• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Sand and gravel filter questions

Subersibo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sand and gravel filter questions

I just read up to page 45 of the monster thread “Birdman’s sand and gravel filter”. Whew!!!
      I recently finished building my 2 s&g’s but I have a couple of questions that I cannot find the answers to:
      1) Do I use flex pipe or regular PVC from the filter’s output to flow into the pond’s falls? Since each s&g flows at 2000 gph max will just one have enough flow for a powerful waterfall? (The barrel is going to be located about 10-15 ft from where the falls will be.) Waterfall will be about 3-4 feet high.
      2) I’m planning to use the second s&g to flow into 2 tpr’s. Is this possible?

Pond will be 12x10 and 3 ft at the deepest.
      Last edited by Subersibo; 01-12-2019 at 09:29 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Is it correct that you will plumb the filters outlet gravity flow to the pond waterfall and 2 tpr's?

It should not make any difference if you use flex pipe of regular PVC. I prefer NOT to use flex pipe, without a smooth interior, for gravity flow plumbing.

BWG is online now Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Flex PVC (glue type) does have more internal resistance but sometimes you can compensate by making wide sweeping bends (if needed). For your distance of pipe if the SG outlet is at least 6 inches higher than the top of the falls there should be sufficient drop to gravity flow 2,000 gph.

For falls figure 1,000 gph flow for each foot of width (light trickle) and 2,000 gph per foot fall width for higher effect.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Rickshaw: Yes, that is what I’m planning (1 barrel output to falls, the other barrel to tpr’s).
      Ok I won’t use flex.

BWG: thanks for that info. Perhaps using both barrel’s output for the falls would be best so I could have a wider, stronger waterfall (maybe 30” width). I don’t want water to just trickle down.
      But then what can I use to feed the tpr’s? Pump to tpr’s?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

would it he better for each barrel to flow to a tpr and then pump output to waterfall?

BWG is online now Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

We have two pumps on our waterfall. One runs continuously in the warm months to keep the falls and stream bio active and the other is for show. When we sit on the patio the second is kicked on to increase flow and the effect. This keeps the electric costs down. We use one of the remote control devices large enough for motors to make switching easy and fast.
      Last edited by BWG; 01-14-2019 at 07:39 AM.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I'm not a big fan of just pumping water for flow and not running through a filter.
      I think you'd be better off if you are limited to the two filters now is to flow all your water to them
      and then plumb as many options as you can so to redirect flow is just a matter of turning some valves.
      You could even install both tpr's and then if you only have enough flow to power the falls and
      one tpr you could just turn the 2nd one off until you either can build another s/g filter or have
      additional filtration before them that could be rerouted to the other tpr.
      The one thing I've seen fail is trying to plumb more than one tpr to one filter outlet, so if you do
      plan on running both tpr's from a single s/g filter, I'd make two separate outlets, one feeding each
      tpr.

--Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007