• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Newbie needs some advice, PLEASE!

ChickiePoo is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Newbie needs some advice, PLEASE!

Hello everyone and I thank you all in advance for excusing my ignorance to some of these issues. We moved into a rental home with a large 13,000 Gallon Koi Pond in the backyard...we have approximately 13 big beautiful Koi and since we have been here (about 2 years) they have produced around 10 baby koi. When we moved in the pond was gross...no filter at all and a sump pump that was powerful but very old (no idea the HP) and it moved the water which ran from the submerged pump to an upper "trough" sort of thing with a PVC pipe and water spilled over like a small waterfall. After having the pond professionally cleaned (fish removed, power washed the liner, removed all debris etc) we watched endless youtube videos and made our own bio filter with 55 gallon drums which have lava rock and different media in them. The pump gave out finally and we went and purchased another one which was 1HP and sump pump but not necessarily for pond use...more like for a basement or something. I should also mention that the pump runs 24/7. That pump lasted not even a year and just gave out again. Not sure why. My question to you all is what is the most economical, appropriate pump for us to buy and how many HP or how many GPH should we be moving for a 15K Gallon pond? ANY advice or help is super appreciated! Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

OCkoiFan is online now Supporting Member
      is aka Mitchiesan per KoiRun

Feeling:
      Cool

Those utility sump pump is not design for continuous duty and energy hog.
      You should look for an energy efficiency pump which 1/2hp should do the job
      They do cost more but in long run you will save a lot
      Horsepower isnít necessary
      Look for pump that that rate gph
      You cannot get a pump for 15k gallon per hour without having larger pvc pipe like 3Ē or more
      So I recommend maybe 2 smaller pumps (Iím thinking Periha )
      Last edited by OCkoiFan; 01-05-2019 at 10:54 AM.
      M.Nguyen

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by ChickiePoo View Post
      Hello everyone and I thank you all in advance for excusing my ignorance to some of these issues. We moved into a rental home with a large 13,000 Gallon Koi Pond in the backyard...we have approximately 13 big beautiful Koi and since we have been here (about 2 years) they have produced around 10 baby koi. When we moved in the pond was gross...no filter at all and a sump pump that was powerful but very old (no idea the HP) and it moved the water which ran from the submerged pump to an upper "trough" sort of thing with a PVC pipe and water spilled over like a small waterfall. After having the pond professionally cleaned (fish removed, power washed the liner, removed all debris etc) we watched endless youtube videos and made our own bio filter with 55 gallon drums which have lava rock and different media in them. The pump gave out finally and we went and purchased another one which was 1HP and sump pump but not necessarily for pond use...more like for a basement or something. I should also mention that the pump runs 24/7. That pump lasted not even a year and just gave out again. Not sure why. My question to you all is what is the most economical, appropriate pump for us to buy and how many HP or how many GPH should we be moving for a 15K Gallon pond? ANY advice or help is super appreciated! Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!
      Welcome and thanks for joining Koiphen!
      Like OC said, larger ponds should have a turnover rate of about 1x per hour. That's a lot of water to put over
      what sounds like a pretty small waterfall so you might get two smaller pumps and the equal out to that amount
      and build another filter and find another way to return more water.
      Do you have any pictures? That can really help others to suggest ideas...
      Enjoy the forum!
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by ChickiePoo View Post
      First thing we need to know is if YOUR Pond is an Aquascape design pond.

Nguyen365 is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can we see pics of the pond set up. Video is better
      Last edited by Nguyen365; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:06 AM.

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have some good options for pumps if you want to pm or call me.