• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: KHV Hits Again...(Dec. '18)

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Seven weeks at 75 degrees and the gill snips were taken today for our KHV testing.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

montwila is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      So either you didn't tell the vendor meaning you let EVERY OTHER HOBBYIST SUFFER. Or you told the vendor and HE DID NOTHING to inform his other customers. I'm sorry sir but I will walk the other way if I ever see you at a koi event.
      This is a very good example of why people choose not to "come out". Without even checking with myself as to a timeline you simply start making statements and inferring nothing was done. This shows myself why I might not even be able to have a civil conversation about this topic with you. I am well known at most of the events that I attend. If that is how you feel then please do walk the other way.

For the rest of us I have a letter posted on K.O.I.'s web sight and different versions of this letter have been published in koi club news letters of the events that took place at my location. What is not in that letter is all the conversations that took place during that time. I will sum those conversations up by stating that the vendor knew there was a problem occurring at their facility about the same time I did and had stopped selling. Within the local community (I am a member of three koi clubs in the Pacific Northwest) there was talk of a KHV outbreak and the "shunning or distancing" that is mentioned in this thread had already begun within the koi community both locally and nationally. I am very comfortable with how I responded, notified and followed up with my peers and membership.

As usual: I can be PM'd by anyone for further discussion.

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by montwila View Post
      I will sum those conversations up by stating that the vendor knew there was a problem occurring at their facility about the same time I did and had stopped selling.
      See, now, you didn't say that before. Earlier, you said you chose to protect the innocent. I interpreted that to mean that you didn't contact the dealer and therefore he did not contact other customers to let them know of the issue. If you contacted him and he contacted his customers then I have absolutely no issue with how you chose to handle it. I didn't mean to infer it is your job as the customer to go public.

cindy is offline Supporting Member
      is :)

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Quote Originally Posted by montwila View Post
      This is a very good example of why people choose not to "come out". Without even checking with myself as to a timeline you simply start making statements and inferring nothing was done. This shows myself why I might not even be able to have a civil conversation about this topic with you. I am well known at most of the events that I attend. If that is how you feel then please do walk the other way.

For the rest of us I have a letter posted on K.O.I.'s web sight and different versions of this letter have been published in koi club news letters of the events that took place at my location. What is not in that letter is all the conversations that took place during that time. I will sum those conversations up by stating that the vendor knew there was a problem occurring at their facility about the same time I did and had stopped selling. Within the local community (I am a member of three koi clubs in the Pacific Northwest) there was talk of a KHV outbreak and the "shunning or distancing" that is mentioned in this thread had already begun within the koi community both locally and nationally. I am very comfortable with how I responded, notified and followed up with my peers and membership.

As usual: I can be PM'd by anyone for further discussion.
      You have a pm.
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

kntry is offline 2017 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

After being a Mod/Admin on almost every koi board for the last 16+ years, I don't post much due to all the drama and threats last year over the KHV outbreaks. I have no interest any longer.

I've been showing for about 20 years and last year was my final year because of the risk. I rarely post since last year because of the intimidation, bullying and nastiness. I'm also not planning on buying any koi for a long time. I spent almost $5000 on koi the year before the outbreak. Dealer's loss.

I was pretty involved with showing my koi and working every show I went to. Show's loss. I was very involved helping people with their sick fish, building or renovating ponds and filtration. I don't have all the answers but I helped hundreds of people save their fish, build their ponds and filtration. Just to get bashed for what I was doing. Hobbyiest's loss.

So who's the winner with all the intimdation that went on last year?
      Sandy
      CKK, KHA

cindy is offline Supporting Member
      is :)

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Koiphen lost me also. I helped start it with Stephen. I Gave up ER, mod status, Vice President, online show and more. I stayed as a member but gave up everything else. People didn't talk because they were threatened, bullied, called names and more.

I was hoping the online show would be picked up but that's ok, having a small one elsewhere.

A friend asked if I would help on getting the board back on track and I said no. My heart was here for 15 years but not now.
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

kevin32 is online now Supporting Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

At the last 2 shows I went to there were splash guards between the tanks and also individual nets for each tank. I'm just getting into showing and not to worried.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
      You have a pm.
      PM answered.

When I joined this site back in August of 09. There were many people such as Sandy and Cindy. However they almost always get attacked at some point.

I tip my hat to those such as Jim and Steve that are still here.

As I have said in my letter that can be found on the K.O.I. website in the blog section: I do not know where I will be in Koi in the future but certainly I will never be at the level I was this last year. I will still check E-mails and maybe occasionally post.

