• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Intex. The Pros, and Cons.

JaguarGod087 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Intex. The Pros, and Cons.

Seriously thinking about taking a 5k gallon intex metal frame pool, and putting a bottom drain in it. this seems like it would reduce the costs of building a pond HEAVILY. It would also make gravity feeding so easy. Digging one into the ground seems insanely expensive.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

HaigyoHakushaku is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

The pros of Intex pools are as you'd expect. Cheap, big, easy to setup. Cons is that they can be quite ugly (though that is subjective) and eventually it may leak after long use or accidents. They are used both as outdoor ponds for koi as well as indoor ponds (or outdoor if you live in the tropics) for tropical monster fish too big for standard tanks.

Although koi are not even close to as hazardous to Intex pools as large South American catfish or freshwater stingrays so the chances of the koi themselves damaging the Intex pool is low. Avoid putting things like Plecostomus in with the koi during warmer months as plecos can potentially chew right through it over time. Intex pools last quite a long time as ponds as they're not being continuously subjected to chlorine/chloramine.

But the gist of it is, it's ugly. But you get gallons per couple cents and it gets cheaper per gallon as you go bigger.

jcardona1 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It really comes down to how much you care about aesthetics. For me a koi pond is as much about looks and enhancing my back yard as it is keeping koi. The beauty of a pond goes hand in hand with the beauty of koi in my opinion. If I had to keep koi in a PVC-framed blue above ground swimming pool, I would not be keeping koi in the first place and would find something else to waste my money on. I don't see the appeal of having beautiful fish showcased in such an ugly enclosure but that's just my two pennies.

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It will reduce the costs but bottom drains in an above ground pool aren't that easy. Intex pools aren't exactly that thick.
      I've put a couple bottom drains in a couple of Intex pools with metal frames but you're talking about a larger pool which will have more water weight putting stress on any cuts you put into it. The largest one I ever did it with was the ones that hold roughly 1,000 gallons. The more height and weight of water, the more stress on those incursion points.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I like my Intex metal framed pool a lot but they have a finite life which is a lot shorter than a liner.
      Mine lasted about 8 years in my garage sitting on carpeting but when it started leaking a little I emptied
      it and the pool liner had literally welded itself to the carpeting and it disintegrated as I tried to lift it off that carpeting.
      So if you go this route I'd weigh the cheaper cost with having to replace it every few years too.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Long term these tanks are much better but also cost $600. Other option is using a water tank and cutting the top off of it. I used one before and sold it and the guy buried it in the ground. The late norm Walsh did the same and hooked up a true bottom drain. I can get the tanks at tractor supply 2 minutes from my house and may get 1 or 2 down the road.

Can bury these and also get them used..long term above ground doesnt provide the viewing as well as a semi underground
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by kevin32; 04-18-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Maybe you can make a pond out of a used water container. Those intex aren’t really for permanent pond installation I don’t think
      Last edited by Nguyen365; 04-18-2019 at 11:53 PM.

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

The good thing is it is so easy to remove fish Waste. I've had great results the circulation and fish swimming also kicks up the waste to my midwater intex..no bottom drain needed on this tank

Hope J is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I use an Intex 10' × 30" and love it! Cheap, easy to set up and it serves its purpose, for now. I got mine on sale for $70.00 and free shipping. It's being used as a temporary Koiponics system (IDK if that's a real word or not). It came with a built in pump and filter but they obviously can't handle the load, not even a little. It is very easy to clean and I like the fact that I can move it to another location if I want to. It isn't very pretty to look at but pond plants and decorative gardening help with this. I know it won't last forever but for now, it's perfect.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007