• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Is She Egg bound?

fjos609 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Is She Egg bound?

Hi everyone! I am hoping anyone can share some insights on goldfish developing eggs.

This goldfish has been with us for roughly 6 months already. However, in that span of time, I was not the one taking care of them since I study away from home. She lives in a 50gal tank with 2 smaller female goldfish. 6 months ago, the tank's water level was just an inch from the brim and it was only running on a sponge filter. They were fed twice daily. Now, much of the water evaporated already and only about 30 gals remained. This goldfish used to be waaaay smaller so Im really confused with her growth despite the horrible condition shes been living in.

I just got back from college and I want to make up to these goldies but I cannot do so without knowing what Im dealing with.

My questions revolve around how goldfish develop eggs. Can they produce eggs even when they're in a dirty environment? Can they develop eggs without the presence of a male gf? Is she egg bound? If she is, is there anything I can help her with?

Thank you so much in advance.
      Attached Images Attached Images     

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Your fish is a Ryukin. They normally have a big round belly. When you look at them from the side as in your hand, they should be almost round (form a circle) when looking at the belly and to the hump at dorsal fin. Yours has a nice hump, by the way. While she may have eggs, she is probably not egg bound. Over feeding can also make them too fat.

Yes, they can develop eggs in dirty water and without a male.

Male Ryukins can also have fat round bellys. I can't always tell the difference by looking at them.
      Nancy

My2butterflies is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don’t think she looks egg bound. But if you are worried about her having been over fed, just feed her a couple peas a day for a week. She is a nice looking Goldie

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

thank you all for your help!

mjfromga is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I adore her color. I agree with the others. Short tailed female Ryukins are some of the fattest fancy goldfish you'll see. Her vent looks normal and she seems fine. I have two myself and they look just like her. The males are usually SLIGHTLY slimmer.

Sometimes growth is genetics. Fish that don't have the genetics to get big won't get big even in large and well filtered environments and fish that have large genetics can grow even in poor conditions.

The way her nose is pointed upwards like that spells some of those more extreme imported type genetics, which could explain her size.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I hope to grow her more in the coming months :D With regards to her genetics, I don't know any as I only got her from our local pet store and they dont tell us anything about the fish they sell

Thank you for the nose-genetics-growth insights. Haven't heard of it before lol I just learned another thing.

mjfromga is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Usually the more "show quality" Ryukin fish have shapes so extreme that it kinda causes their noses to point upwards. These are usually from imported backgrounds and usually have the potential to get that really large "show standard" type size. She looks like one of those.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007