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koiphen has the most extensive collective knowledge in koi keeping. The sad part is that the most useful info are in old archives.
      Last edited by abuchi123; 01-10-2019 at 05:36 PM.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is doing OK

Feeling:
      Cool

I miss your posts Cindy. I joined because of your knowledge and kindness. Itsdefinitely not the board I joined 11 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
      Koiphen lost me also. I helped start it with Stephen. I Gave up ER, mod status, Vice President, online show and more. I stayed as a member but gave up everything else. People didn't talk because they were threatened, bullied, called names and more.

I was hoping the online show would be picked up but that's ok, having a small one elsewhere.

A friend asked if I would help on getting the board back on track and I said no. My heart was here for 15 years but not now.

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry but back to post 81, Russ does the water temperatures has to to remaind at 74 or 75 or can it remaind above 74, whether it's 78 or 80 for the duration of the incubation period.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      Sorry but back to post 81, Russ does the water temperatures has to to remaind at 74 or 75 or can it remaind above 74, whether it's 78 or 80 for the duration of the incubation period.
      The 5 veterinarians that came up with my QT protocol told me that 75 was the ideal temperature but I have read, in many different places, that 70 -78 degress were the active temperatures. I think 80 is too high but I am not sure.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Koigarden is online now Member
      is happy as a clam

Feeling:
      Friendly

I was going to unsubscribe from this thread because it has turned unkind.
      I'll wait 2 days since I have questions, after that please PM me. Thx.

I'd like to know the most current advise on QT for this so I can start doing it..

75F but for how long.? Ramping or just constant? Is salt ok with this, say .35%?

MY pond rarely even gets to 70. There were very few days in a row when it did.
      I wonder if that means that for cold climate ponds that don't sell or share ( closed system), it can go undetected and never have impact on the fish IN THAT POND?

I feel sorry for anyone touched by this disease.

Thanks again for your experienced advice.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Koigarden View Post
      I was going to unsubscribe from this thread because it has turned unkind.
      I'll wait 2 days since I have questions, after that please PM me. Thx.

I'd like to know the most current advise on QT for this so I can start doing it..

75F but for how long.? Ramping or just constant? Is salt ok with this, say .35%?

MY pond rarely even gets to 70. There were very few days in a row when it did.
      I wonder if that means that for cold climate ponds that don't sell or share ( closed system), it can go undetected and never have impact on the fish IN THAT POND?

I feel sorry for anyone touched by this disease.

Thanks again for your experienced advice.
      Here are a number of articles that are pretty current.
      The one by Spike Cover is written in plain English which is a nice change.

http://koiorganisationinternational....es/non-members
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

Koigarden is online now Member
      is happy as a clam

Feeling:
      Friendly

Thank you!
      I will read them all.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Could the forum members please remind me what to expect from a KHV infected fish.

My QT is set up with a heater and ready to accept fish.

I buy fish and introduce them to the tank.

I adjust the temperature up slowly to the recommended temperature to acclimatize the fish and induce the KHV if it is lurking in one of the new arrivals.

What symptoms will the infected fish show?

Sunken eyes, a notched nose, lying still on the bottom and eventually die in a short period of time.

I would really appreciate some feed back on the fish behavior.

Garfield.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      Could the forum members please remind me what to expect from a KHV infected fish.
      My QT is set up with a heater and ready to accept fish.
      I buy fish and introduce them to the tank.
      I adjust the temperature up slowly to the recommended temperature to acclimatize the fish and induce the KHV if it is lurking in one of the new arrivals.
      What symptoms will the infected fish show?

Sunken eyes, a notched nose, lying still on the bottom and eventually die in a short period of time.

I would really appreciate some feed back on the fish behavior.
      Garfield.
      It is my understand the KHV infected fish ether show sunken eyes, a notched nose, lying still on the bottom, and death in a short period of time or if a KHV carrier nothing.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
      It is my understand the KHV infected fish ether show sunken eyes, a notched nose, lying still on the bottom, and death in a short period of time or if a KHV carrier nothing.
      Clinical signs of KHV are often non-specific.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      Koiphen has the most extensive collective knowledge in koi keeping. The sad part is that the most useful info are in old archives.
      This was where I was going with my post #88. There was a huge "prosecution" of a vendor back in 2009. That vendor was put out of business within a couple of months and as far as I know it was never proven that they actually had KHV. With all the bickering at that time I stuck to old threads and gained a whole lot of knowledge. Most of those people that I came to respect from those threads were no longer posting in 2010. Through the last Decade this seems to be what happens. A new group of posters/class comes to KP each Spring and they know enough to attack other senior members driving them away. Or the senior members see this fighting between others and just fade away before it comes to them.

I think there are some good posts on this thread. I might be able to to help with some questions that have come up but it may take the weekend to do it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      Clinical signs of KHV are often non-specific.
      This is what I will try to address if I can get to it over the weekend.

Short answer is every fish is an individual and often the signs are reflective of how long the fish can survive the disease.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast