• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Performance Pro Artesian 2 -pump question - Impellers

Family_Man is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Performance Pro Artesian 2 -pump question - Impellers

If I have an Performance pro Artisan 2 pump, let's say a 1/2 HP, 7,600 GPH model. I know I need a smaller flow rate for my pond (3,900 GPH target) and don't really want to spend another $600+ on a new pump It looks like I can change the flow characteristics of that pump by simply changing the impeller (Even if the motor is overpowered)

"Impeller interchangeability allows you to easily change your pumps performance" where it appears the impeller is what dictates the flow amount given enough motor power

has anybody changed the impeller on this pump?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Family_Man View Post
      If I have an Performance pro Artisan 2 pump, let's say a 1/2 HP, 7,600 GPH model. I know I need a smaller flow rate for my pond (3,900 GPH target) and don't really want to spend another $600+ on a new pump It looks like I can change the flow characteristics of that pump by simply changing the impeller (Even if the motor is overpowered)

"Impeller interchangeability allows you to easily change your pumps performance" where it appears the impeller is what dictates the flow amount given enough motor power

has anybody changed the impeller on this pump?

Contact the Manufacturer, they can do it for you or talk to you about doing it yourself.

https://www.performancepropumps.com/contact-us/
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

As an FYI, I did talk to the Performance Pro engineer and confirmed the impeller model does dictate the flow rate and that can be changed as long as you have enough power for that given impeller

joe09 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Family_Man View Post
      As an FYI, I did talk to the Performance Pro engineer and confirmed the impeller model does dictate the flow rate and that can be changed as long as you have enough power for that given impeller
      i have the same pump,what i did is to split the out flow between two waterfall filters,use a three way adjustable valve to control the flow.you can never have a enough filtration.

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm sure you know that you can also place a ball valve on the output to reduce flow. I have the same pump that I was running at full flow in prior years , due to long pipe runs and multiple output branches. I experimented this year with removing a MC50 , which reduced head pressure , and allowed increased flow rate. The unintended consequence, however, is that now I had too much flow for my Zakki sieve capacity. Luckily, I have a ball valve in place, and was able to dial back the flow to get the maximum flow through the sieve without causing problems.

cottagefog is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

"Impeller interchangeability allows you to easily change your pumps performance" So is there a possibility that changing the impeller to INCREASE the flow from 7600 mph on that same model pump?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The Performance Pro engineer also suggested partially closing the valve after the MC50 to reduce the flow and was not concerned about the load on the motor. Since doing this, my pond is now crystal clear so where it appears I likely had too much flow through the bead filter and probably was stirring up the pond too much causing more suspended particles. Over time I will sell off both 7,600 gah pumps and replace with the 3900 GPH model as it uses significantly less power and seems to be the right flow for best results for my particular pond

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007