• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Very unhappy fish and parasites identification help

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I always have ammonia binder/water conditioner on hand. As a rule of thumb, I would keep enough on hand to treat the entire pond twice. I like to use a conditioner that also treats for chloramines. Our water now (we're on well water currently) but I still prefer to use one that could treat chloramines. I use Safe by Seachem.
      I would get the binder, add enough for the reading you're getting and see how they do.

Within this thread essentially all of the bases are covered.
      I have suggested how to deal with the potential water issue regarding ammonia or chloramines, Stephen advised to make sure that you remove parasites as a possibility and to s/s thoroughly and Richtoybox has counseled you on how to deal with the pH concerns.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      I always have ammonia binder/water conditioner on hand. As a rule of thumb, I would keep enough on hand to treat the entire pond twice. I like to use a conditioner that also treats for chloramines. Our water now (we're on well water currently) but I still prefer to use one that could treat chloramines. I use Safe by Seachem.
      I would get the binder, add enough for the reading you're getting and see how they do.

Within this thread essentially all of the bases are covered.
      I have suggested how to deal with the potential water issue regarding ammonia or chloramines, Stephen advised to make sure that you remove parasites as a possibility and to s/s thoroughly and Richtoybox has counseled you on how to deal with the pH concerns.
      Hi, had a crazy day at work today should of been finished hours ago so only just managed to get to my koi dealers before they closed. These are the only 2 water treatments they do so not sure which one I should use? Can’t do any scrapes this evening now because I’ve got to go to eye casualty now because I’ve got a small bit of metal in my eye so need to get that removed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Use the orange/gold one as it lists that it's for chloramines. Until we hear conclusively that you do NOT have chloramines, use this one.
      I don't see a calculation on there for the amount of ammonia/chloramine each dose treats for so we will have to guess.

If it were my pond, I would do a 1/4 dose per the bottle recommendations. That means 25ml per 200 gallons.
      Do as they suggest and mix it with pond water in a bucket and distribute around the pond. Let the air in the pond mix it for you then test again. If you have any ammonia reading, repeat.

Sorry to hear about the eye. Best wishes with that. I've had a metal sliver in my eye and it's no fun.

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Use the orange/gold one as it lists that it's for chloramines. Until we hear conclusively that you do NOT have chloramines, use this one.
      I don't see a calculation on there for the amount of ammonia/chloramine each dose treats for so we will have to guess.

If it were my pond, I would do a 1/4 dose per the bottle recommendations. That means 25ml per 200 gallons.
      Do as they suggest and mix it with pond water in a bucket and distribute around the pond. Let the air in the pond mix it for you then test again. If you have any ammonia reading, repeat.

Sorry to hear about the eye. Best wishes with that. I've had a metal sliver in my eye and it's no fun.
      Thank you! Luckily I’m off work tomorrow so I’ll be up bright and early to do my scrapes

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oh one more thing, when I was at my koi dealers there water comes from the same supplier and they run there water via a Evolution Aqua Dechlorinator and these filter not just chlorine so I’m wondering if I should order one of these for the future. They did say a few years ago they was having problems that they just couldn’t pinpoint all water tests was fine no parasites but all there fish was very unhappy and this lasted a few weeks, they said they just put it down to something that had been put in the water, very similar to what I’m going through now so it does make me wonder...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That would be fine. Still plan on keeping a supply of the conditioner in reserve. It's a smart thing to have on hand for situations like this one. These things never seem to happen when we can run down to the store and pick up conditioner. They're almost always after stores or closed or holidays. Murphy and his blasted luck!

The main thing with filters like the one you're showing is that they have a speed limit, rather, a limit on how much they filter effectively.
      So long as you don't exceed that and you don't expend the filter, you're good.

That is interesting about the koi dealer's experience. It's hard to say what is going on but I'm glad it resolved for him.

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by rickya View Post
      When I first installed the shower filter a year ago every morning I’d come down to foam on the top and it collects in the skimmer over night so have to clear the skimmer in the morning. Once I’ve cleared the skimmer in the morning no foam builds up. Last year I used some pond balls (in pic below) and after a week or so the foam almost went, I added some more of these about 3 weeks ago and I also added more yesterday but still getting the foam.

Yeah course I’ll keep an eye on the water temps but I do know on a hot day like we had this weekend the water temp can rise 2oC in the day and it lost 1oC over night

Thanks

Your welcome. That is one way to deal with DOCs if it's working for you (most of the time). Another is to change more water (with a conditioner if your water contains chlorine/chloramine/heavy metals etc.), feed less, clear out your mechanical filter(s) more often. Would you itemize your filtration system please including the type of media, turn-over rate, model of your skimmer. What biological filter(s) did you have before installing the shower or is this an addition to. Just by design showers can approximate your ambient air temperature. How well does your bottom drain clear your pond floor?
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi everyone, right spent the morning scraping and scoping found nothing. I didn’t put any water conditioner in the pond last night because it was late when I got back from eye casualty but while I was scoping this morning my water supplier rang to say 100% they don’t put chloramine in my water, so I used the blue liquid one that takes away chlorine and heavy metals. I have brought some DPD4 tablets so I can test my pond water in the future to make sure that no chlorine is in the pond.

