• Tired

Thread: The Most Simple Pond Possible.

JaguarGod087 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The Most Simple Pond Possible.

Hello Everyone

I have looked at this forum for years, and I finally have my own house sitting on half of a acre. Also with no H.O.A. Being a fan of fish for many years. I have always wanted a Koi pond of my own.
      I was wondering what would be the most simple pond possible for me to make. I am looking for around 2,000 Gallons. I think the main problem is simple, and easy plumbing/filtration. I have been looking
      at the eazypod system. However it seems I could build one with k1 media myself easily. I am curious as to how I would plumb it as it would be 1-2 bottom drains. There is so much information on all of this. that it is totally staggering. I also live in virginia, and I wonder if 4 feet deep would be enough for the pond not to totally freeze over. I guess what I am asking is. What would really be the simplest pond one could build? Also is 2,000 gallons a good amount for a sizeable amount of koi. Say half a dozen? I have included a small drawing of my backyard. I do have access to 120v. Pleas help >.<.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Welcome and thanks for joining Koiphen!

I've never lived in Virginia but unless the winters are very severe, 4' deep should be fine
      and especially with some sort of plastic winter cover to hold some heat and keep the wind
      off the water. Many don't even see ice on the pond surface using a simple cover like this.

With an 8' floor you should only need a single 4" BD. Simple is not necessarily "cheap", but it can
      be made to be very simple to maintain.
      So with no budget I'd run my BD and and a skimmer to an Ultra III sieve and to a pump flowing
      about 6k gph. I'd send 4k gph to a shower and return via a stream/falls and I'd send 2k gph to
      a sand and gravel filter and return 1k gph each to two different tpr's.

Enjoy your journey and thanks again for joining Koiphen
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would suggest at least a 5,000 gallon pond. Easier to maintain and probably minimal difference in cost to build.

My 1,000 gallon pond can freeze pretty quickly here, but my 5,000 gallon pond usually only gets ice around edges when it is cold. It is 3 foot deep.
      Nancy

Overwhelmed is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

We are in northern Virginia and have a goldfish/water garden that is 3.5 feet deep at the deepest section. The first winter with our pond we didn't cover it and got a good 4" or more of ice on top. We had an air disk and a Pond Breather to keep holes open in the ice and the fish were fine. But clearing all the snow off the frozen surface to let in sunlight was a lot of work.

Every year since then, we have built a greenhouse cover for the pond and have never had even the slightest bit of ice on the water surface, even when temperatures drop below zero on the few nights that it gets that low. Also we can keep everything running year round with the pond covered and the water temperature rarely goes below 45 degrees.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you so much :D

My main problem deals with plumbing in that. The entire yard is level, and so the pond for simplicity would be ground level, and not go above ground. I am having a hard time thinking about how I would feed a bd to a filter via gravity. Also that sieve is 1600. Jeez >.<. I plant to dig the entire thing by hand to mitigate cost. I have no idea what I would do with the extra dirt. It was a possibly idea. That I line the outside with cinder blocks, and fill them with the dirt. to make it larger. I plan to build this over the course of a year or so. If I were to use cinder blocks filled with dirt I could add gallons and height for cheap.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hey hey northern va. I am from manassas :D. I currently live in locust grove though. Were I live it may be possible to do a mud pond. as the soil should all be clay.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This may be possible to due. As I may build upwards with cinderblocks filled with earth. I can easily gain more gallons that way. However I plan to dig the pond by hand >,<

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007