• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Pond filter retrofit B4 hubby makes me fill it in!

swngdncr is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for all the info... I have a couple of questions after going over this with my husband. Right now we have what I believe is called BioFalls. It's a big container at the top of the waterfall. The water is pumped from the skimmer and fills the bio-falls from the bottom. The Bio falls are filled with some kind of media in sacks, I think it might be lava rock. First question is can we eliminate the Shower Bio-Filter and just use the existing BioFalls? Perhaps use a different media? I assume that the volume of water exiting the S&G would be sufficient to run the falls if we size the pump correctly. In the current set up, a 3500 GPH pump is needed to lift the water from the skimmer to the falls and get sufficient flow. But as yet, I haven't thought of an esthetic way to get the water from the Shower Bio-Filter into the falls. AGain, I sure appreciate all the advice here. Thanks . -cj-

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is Busy and

Feeling:
      Tired

You could turn the biofalls into a small moving bed filter, only because it’s already there , but it is probably too small to be very effective. The Aquascape industry calls them “Bio” filters , but they are not very efficient at Bio filtration. Read up on the difference between shower filters , and moving bed filters.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Old Pond upgrade/renovation with Zakki Filter

Been a while since I've been here.. life took some difficult turns... but wanted to give an update on our project. We've followed the suggestions here to used a Zakki and SG Filter. But, the project of course gets bigger.. need to fix this, change that etc. But, here are a few photos. The pond after spring cleaning. What was a vault in a underground box of sorts that once held a UV filter has all been torn out and temporary connections made. We've, well mostly my husband, built the platform for the equipment. Trenches to go from the skimmer to the filters is dug, working on the trench to take the pipe to the waterfall. Started on the S&G filters. We'll install a retro bottom drain and have two inlets to the Zacci, one for the bottom drain and one from the skimmer. We opted not to do anything with the waterfall... that just got to be way too much, and Steve at High Desert Koi has been helping us, and thinks it won't be needed. We actually only have one Koi now, the rest are gold fish. And go tell, for the first time we have a huge crop of baby goldfish, 14! Go tell, we've had the pond for probably 20 years, and never had more than one or two babies. Thanks to all for your advice. Hubby has kind of taken over the project and I've been demoted to able assistant... ;-) For some reason the program uploaded all the pictures landscape instead of portrait, I'll see if I can figure out how to fix that.. but you get the idea... -cj-
      Attached Images Attached Images      

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Great to see you back posting! And great filter upgrades. Those rocks in the pond need to go though to make the
      BD work well. The pictures being turned are from the way you're holding the phone/tablet. Here's a tutorial
      that might help:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...s-on-the-forum
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks... you can't see in the photo, but there is an area at the bottom where all the rocks have been cleared out and spot made for the bottom drain. The fellow that does the cleaning and also builds ponds seemed think the cleared area was large enough, but maybe we need to pull out more....

pickerel is online now Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Now all you have to do is train the fish to poop only in the cleared out area. Sorry, I couldn't resist. After participating in Koiphen for a year, I have to admit that I cringe when I see all those rocks. I used to think they are attractive but now realize how much "stuff" they trap. For healthy water, your goal should be to get as much of the bad stuff out of the water as possible, and as quickly as possible. It's a very attractive pond, and you have done a great job on improving the filtration. Congratulations on your work so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12