One thing I did notice this morning is that there was no foam...now I’m not sure if it’s because I added the pond balls or if it’s because the trickle in has been turned off...?

For my filters I use a bbf bead filter that doesn’t have beads but has 100lt of k1 media inside, the water flows though the bottom of the bbf filter pump fed via a 15000lt pump up through the k1 then it goes through a roto shower tube back to the pond, I estimate the pond turns over roughly every hour or just over after taking in consideration the pipe length from the pump to the filter. When I converted from bead to k1 I put a few air stones in the bottom of the filter so I can bubble it every few days and flush it through, it seems to work very well when I was heavy feeding last summer never had a problem with ammonia or nitrite.

I used to have a bottom drain years ago when I had a multi bay filter but I couldn’t use the gravity fed bottom drain when I changed from the multi bay to this filter system a few years ago, but the bottom of the pond is always clean the air stone does a good job of not letting much settle on the bottom and it goes into the skimmer or in the pump into the filter.

So I guess now it’s just a waiting game to see if they calm down and settle, I’m not sure if this will make them stressed but my water temps have dropped from 14oC at the weekend to 12oC now? Ph still holding around 8.3

Thanks for everyone’s help I really appreciate it!

My beko I scarped looking very unhappy

They do seem a little more settled after the top up water has been turned off...excuse my dog he thinks the pond is his personal drinking bowl lol

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So, aside from the amount of discomfort while you were doing the s/s on the Bekko, do they seem to be acting better?

One last thing, did you ever test the water after the filter you were using? Or directly from your tap?
      I know the Bekko was the koi that was exhibiting the clamping earlier, has that behavior declined?

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      I haven't read the whole thread but pretty sure that's a gill fluke in the first pic. They lay eggs, have to treat more than once
      Attached Images Attached Images  

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So, aside from the amount of discomfort while you were doing the s/s on the Bekko, do they seem to be acting better?

One last thing, did you ever test the water after the filter you were using? Or directly from your tap?
      I know the Bekko was the koi that was exhibiting the clamping earlier, has that behavior declined?
      No the beko’s behaviour hasn’t changed still the same but there seems to be less flashing over all, the ogan still brings its head out the water and goes back down then let’s bubbles over its gills. Yep I tested my tap water and water from the filter all zero ammonia, when I get the chlorine testing tablets I’ll test to see if chlorine is going through the filter.

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
      I haven't read the whole thread but pretty sure that's a gill fluke in the first pic. They lay eggs, have to treat more than once
      I thought the same thing but I couldn’t fully focus on it and it wasn’t moving. I only treated once with the fluke treatment because I didn’t know it didn’t kill the eggs...

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Been doing some more scrapes my wife’s been helping so managed to get right in the gill plate couldn’t find and gill flukes but I’ve found what I thought was costia but my wife isn’t too sure... my microscope doesn’t zoom in far enough to confirm fully, I’ve tried uploading videos on YouTube but the quality isn’t great. She’s got me second guessing myself now whether it’s costia or not lol

https://youtu.be/jeqzjAEeouc

https://youtu.be/FzWWQ1XLt_4

https://youtu.be/g-fTrzFr_w0

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just realised my microscope zooms to 400x so all them videos are 400x. just looked on YouTube at costia 400x and what I’m seeing is a lot smaller...

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      3rd video looks like costia but looks like you are focusing wrong on something else. Costia looks like flipping commas
      Li

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for everyone’s help! This is my microscope that I’m using when I change the end cap it will magnify up to 600x so the videos without the needle is 600x the video with the needle is 400x. When looking at this video on YouTube they look bigger than what I’m looking at, but I treated for costia last weekend so could these im looking at be small because they are new ones just growing?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QsYjFasEh6o

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you treated for costia and flukes before the new fish, or if you are seeing activity when you read the scope, I would treat again.
      We've addressed the water issues so if they are still unhappy then a shotgun approach may be the next course to take. I would do a course of whatever you are using for costia and then follow it up with a dose of the FlukeM.

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I treated for flukes before the new fish but I did treat costia when the new fish was in the pond. I used the instructions as it says on the bottles so MG was 10ml per 1000 Litres (200 Gallons) and the Kockney Koi Malachite is 1%
      For formalin I used 10ml per 500 Litres (100 Gallons) because the water was over 14oC (if it’s under you half the dose)
      Is this the standard dose everybody else uses?

Thanks

Ricky

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The formulations we have in the US are usually mixed with all three together, I'm afraid I don't have the a breakdown of then individually.
      Are there instructions on the label?

rickya is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I’ve not got any mg/f but I’ve got pp the mg/f didn’t get rid of the costia on last treatment so I’ll hit them with pp has it says on Duncan Griffiths website, I’ll keep everyone informed on how it goes and if this solves the problems

Thank you

Ricky

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast