• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: The Chronicles of Frustration... The Quest to End Splashing!!!

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

The Chronicles of Frustration... The Quest to End Splashing!!!

As many of you know I design and build filtration systems for a living and one of my claims to fame is the Zakki Shower, which has been unchanged in its design for many many years. The reason it has been unchanged is due to how well it has been performing. My goal when designing that shower was to build the shower base large enough to encourage maximum air exchange inside the filter, so there is roughly a 4" air gap between the media and the front and back of the shower. This gap not only allows for tons of air flow but it also provides a buffer to keep water from splashing out of the shower as it falls down onto the media.

Most of the time this air gap is plenty to keep the splashing at bay. However when the flow rates are increased then there is going to be more splashing, so some buildup of water on the top edge of the shower is inevitable. Not the end of the world but it will be addressed in the future.

I have been playing with a new small shower design and I needed to eliminate that large air gap to keep the costs down, but this in turn increased the buildup from splashing as seen in this picture...

Name:  Small Shower09.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  49.7 KB

Over time that buildup would drip down the face of the shower and start to pool at the bottom of the shower. Not really a big deal if this is outside but if you are setting this on a wooden frame indoors then you want to avoid this from happening.

I then had this brilliant idea of rounding over the top edges to make sure the water drop would fall into the shower instead of falling outside...

Name:  Small Shower11.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  77.2 KB

So it was time to water test and see what happened. After an hour there was still some small drops on the outside surface of the shower but I didn't see any really big drops that had built up on the outside of the shower. What was interesting to see is that these small water drops were flying outside of the shower and then getting sucked back towards the shower. Evidently, the falling water from the distribution manifold was creating an air current that was sucking those small drops back towards the shower. That is how they were ending up on the outside lip of the shower base.

Name:  Small Shower12.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  93.6 KB

I didn't let that initial water test to go on for long enough to verify this statement, but I feel as though these small drops would end up evaporating before they made it to the bottom of the shower base. That would eliminate any pooling and the quest should be over. However that is not how my mind works, and I wanted complete elimination of splashing on this small filter, so the journey continued.

I then tried out a modified diffuser at the bottom of the distribution manifold that had a splash shield built into it. This filter is being designed to keep the costs as low as possible so I needed to make this piece out of the same material as the diffuser. That means the tiny water bubbles could pass through those holes if the trajectory was spot on as the Brits say, but I was hoping for the best.

Name:  Small Shower13.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  173.8 KB

I started the water testing and my worst fears were confirmed as small splashes were coming through the holes. I had a thought that maybe given enough time the splashing would end up filling the holes with water and stop the water from passing through the water filled holes. I walked away for an hour and sure enough the holes were filled and nothing was getting through to the outside of the filter. I wiped away whatever residue was on the filter and checked again in an hour to make sure this solved the problem. I came back and the the filter was completely dry all the way around due to the splash shield.

Name:  Small Shower16.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  55.0 KB

But now we have unintended consequences due to the aesthetics of the filter. We went from this, which is the same kind of look as the Zakki Showers...

Name:  Small Shower08.jpg
Size:  79.7 KB

To this...

Name:  Small Shower14.jpg
Size:  71.3 KB

I don't think the second picture looks BAD by any means, but watching the falling water onto the media is trance inducing. I can't decide which way I want to offer the filter as normal which way to add as an option. The costs between the two are only $15 so that won't be the determining factor. I am seeking your opinions on this matter so please don't be shy.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

pickerel is online now Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Can you make the splash shield so that it either slides or swings out of the way? The owner could then lower it to show a visitor how it works and then put it right back up.

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is Busy and

Feeling:
      Tired

How about making the splash shield out of clear acrylic, do they make clear perforated sheets ?

berkokid is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think the splash shield should be optional. For many people it won't be necessary and I agree with you that the "visibility" to the innards is both entrancing and somewhat reassuring that things are flowing normal.
      - Jonathan
      - aka "Berko"

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pickerel View Post
      Can you make the splash shield so that it either slides or swings out of the way? The owner could then lower it to show a visitor how it works and then put it right back up.
      You know I could do anything but, this would increase the processing and assembly time which would increase the cost. With the current design I have figured out a way to complete the entire filter with on 2 1/2 labor hours associated with it. Minutes count when trying to keep the costs down.
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      How about making the splash shield out of clear acrylic, do they make clear perforated sheets ?

If I ever get my CNC up and running I can make that in house, but as of now I would have to check with my manufacturer. I am sure it is available but I won't be able to get some until my next large order, otherwise the costs would be CRAZY for a single sheet. Good idea though!!!
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by berkokid View Post
      I think the splash shield should be optional. For many people it won't be necessary and I agree with you that the "visibility" to the innards is both entrancing and somewhat reassuring that things are flowing normal.

I just loaded it to my website and I did make the splash shield an option. They can choose to have it or not, and I even gave them the option buy both options for an outrageous cost of $15 extra LOL
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Well I left the filter running over the weekend at around 1000 GPH or so and the splashing is much worse at that flow rate. I did not have the splash shield installed over the weekend and this is what i came back to...
      Name:  20190205_085432.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  52.2 KB

When you turn it up to 2500 GPH the splashing actually goes down as the streams of water that are falling from the distribution manifold are thicker and stick together better. Outside no one would really care about the splashing but indoors I think everyone will want the splash shield installed.
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com