• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Pond basket vs. Regular pot for water lily.

Scarface is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Pond basket vs. Regular pot for water lily.

I have a lily indoors in my aquarium that I'm planning on potting and transporting to my outdoor tub, when it gets consistently warm outside. Therefore, I just purchased a pond basket, the ones that allow water to circulate throughout all the sides. Now what's bugging me is I read somewhere that these are great for pond plants, but for lilies, specifically, it's better to use regular pots made for terrestrial plants. I did some more research and found another writer recommending this as well. Now comes my pet peeve. Not one of them cared to explain why. You would think if they made a particular mention not to do something, then they would explain their rationale. But no, not the case. Perhaps even they know not why they made the advice. Maybe they are simply guilty of repeating regurgitated information from somehwere. I don't know, and I don't care. I just want an answer. What should I go with, or does it really matter? Thank you all for your time.
      Last edited by Scarface; 04-13-2019 at 02:14 AM.

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We've used both standard nursery pots with large drain openings in the bottom and the plastic mesh aquatic baskets with great success. For the nursery pots we put landscape cloth in the botttom to help keep roots and dirt in. For dirt we use a heavy clay soil mix so the nursery pots are our choice (less clay leaches out) . Many commercial growers use hanging flower baskets for retail mature plant sales.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

danzcool is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Benicia, CA, still on the bay so that it cools off nightly but far enough from the coast to be nice.
      Water lilies are heavy feeders. It can work both ways, but I personally use wide flat pots with no holes and put plenty of fertilizer in the mix (osmocote plus pond tabs), the no-holes pot means only the top surface is exposed to the pond and the water is less likely to go green because of the heavy fertilizer.
      Koiphen member since 05-13-2004
      This one time, at band camp....

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

I have always planted lilies in pots with no holes in the bottom. The wider the better because the tubers like to spread out a lot.

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You were asking why the preference and for us transplanting seems to be easier with solid sided pots. Both grow well. In shallow pools we have also used the cheap rectangular black shallow dish pans Walmart sells. Water liliy pots don't need bottom holes although ones with bottom holes have less tendency to get black and nasty on the bottom. We have access to a large variety of sizes of free nursery pots at the neighborhood plant waste recycling center and this is why we go this route.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

Scarface is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I just needed reassurance that I wasn't going to be making a big mistake. Yes, I was talking about the mesh pond basket. I have a dwarf pond lily N. minuta, and didn't want to mess this up. The mesh basket I purchased is 10" by 10" wide. Any ideas for the best water temperature to place the lily outside?

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

I think that putting things out early in cold water really doesn't give them a head start. They don't take off until the water is in the 70s. April is always iffy; May is a sure thing...but that's here in SC.

Your lily will grow and thrive in any pot if it gets plenty of sun and the roots have enough room, good soil, and plenty of fertilizer. Don't worry too much about the type of pot you bought...you can change it out next year. That's one thing about water lilies, they outgrow their containers and have to be divided and re-potted. I've got one that I have been re-potting for over 25 years.
      Last edited by pickerel; 04-14-2019 at 08:37 AM.