• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Goldfish with hole in abdomen

avocadro is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Goldfish with hole in abdomen

Today I noticed one of my pond fish swimming around with something attached to her abdomen. I placed her in a clear container to get a better look and unfortunately it looks really bad and I'm not entirely sure whats going on. The strange thing is she's eating and swimming almost entirely normal, maybe a little bit less active then the other fish.

The pics are still a bit shocking to look at for me, but here they are.

The other fish in the pond have just got their breeding tubercles, that's why I assume it's a she.
      The issue has potentially been going on for a few weeks now, as I first noticed her belly swelling a bit a few weeks ago.
      Also a few weeks ago I had a fish mysteriously float on his side with his mouth stuck open and pass away the next day, being almost unable/too tired to move.

So I'm still recovering from losing him and now this... Makes me wish I opted for big aquariums instead of a pond.

The only (pretty horrible) possibility I thought of is she ate something that ruptured her abdomen...

Some information about my pond:
      been running for close to 3 months
      water parameters: 0 ammonia and nitrite, 10-20 nitrate, 15C/59F, 7.8 pH
      5 commons all 4-5 inches
      1800 liter/500 gallon
      4 gallon bucket filter

I can't imagine this is a common issue with goldfish, but please let it be treatable for her sake.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I can't tell what that is coming from the abdomen. It looks too large a diameter to be anchor worm. Does it look to be something like feces coming out? The area doesn't appear to be inflamed (infected). Can you get a direct shot up from the bottom of the fish that will show the hole you mention?

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      is doing OK

Feeling:
      Crazy

My first thought was anchor worm also, but I can't really see the area very clearly. Also, does anchor worm ever appear brown? Another thought, could something have "impaled" it? Almost looks like a thorn or twig. A better picture, maybe with someone helping (either by taking the picture, or holding the fish upside down in a moist towel) would definitely help. If it is something comingout of it (and not the anal vent), it might be possible to pull it out gently with tweezers, then put some iodine (with a Q-tip) on it, and maybe some neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment. But that's for later, once it's identified what it is.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

avocadro is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wanting to help as soon as possible I tried taking a photo by myself, wasn't a very good idea so please excuse me if it's not a good angle/focus.
      https://i.imgur.com/DdxOwYN.jpg
      I haven't fed her yesterday and the feces have been dislodged since then. There was also this thin white string that could be feces as well but I'm not sure.
      Edit: I forgot to mention that while what looked like feces was gone, the white string looking thing remained. However upon scooping her up in a container it also dislodged very easily.
      Last edited by avocadro; 12-26-2018 at 12:31 PM.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The thin white string could have been an anchor worm. I still don't see any bacterial infection, but think it would be beneficial to pull the fish, dry the area, and rub on some triple antibiotic ointment, just to be sure that none develops. I would look for some Dimilin, anchor worm and fish lice treatment. You will probably have to look online for that.

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard