• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: 5" Dragon Scale Kagami Goi?

Big is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

5" Dragon Scale Kagami Goi?

Longtime fishkeeper, but new to Koi and this forum. Not sure if this is the correct I.D. on my fish. Difficult to find decisive info via Google on armor scale quality/genetics/uncommon? This guy is VERY different from the 9 other juvenile koi in the tank. Hopefully this is the right place to post this.

-This guy is at 5" growing faster than the others always first on food.
      -very strong, likes to jump
      -Also, way more active/speedy/torpedo-like/streamlined than the other juvenile sanke and ogons in the tank. Reminds me of an ocean tuna the way he? moves
      -has pretty much full scaling above and below the lateral line; and what seems like a heavy bit of some cyprinidae sp. genes going on???

I greatly appreciate any assessment or knowledge thrown my way regarding this little guy.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

None of what I am about to tell you is meant to be mean spirited in any way but, in the big picture of Koi keeping in Japan, is the truth. What you have is a Doitsu Kohaku. It is not a very good example of the variety as it is very messy in every way. The pattern is unbalanced and Beni covers the head almost entirely which, in itself, is not desired at all. The Beni is also uneven and looks to be breaking down on the right side of the Koi.

The word Kagamigoi has nothing to do with what variety this Koi is. It just means "Doitsu with some scales" but this is not an accurate description of what you are seeing. This is a Doitsu Koi covered in scales. Kagamigoi would be the types of Doitsu Koi with a few random scales over the body which is not ideal.

Ishigaki Doitsu is the most prized type to have. It will have a full row of scales down the back and a full row on either lateral line. Kawagoi Doitsu is the second most prized type as it has absolutely no scales on it. The third, and the least prized, is what you have. It is called Ishigaki Doitsu. It translates as "stone wall". It is when a Doitsu Koi is covered with large round scales. The reason you don't see many of these is that the Japanese breeders dispose of them as they are considered worthless.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007