• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: KHV Hits Again...(Dec. '18)

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

others in the same pond may remain latent and never show signs of the disease.

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      Or not get it at all.
      It is my understanding that the carrier Koi can remain latent and never show signs of KHV... but infect other Koi.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post

It is my understanding that the carrier Koi can remain latent and never show signs of KHV... but infect other Koi.
      Yep! Or not have it at all.

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC President
      is Looking forward to a better
      year

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post

But something could change causing that carrier to now show visible signs of the disease

year

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      Not to get to far off topic. I plan on getting more koi in few months and will qt them. Seems I'm better off getting 4 koi instead of 2 since I would have better chances that 1 of the koi would have a lower immune system or stress out more and make the virus shed. Am just asking because I'm sketchy to get new koi but don't want to go dormant and not add to my collection.correct me if I'm wrong
      You make it sound like You want to get KHV ?
      Increasing Your odds by strength in numbers is not the idea Here. I think Your missing the entire point , providing a scapegoat fish to get KHV so that the others will remain healthy won’t work . And dormant or latent can still infect the other fish

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The main point is, if the virus ever get into your system, the only SOLUTION is to start over. All the theories and non-scientific assumptions are useless. A fish can die within a week or live for another 10 years after getting infected. For the unfortunate hobbyists, the tough decisions are between 1) Keep the surviving herd but never give fish away or buy fish ever. 2) Euthanize, senitize, and start over.

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      You make it sound like You want to get KHV ?
      Increasing Your odds by strength in numbers is not the idea Here. I think Your missing the entire point , providing a scapegoat fish to get KHV so that the others will remain healthy won’t work . And dormant or latent can still infect the other fish
      Of course i don't want to get khv. I was just asking if it were better to get 4 to put in qt vs 2. They will be from the same dealer and come out of the same qt tank. I will not introduce these to the main pond for awhile. I do have a couple muji I could use as canaries as well

montwila is offline Supporting Member
      is Busy

Feeling:
      Tired

I might also mention that Dr Ling has study fish within Her lab , that have tested positive for the virus , yet remained latent showing no visible signs of the disease, for as long as 8 years .
      Some of her fish have been carriers for around 12 years and sometimes they can infect other fish and sometimes they will not shed the disease to other fish. The staff cannot reliably get the fish to shed the virus. But they can confirm that they still are latent carriers and thus could spread the disease.
      Last edited by montwila; 01-17-2019 at 07:11 PM.

jcardona1 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Latest email update from Sac Koi

Dear Sacramento Koi Customer,

On December 21, 2018 we received confirmation from the University of California, Davis Veterinary Clinic that our fish stock had in fact become infected with KHV from our most recent shipment of koi we purchased this year in Japan. We took immediate precautionary measures to hopefully limit the spread of this fatal disease by contacting all customers who purchased koi after November 15th to explain the situation.

Since then, several local customers have had their ponds tested for exposure to the virus. Those test results were negative, indicating that not all koi that passed through our facility were infected. On Tuesday January 22nd, UC Davis will be conducting additional tests on some our customer’s koi in order to get a better picture of just how widespread this contamination might be. We will share the results of these tests and any updates on the situation as details become available.

I want to again express how sorry we are for any anxiety this has caused you. Some of our customers have already lost koi due to this infection. Others may likely lose koi in the spring as their water warms up and the virus becomes active. We fully sympathize with anyone who has lost fish due to these events. Due to Sacramento Koi’s responsibility as a koi dealer and the fact that our facility tested positive for the virus, we have taken the sobering and unfortunate step of destroying all the koi at our facility.

This has been by far the worst situation Sacramento Koi has experienced in our 20 years of business. Meanwhile, we are working on a way to fairly resolve this situation. Please continue to bear with us as we do all we can to deal with this situation.

Respectfully,

Steve Walker
      President
      Sacramento Koi

PS: At this point, there is no indication that any of the small $60.00 koi were exposed to the virus. They were all kept in a separate area throughout the whole quarantine process. If you only purchased small koi you are likely not at risk of contracting the virus.

ccna101 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
      Latest email update from Sac Koi

So sad for the hobby, dealers and all parties involved...

We just have to follow strict QT and hope for the best.

