• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it common for people to keep other fishes with koi?

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen365 View Post
      really? i have seen a lot of undesirable koi swimming in my local pond, they have shad, bluegill, bass, and other fishes..

im experimenting then... as it were....
      From fry to a certain point in size, Koi will eat smaller fish, more so on accident when everyone is going for the same food.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Nguyen, In my big outdoor mud pond there are bluegill, bass, sunnies and goldfish along with Koi. My Indoor Pond started out with Koi, regular Goldfish and a few Shubunkins, but as the Koi grew larger and larger and I needed the space I had to put the Goldfish, Shubunkins and even some of the Koi out in the mud pond.

When my Indoor Koi spawned they didn't bother the fry that already hatched except for one who got in the way when the Koi was going after pellets of food.

No problems while they were in here together. The goldfish swam right along with the Koi like best friends, ate the same food, etc.

Best wishes to you and your new little friends! They looked so cute! Just watch for any signs of parasites so you can treat the pond quickly.
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

Paultergeist is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

OMG.....What's next? Dogs and cats living together?

I must say......I had not heard of "shads" before this thread.

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No issues so far here with my shade spotted catfish and 2 fancy goldfish.I think some of the issues some high end koi keepers have are potential diseases. Our koi are breed for color and growth sometimes they aren’t as hardy and resistant to health issues as normal carp. ?

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Nguyen, Just keep watching for any signs of parasites. It's not so much a health resistant issue, but when you poured the water from the pet store bag into your pond, that concerned a lot of folks IMHO. Normally pet stores are not very careful about things like quarantine, parasites and bacterial infections, etc. or even good cleaning procedures. Who knows what bacteria and parasites they have in their tanks, and it's now in your pond, right along with your Koi. So even those cute tiny little fish could give your beautiful Koi a nasty infection, you know what I mean? Maybe you'll be lucky and everything will be fine. I hope so. But keep checking, watch for any redness or sores, any signs of stress, any flashing (indications of parasites). It might be days or weeks before anything shows up. Be ready to treat it if it does, that all.
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
      Hi Nguyen, Just keep watching for any signs of parasites. It's not so much a health resistant issue, but when you poured the water from the pet store bag into your pond, that concerned a lot of folks IMHO. Normally pet stores are not very careful about things like quarantine, parasites and bacterial infections, etc. or even good cleaning procedures. Who knows what bacteria and parasites they have in their tanks, and it's now in your pond, right along with your Koi. So even those cute tiny little fish could give your beautiful Koi a nasty infection, you know what I mean? Maybe you'll be lucky and everything will be fine. I hope so. But keep checking, watch for any redness or sores, any signs of stress, any flashing (indications of parasites). It might be days or weeks before anything shows up. Be ready to treat it if it does, that all.
      Thank you. I tried to say the same thing but seems maybe i come off to negative. I was just pointing the obvious out and trying to help. Sometimes we like to learn the hard way

two_wheeled is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      Used to have a wide mouthed bass and hybrid bluegill. Now just golden orfe.
      Oh! I've always wondered if bass/gluegill/tilapia and other fish would get along with koi or cause issues.
      What was your experience with your bass and bluegill? Was that on an outdoor pond, or an indoor aquarium?
      -Steve in Phx.
      Novice Extraordinaire

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

I had a hybrid bluegill so they wouldn’t reproduce… But they did LOL.

They cohabited nicely with one another. The bass got old and died and I eventually removed the hybrids to a stream when I decided to change to orfe. The hybrids got HUGE!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

pondfishguy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have a neighbor who has a pond full of bass, catfish, bluegill and two 10" gold fish ( about 300 fish in 10,000 gallons). The bass eat anything they can fit in their mouths. He added 20 golden orf about 8-10" and they slowly disappeared over time. Added 10 koi (12-20") and they are all doing fine. Added some 6-8" koi and they all disappeared. It's kind of fun to watch them. The cats are on the bottom, bluegill and bass in the middle and the koi swim near the surface. Like a 3 story apartment.

two_wheeled is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

[QUOTE=ademink;2703289]I had a hybrid bluegill so they wouldn’t reproduce… But they did
      [/QUOTE

LOL! That made me laugh.
      Thanks

Name:  MXx2.gif
Views: 468
Size:  1.31 MB
      -Steve in Phx.
      Novice Extraordinaire

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen365 View Post
      Did you ever experience any issues having other fishes being pond mates with koi?
      I did not have any problems in having a few goldfish and an albino channel catfish with koi. Note that the goldfish were with koi in one pond, and the catfish was with koi in another, connected by a stream. (The goldfish and the catfish were not together.) I had kept the catfish in an aquarium until it got to about 9", and then moved it to the pond where it grew to 25" (bigger than any of my koi) in a couple of years, eating koi food. Since my koi were growing and my ponds were too small, I needed to thin the herd. So I gave the catfish to a friend with a farm pond with channel catfish.

maccrory is offline Member
      is Happy Koi Owner

Feeling:
      Cool

nothing but koi. i had some large goldfish many years ago but removed them. my koi had been breeding until they beat the crap out of the female until she literally jumped out of the pond to escape the other 20 males. so now i have 20 koi - 1/2 were bred in my pond.

i agree with others - at this point i wouldn't add other fish because of the possibility of parasites or any other issues. my koi range from 5 years old to 15 years old. i certainly don't want to risk their health or the balance of the community.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12