• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Very unhappy fish and parasites identification help

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi everyone, so treatment went in on Friday the beko is still not happy her tail is going all raggy and green now, I’ll probably get some stick for this but I pp bathed her Saturday night for 3 mins. I’ve scraped today and there are now even more of these little things on her... so no treatment is touching this parasite, I’ve been to another koi dealer today and showed him the videos on my phone he was a bit confused as to why at 600x they was so small... he told me to treat with Colombo Alparex because water temps are 10.5 now. I was looking at this video on YouTube and the costia is clearly visible at 100x (10 seconds in on the video)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t8SBdliwM0c

I managed to film using my phone and scope, some of the movements is just the fluid movement but then you see the little dots moving around very erratically more clearer at the end of the video, I can see it clearly on my phone but the YouTube quality once uploaded isn’t as good.

https://youtu.be/GUyXk4aLF9E

Really think I’m fighting a losing battle now, one of my new baby ones I got last year to grow on is all clamped up now first time that one as been clamped and unhappy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry for all the posts but now I’m confused even more.... I put pure formalin on the slide and still these little things was moving would pure 30% formalin kill a parasite straight away???

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

If you look at the Youtube video in native resolution, 360p, then you cannot really see anything, but raising the resolution to the 2160p, 4k they are visible. I believe that the pond needs to be treated with something that will kill the costia, but I think it may require increasing temperature, which for the entire pond may not be possible. I would look into some form of isolation tank, like an 8 foot diameter 2 foot deep kids swimming pool, and a heater to raise the temperature. This increase in temperature is to provide an increased metabolism for the fish, so the fish can fight off irritations better, but also, the treatments that you have done have been at marginal temperatures. Healthy fish can and normally do thrive with low numbers of parasites when their stress levels are low, but if they become stressed those low numbers multiply rapidly taking the fish down. No matter what treatment is used, it is nearly impossible to get rid of all parasites without getting rid of all fish. The treatments lower the numbers to a level that the fish can tolerate and as they calm their stress levels, the numbers will not multiply.

Because of the temperature sensitivity of the formalin, I would do a full 2ppm, as measured, as shown previously, of PP for a minimum of 4 hours. If you are running it through the filters, which I always did, the PP is neutralized quicker than it is in a bypassed filter, so measuring every 10 or 15 minutes and bumping up the level to maintain the 2ppm is necessary. Between higher temperatures and treatment, the fish should start to recover. Even if the fish starts to come around, I would repeat the treatment about every third day for 3 treatments and then watch and wait.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      If you look at the Youtube video in native resolution, 360p, then you cannot really see anything, but raising the resolution to the 2160p, 4k they are visible. I believe that the pond needs to be treated with something that will kill the costia, but I think it may require increasing temperature, which for the entire pond may not be possible. I would look into some form of isolation tank, like an 8 foot diameter 2 foot deep kids swimming pool, and a heater to raise the temperature. This increase in temperature is to provide an increased metabolism for the fish, so the fish can fight off irritations better, but also, the treatments that you have done have been at marginal temperatures. Healthy fish can and normally do thrive with low numbers of parasites when their stress levels are low, but if they become stressed those low numbers multiply rapidly taking the fish down. No matter what treatment is used, it is nearly impossible to get rid of all parasites without getting rid of all fish. The treatments lower the numbers to a level that the fish can tolerate and as they calm their stress levels, the numbers will not multiply.

Because of the temperature sensitivity of the formalin, I would do a full 2ppm, as measured, as shown previously, of PP for a minimum of 4 hours. If you are running it through the filters, which I always did, the PP is neutralized quicker than it is in a bypassed filter, so measuring every 10 or 15 minutes and bumping up the level to maintain the 2ppm is necessary. Between higher temperatures and treatment, the fish should start to recover. Even if the fish starts to come around, I would repeat the treatment about every third day for 3 treatments and then watch and wait.
      Thanks Rich! I’ve brought a heat pump for my pond soon as it’s delivered I’ll install it and start the pp treatment just hope it gets here in time

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A glimmer of hope....yesterday I started to salt the pond I raised it by .8ppt (.08%) with a aim similar to the one in the post I shared a few days ago. This morning I’ve got outside to all fish happy swimming around, even the beko! I thought it might be a little too good to be true so I’ve watch her over 30 minutes and she only once went to the bottom for a few minutes then she’s swimming around with all the rest again something she’s not done for well over a week.

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi everyone I’ve been meaning to finish this post off for nearly 2 months now.... so after rising the salt in the pond a lot over 3 days (think I got to .3% that might not be right because it was 3 months ago I did it...) I also went ahead and pp bathed the bekko (how it said in the post I added above) i thought the way she was going she was going to die so if she didn’t survive the pp unfortunately she was going to die anyway so it was worth a try... but she had the pp didn’t show any signs of distress then she went back into the pond.

After 3 days I had a big spike in ammonia, maybe from salting too fast I don’t know? So then I ended up having to do big water changers which of course brought the salt levels back down. Water temps was still around 10oC I managed to get the ammonia under control after a few days so then I left the pond to settle after that. I then noticed the bekko wasn’t sat on the bottom so much but was at the water inlet and her skin started to peel off her face, so I think the pp bath burnt her gills and skin on her face... I wasn’t too sure she’d make it, I was expecting every morning to come out and found her floating on top... but as the weeks went on the water temps started rising and she started looking better her green tail was starting to grow new fins, her face was healing and she was swimming around with the other fish, then probably another week I noticed her starting to eat! After that I knew she’d be ok, and now to look at her you’d never know what she’s been through!!

I will be covering the pond over this winter and adding a little heat to keep temps above 13oC because I don’t want to go through this again! Lol!

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I love happy endings Great job!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

Hope J is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

She looks incredible! What was wrong with her?

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Hope J View Post
      She looks incredible! What was wrong with her?
      Costia attack that wouldn’t die with every treatment I hit them with

trapper is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the happy ending update, good to hear..

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345