-d-

MikeM is offline Super Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Doc Johnson’s claim that heat will cure a fish infected with KHV is totally inaccurate. Unfortunately,at this time , there is still not a cure for KHV. Doc Johnson’s claim has been proven wrong by ongoing KHV studies at UC Davis , Oregon State University , and the University of Georgia. It’s funny that He claims that studies at the University of Georgia corroborate His claim of a cure , when research had already proven His theory wrong way before He made that video in 2017. I know that this YouTube video has done irreparable damage to Our hobby , and flushed years of research down the drain. I personally witnessed a lecture by a well known Koi Dealer , who quoted Doc Johnson’s video, heat treated infected fish , and then sold them to customers.
      Let’s help spread accurate information anyway that We can.
      Here is a more accurate YouTube video .
      https://youtu.be/dAVvWuVepqo

The longest ongoing KHV research study ,is the AKCA sponsored Project KHV at Oregon State University , which is headed by Dr Ling Jin.
      Koiphen , and Project KHV have a long history together
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...621#post396621
      .Some fairly current info .
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...06#post2694306
      So , to answer Your questions
      Heat will not kill the KHV virus , or cure a KHV infected fish.
      Heat will not allways expose the latent virus in an infected fish.
      Heat , as well as other things that cause stress to a fish ,will not allways expose the latent virus.
      It’s possible for a latent infected fish to never show any physical signs of the disease.
      It’s possible for a latent infected fish to survive a long life , and not die from KHV.
      It’s possible for that latent survivor , to infect other fish it is exposed to, and those fish could now become latent carriers , or die from KHV, while the original latent survivor might never die from KHV.
      Watching and waiting is not good enough, only the laboratory test’s and procedures mentioned in the posted articles can give more accurate results.

Doc Johnson's video and posting on curing KHV is wholly false and ignorant. It has done a tremendous disservice to the hobby and has likely resulted in both the deaths of innumerable koi and the spread of the disease. It completely undermines his reputation for competence. All such statements should have been removed and deleted wherever re-posted years ago. I get angry about it, so I'll not say anything more.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

year

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
      Doc Johnson's video and posting on curing KHV is wholly false and ignorant. It has done a tremendous disservice to the hobby and has likely resulted in both the deaths of innumerable koi and the spread of the disease. It completely undermines his reputation for competence. All such statements should have been removed and deleted wherever re-posted years ago. I get angry about it, so I'll not say anything more.
      I’ve left comments on His Youtube videos , and they were deleted

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
      Years ago, Doc Johnson was a reliable source for a great deal about koi and ponds. I was unaware of his terrible mistake re: KHV and the fact that (even worse!) he perpetuated it until catfish whiskers called my attention to it. I had previously posted the link for discussion about "heating KHV" and quickly took it down with a note.

I used to have Doc Johnson's manual until I loaned it out and never got it back. Does anyone know if the that KHV info is in his book too?
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

In some of the KHV information coming from Japan it was noted that a single Koi, that was shipped, from Koda has tested positive while others tested negative. Koda Koi farm went through a rigorous process where their entire farm was heated to 75 degrees for 40 days and the Koi were tested. The Koi were not put through a system where the temperature was raised and lowered, they were kept at 75. I find this very interesting, and reassuring, as the USDA/APHIS Vets we are working with said to keep our Koi at 75 degrees for 30 days and test. Our first shipment was held at 75 for 90 days and then tested and our most recent shipment was held at 75 degrees for 50 days before being tested. We are awaiting the results. Here is the report from Koda. I was very happy to see this process being done. I think more breeders should do this and all dealers should definitely do it.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So is the point of 75 degree water to increase the viro activily in newly infected fish so the PCR test will catch the infection?

Slapshot is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      So is the point of 75 degree water to increase the viro activily in newly infected fish so the PCR test will catch the infection?
      The virus is only active in a range of temperatures otherwise its dormant. I believe 67 to 78

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

[QUOTE=Slapshot;2702325]The virus is only active in a range of temperatures otherwise its dormant. I believe 67 to 78

KHV disease (KHVD) outbreaks typically occur in spring and autumn when water temperatures are between 60° and 77°F (16° and 25 °C) with an incubation period of 7–21 days depending upon water temperature (Haenen et al. 2004). KHVD at temperatures as low as 60°F (15.5–16°C) has been reported in common carp outbreaks in Japan, and experimental trials have shown that the virus can induce mortality up to about 82°F (28°C). Warmer water temperatures more rapidly induce clinical disease as compared to fish held at lower temperatures. At lower water temperatures (e.g., 55°F [13°C]), the virus can infect fish without inducing clinical signs of disease, but when permissive water temperatures are again experienced, the fish show typical KHV signs and may die (Gilad et al. 2003; St. Hilaire et al. 2005).

jcardona1 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Update on the Sacramento Koi KHV situation.

~ Jose

No Buddy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Now that is a first class operation!

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by No Buddy View Post
      Is there such a thing when it comes to KHV?

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by No Buddy View Post
      Steve is a very nice man. And tries to be far to all that I am aware of. When he brings back koi and sells them. It is by way of a drawing to see who picks first. Ive known Steve for many years when he started to sell koi in his back yard.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast