• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: No Niche Skimmers

Phamkq is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No Niche Skimmers

I am thinking of adding one, sharing a line with my two current Bottom drains, basically just using a Tee.

My pond loses water in the summer months due to full sun.

1) If i were to install this, would it need to be at water level or can it be like 5 inches underwater? (my biggest fear would it be sucking in air)
      2) if i need to drain the pond but want the pump to continue working, can i install a ball valve to shut off the No Niche so that it doesnt suck in air?
      3) Would i need another check valve if its already sharing the same inlet line as the two skimmers?
      4) Are there any on the market that has a 2 or above inlet? (i can always reduce).

jcardona1 is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Comments below

Quote Originally Posted by Phamkq View Post
      I am thinking of adding one, sharing a line with my two current Bottom drains, basically just using a Tee.

My pond loses water in the summer months due to full sun.

1) If i were to install this, would it need to be at water level or can it be like 5 inches underwater? (my biggest fear would it be sucking in air) Zac's skimmer has 6" of travel http://deepwaterkoi.com/Large-No-Niche-Skimmer-LNNS.htm
      2) if i need to drain the pond but want the pump to continue working, can i install a ball valve to shut off the No Niche so that it doesnt suck in air? Yes
      3) Would i need another check valve if its already sharing the same inlet line as the two skimmers? Maybe, depends on your setup. Check valve is intended to keep your pump primed so if the check valve is closer to the pump before all the tees and inputs then no additional valves needed
      4) Are there any on the market that has a 2 or above inlet? (i can always reduce).See link above, Zac can make it any size you need.

DangerDave is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My own experience with these (not Zac's) were plagued with issues. The inlet was 1 1/2" which was kind of small. The basket was 5" I think but some days it would fill up. My biggest issue is it was plumbed free into the pond but I had braces to keep in place. On occasion the draw would be sever enough that it would turn into a boat and pop up and defeat the goal of skimming.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

I use Living Water Solutions no niche skimmer in my upper pond and they come with options for 3" or 4" outputs
      along with a water level range of about 5.5";

https://livingwatersolutions.myshopi...-niche-skimmer

I don't think teeing it off a BD is a good idea and instead would run it on a line of it's own. You won't have
      much control of flow between the BD and skimmer in a tee configuration.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away