• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Curious if long fins are possible doitsu female standard fin.

Koigarden is offline Member
      is happy as a clam

Feeling:
      Friendly

Curious if long fins are possible doitsu female standard fin.

Is there a chart you can link or maybe you have some suggestions.

I'm considering trying a spawn of some long fin koi and I have a standard fin doitsu female only. I would need to buy some males or grow some. I have fingerling long fins in the grow tank so it could be a while! So what would I need to get to cross with her and what do you usually get with doitsu crosses that might be long fin? Is there some expected colors you get?

I can include her picture. I don't know how old she is. Do you think she is of breeding age? She's 3# and 17.5 inches.

Also what is the chance she's going to get hurt or sick. Is it like 30%? Do you breeders lose a few females when you breed them? I'd hate to lose a pet.
      https://www.facebook.com/chit.chatty...type=3&theater Also does it matter if she has carp pox in the fall. Is that transferred to her offspring?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

I've never tried to breed longfins or crossed them with standard fins. I've heard you can get longfins from such a crossing, but don't have any verification of that.

I suspect that color and pattern would be unrelated to fin length.

A healthy 17.5" female should be able to breed if the males are mature and the breeding environment is right. Though I have never lost of koi when breeding, I understand that others have, and there is some risk. To keep her from getting beaten up, it's probably best not to breed a female with too many males or ones that are much larger. The breeding should happen in a pond or tub that has nothing for the koi to scratch themselves against such as sharp rocks.

Not sure about the carp pox.

FRK is offline Supporting Member
      is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

Matt is correct that you can get some long fins in a mixed spawn. In my Mutt pond there are a mix of long and regular fin who flock spawn and produce a few long fin. That being said though of course your best results will be controled spawns matching fin, color and patern types that you think will best match what you would like to produce. For the safety of the female you should spawn in a separate tank and be prepared to separate the female from the males a couple of hours after the first eggs are seen. If not the males will relentlesly persue the female long after she is exausted and week.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Koigarden View Post
      Is there a chart you can link or maybe you have some suggestions.

I'm considering trying a spawn of some long fin koi and I have a standard fin doitsu female only. I would need to buy some males or grow some. I have fingerling long fins in the grow tank so it could be a while! So what would I need to get to cross with her and what do you usually get with doitsu crosses that might be long fin? Is there some expected colors you get?

I can include her picture. I don't know how old she is. Do you think she is of breeding age? She's 3# and 17.5 inches.

Also what is the chance she's going to get hurt or sick. Is it like 30%? Do you breeders lose a few females when you breed them? I'd hate to lose a pet.
      https://www.facebook.com/chit.chatty...type=3&theater Also does it matter if she has carp pox in the fall. Is that transferred to her offspring?
      yep

Koigarden is offline Member
      is happy as a clam

Feeling:
      Friendly

Oh that's a huge bummer about the carp pox. I guess I won't bother then. thx for letting me know.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007