turtle, and then of course that it is ok in my pond!

      Thank you in advance.

    2. #2
      tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Augusta,GA
      Posts
      1,339
      Turtles produce a bunch of waste and I am not sure that your water feature can support that waste load as it appears to already be overstoked with koi. Also they are likely to eat your fish.
      Last edited by tbullard; 05-05-2019 at 02:33 PM.

    3. #3
      KoiNC's Avatar
      KoiNC is offline Senior Member
      is is Relaxing by the Pond
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      124
      Quote Originally Posted by tbullard View Post
      Turtles produce a bunch of waste and I am not sure that your water feature can support that waste load as it appears to already be overstoked with koi. Also they are likely to eat your fish.
      Ok, thanks. No turtles.

      I know I'm overloaded on Koi too for the long run- but they're all under 6" and my actual fish load right now is well under guidelines (about 1/3 load if you go by fish length but not 250/Gal per Koi, then yes I am over 4 fish). As they get huge I will properly thin the herd.

    4. #4
      gray cat's Avatar
      gray cat is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring.
       
      Feeling:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2004
      Location
      Winston Salem, NC. Zone 7b
      Posts
      53,331
      Quote Originally Posted by KoiNC View Post
      Hi guys, not looking for a huge philosophical discussion... but is it ok to buy a turtle from the pet store to put in my koi pond? Or is that helping to fuel an industry that is unethical? My daughter would like a turtle but I want to make sure that's not wrong for the turtle, and then of course that it is ok in my pond!

      Thank you in advance.
      I also say no turtles in your pond. Keeping turtles inside is very expensive to keep them healthy. They require lights, heat, swimming areas, dry areas and they grow fast. Once the turtle outgrows an aquarium, then you have to use a stock tank or a patio pond and have a place in your home for one. Unless you would like a turtle for yourself, I would find another pet for her to enjoy.
      Nancy



      Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

    5. #5
      KoiNC's Avatar
      KoiNC is offline Senior Member
      is is Relaxing by the Pond
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      124
      Quote Originally Posted by gray cat View Post
      I also say no turtles in your pond. Keeping turtles inside is very expensive to keep them healthy. They require lights, heat, swimming areas, dry areas and they grow fast. Once the turtle outgrows an aquarium, then you have to use a stock tank or a patio pond and have a place in your home for one. Unless you would like a turtle for yourself, I would find another pet for her to enjoy.
      Thanks Nancy. She has PLENTY of other animals... I think she just wants a zoo. I have zero issue saying no when it is the right thing for the animal.

      Thanks for the input!

    6. #6
      Atticusfinchkoi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      10
      I Keep my red eared in my pond from May to September ( We live in Toronto)

      They don't go after the koi and are as a happy as can beName:  IMG_0425.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  151.4 KB

    7. #7
      Nguyen365's Avatar
      Nguyen365 is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Location
      Bakersfield ca
      Posts
      1,633
      Quote Originally Posted by Atticusfinchkoi View Post
      I Keep my red eared in my pond from May to September ( We live in Toronto)

      They don't go after the koi and are as a happy as can beName:  IMG_0425.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  151.4 KB
      Wow that looks so peaceful Atticus

    8. #8
      pickerel's Avatar
      pickerel is online now Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      SC
      Posts
      1,011
      I also love Turtles and love seeing them in a pond.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •