• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread: KHV Hits Again...(Dec. '18)

No Buddy is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I was not being sarcastic. I mean this. They have handled this outbreak as well as it can be handled. my hat off to them. It is a shame that MOST dealers do not handle it the same way. Yes, I said MOST.

TylerDurden is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So these agencies or brokers if you will that many companies or dealers use to purchase Japanese koi usually deal with setting up the shipping if my information is correct. With that being said do they ever mix different breeders koi in an attempt to lower shipping costs. Ill explain...

From the very little knowledge I have of the koi purchasing process in Japan through one of these agents you select a koi or kois. They haggle a price and if purchased you leave your purchase at the breeders to await shipping. Then the brokering company or agent separates fish by size/ weight to fit in a box. Boxes have a base cost with a maximum weight. So you could fit one koi or 60 koi in one box at the same shipping cost dependent on weight. Would one of these agents or companies mix koi from different breeders to maximize weight per box in order to keep the shipping cost lower and be as efficient as possible, or are all breeders koi kept separate to prevent spreading of disease and easy classification?

Just wondering because if they aren't segregated by breeder that has potential to cause some havoc.

My information could be wrong on the entire process. If so I apologize and if you could please explain the actual process.

Marilyn is online now Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Your information is partly correct but breeders do not mix their koi. Shipping agents (also breeders in a number of cases) arrange pick up of boxes of koi and do the paperwork and logistics.
      For example, if a dealer has koi coming in from 8 different breeders, the shipping agent will contact the breeders and say we will be shipping to dealer X on this day and the following koi will be included in this shipment. Some koi stay for Azukari, some get shipped. Just because there is space available in a box doesn't mean fish will be mixed.

For that reason, when dealers get a request of a certain type of koi from a specific breeder, it may not be cost effective for a dealer to do this, especially if someone is looking for a tosai or nisai. If that is the only koi purchased from that breeder, the shipping cost will be very high since the only koi will be that single fish in the box.

Btw, some dealers request that breeders crowd as many koi as possible into a single box to minimize cost. I know that PSKoi often specifies fewer koi as there are fewer injuries and less resulting damage if they aren't crowded. It's especially important with larger tosai and nisai. They arrive more robust if they aren't as crowded for the long trip.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

TylerDurden is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the great info Marilyn! I was hoping you or Russ would chime in due to your experience/s. Im glad to hear different breeders aren't mixed, that would make tackling down a KHV outbreak even more difficult.

Japan trips have to be amazing... maybe one day..

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910