• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Tiled bottom

WLcreations is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Tiled bottom

I have an existing cement pond with a tiled bottom, I liked it because the tiles are light colored which helps me see dirt and leaves very easily. It also helps me see the fish much better too. I'm planning on building a bigger pond and would like to keep the bottom tiled also but I'm told by some experienced pond builders that the bottom will be covered with a layer of dark algea so tiles isn't a good idea but this hasn't been an issue in my old pond. While there was algea, there wasn't so much that it covered the tiles entirely, they were mostly around the tile boarders which I scrape once a year. Does anyone else have a tiled bottom? What do you think in terms of pros and cons, and are there any other bottom substrate alternative that helps with seeing dirt and the fish better?
      Last edited by WLcreations; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:25 AM.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

If you don't mind the scraping and cleaning work - go for it. Downsides are you are loosing some of the health benefits the covering is providing for the fish and a slight build up on light colored tiles shows easily.
      Last edited by BWG; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:05 AM.

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by WLcreations View Post
      I have an existing cement pond with a tiled bottom, I liked it because the tiles are light colored which helps me see dirt and leaves very easily. It also helps me see the fish much better too. I'm planning on building a bigger pond and would like to keep the bottom tiled also but I'm told by some experienced pond builders that the bottom will be covered with a layer of dark algea so tiles isn't a good idea but this hasn't been an issue in my old pond. While there was algea, there wasn't so much that it covered the tiles entirely, they were mostly around the tile boarders which I scrape once a year. Does anyone else have a tiled bottom? What do you think in terms of pros and cons, and are there any other bottom substrate alternative that helps with seeing dirt and the fish better?
      Hi WLcreations, I'm sure you've heard it before, but to Koiphen!
      I don't have a tile bottom, just plain black liner. I can imagine it is easier to see the Koi against a light background (especially my black one). But as BWG said, I think it would also be easier to see all the dirt. If it's all sealed then you may not have nasty bacteria issues the way one would with a pebble bottom, so it would just be "visible dirt and algae" or not-so-visible. Other than those who have "mud ponds" rather than liner ponds, etc. AFAIK there are no alternative substrates.

If you like it and decide to keep it, I would suggest getting a really good pond vacuum (preferably one that has a discharge hose so you don't have to keep stopping to dump it out every 5 minutes).

Do you have any pictures to share?
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Any light collared pond or tank I have ever done became very unsightly with algae growth and was a cleaning nightmare. I would Stick to black.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
      Hi WLcreations, I'm sure you've heard it before, but to Koiphen!

Do you have any pictures to share?
      Thank you for the warm welcome!

Yeah, most people I spoke with all say that it's nearly impossible to keep tiles but it has worked for my old pond. Here is a picture (sorry for the low res), it roughly shows the contrast between the side stones and bottom tiles. There is some algea but it's not to the point that it alters the color of the tiles so much that it outweights the benefits so I'd really like to keep it but given all the advice I've gotten to not use them, I'm wonder if it could be because larger ponds might have thicker algea build up?

Name:  pond tiles.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  45.4 KB

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

It seems like a lot of work for no benefit beyond aesthetics. Paint or concrete dye is easier and works for me.
      I see you also went through the trouble of putting stones on the side walls too.
      It’d just be personal preference.

On my pond I don’t get too much carpet algae but when I do it’s mainly on the walls and not the floor.
      If you like it - do it.
      Work v reward just not worth it imho
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rainblood View Post
      It seems like a lot of work for no benefit beyond aesthetics. Paint or concrete dye is easier and works for me.
      Thanks for the recommendation! The reason I preferred tiles even though there is more upfront work is because their smooth surface are easier for me to clean/scrape and there is less algrea growth compared to a rougher surface.