• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Wye for clean out in my filter pit

tom66 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wye for clean out in my filter pit

I am building a new pond and I am now at the stage where i need to start thinking about plumbing. I went to Lowe's and bought a couple of pieces to start the layout of filter pit #1 ,I was thinking of putting a Wye before anything else in each of the two 4" pipes coming from the BDs. The purpose was to be able to use a snake in case of a clog. I would run a line up straight vertical all the way to a few inches above WL to avoid having to put any valve. I came across a Wye 4" to 4" but the line coming out at 45* is 2". I am thinking that that should work. Would 2" be enough for a snake to run thru there if needs be? (or for any other unclogging device/trick). I was thinking of doing that because I am running out of space and that Wye is considerably smaller than the 4"to 4"to 4" one.
      What do you guys think?

ricshaw is offline Supporting Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

I think 2 inch is too small.

How about:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-PVC...-100342717-_-N ?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
      I think 2 inch is too small.

How about:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-PVC...-100342717-_-N ?
      Why? isn't 2" enough for a snake?

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What if you you used a 4 two way clean out vertically

Name:  74B001B1-5815-4879-8F4B-47FAB1625948.jpeg
Views: 108
Size:  20.2 KB

If you got a 4 pipe you want to be able to clean it not just knock it out

is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
      Why? isn't 2" enough for a snake?
      Koi pond bottom drains are different from home sewer drain lines. I have never heard of somebody using a snake to clear a clogged pond bottom drain... I have heard about people using a chimney flue cleaning brush to clear a blocked drains.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi pond bottom drains are different from home sewer drain lines. I have never heard of somebody using a snake to clear a clogged pond bottom drain... I have heard about people using a chimney flue cleaning brush to clear a blocked drains.
      really? can someone explain to me how clogs are really fixed? I am a relative newbie and I thought that a snake is what need to be used. is a chimney flue it for real what needs to be used? can anyone explain or confirm?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

shouldn't the Wye have an angle like 45* so that the snake goes for sure in the direction of the pond? if coming down perfectly perpendicular how would one know that the snake is going in the right direction? in my case the turn would happen 7' down from the opening ...Also I have a sweeping Wye that has 4"to 4" to 4" but it's 12" long, while the 4"to 4" to 2" is much shorter

mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
      really? can someone explain to me how clogs are really fixed? I am a relative newbie and I thought that a snake is what need to be used. is a chimney flue it for real what needs to be used? can anyone explain or confirm?
      Here is how I understand it:
      Nothing should ever get into your drain that will truly completely plug it. You should have a drain cover that leaves only a 1/2 to 3/4 inch opening that water has to come thru to travel down the pipe. This should keep any large items from getting in there and blocking it.
      What is more likely to happen is that debris slowly builds up in your pipe. This will happen if you do not have a flow rate high enough to keep the debris flowing. This debris will likely be sludge like. And fairly easy to remove if you can agitate it. Many of us get dryer vent cleaning brushes that we use. They have long flexible rods that thread together so that you can make them as long as needed to clean your line. You can use a drill to make them spin as you feed them into and back out of the line.
      The brush tip on these systems is designed to get around bends pretty well. And the bristles are rigid enough to clean soft sludge, but flexible enough to get through a tight spot.
      I think you could use a 4 by 4 by 2 T as an access point to clean your line. The bristle head should fit down a 2 inch line and then work around the bend and into the 4 inch line. But if I am wrong about this, and you ever really need access and it won't work using a 2 inch line.... well then you are screwed.
      If you have good water flow, well designed plumbing, and a good drain cover then you should never need to use an access point.
      I flow sometimes less than 2000 GPH in a 4 inch line. So I like to clean mine at least annually. Nothing ever seems to come out.
      A snake might be too aggressive for cleaning pond plumbing. Too much risk of damaging the interior of the pipe when all you should need is a brush. But surely someone will have a story of the time they really did need to snake a pond line.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

thank you Mpiskol, now I understand it better. Can one actually reach 30-40-50' into the line with those brushes? ... I see them on Amazon ... and they look like they are made to go in 4" pipes ... right? so it'd be a squeeze to go into a 2" for the first 7' ... maybe better in a 3"

is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by mplskoi View Post
      Here is how I understand it:
      Nothing should ever get into your drain that will truly completely plug it. You should have a drain cover that leaves only a 1/2 to 3/4 inch opening that water has to come thru to travel down the pipe. This should keep any large items from getting in there and blocking it.
      What is more likely to happen is that debris slowly builds up in your pipe. This will happen if you do not have a flow rate high enough to keep the debris flowing. This debris will likely be sludge like. And fairly easy to remove if you can agitate it. Many of us get dryer vent cleaning brushes that we use. They have long flexible rods that thread together so that you can make them as long as needed to clean your line. You can use a drill to make them spin as you feed them into and back out of the line.
      The brush tip on these systems is designed to get around bends pretty well. And the bristles are rigid enough to clean soft sludge, but flexible enough to get through a tight spot.
      I think you could use a 4 by 4 by 2 T as an access point to clean your line. The bristle head should fit down a 2 inch line and then work around the bend and into the 4 inch line. But if I am wrong about this, and you ever really need access and it won't work using a 2 inch line.... well then you are screwed.
      If you have good water flow, well designed plumbing, and a good drain cover then you should never need to use an access point.
      I flow sometimes less than 2000 GPH in a 4 inch line. So I like to clean mine at least annually. Nothing ever seems to come out.
      A snake might be too aggressive for cleaning pond plumbing. Too much risk of damaging the interior of the pipe when all you should need is a brush. But surely someone will have a story of the time they really did need to snake a pond line.
      Really? Pine needles, tree leaves, etc.? Over time drains can become clogged. Hopefully you will not need the clean out... the clean out is for the unexpected.

mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Really? Pine needles, tree leaves, etc.? Over time drains can become clogged. Hopefully you will not need the clean out... the clean out is for the unexpected.
      Yes. Really.
      I do believe that if you have an appropriate flow rate and nothing larger than say 3/4 of an inch can get in your BD line then it should never plug. It isn't like a home sewer line that gets a tree root growing into it and then you have company come to visit and they flush handy wipes and feminine hygiene products into it. In the case of home sewer line things bigger than 3/4 of an inch can get in, and a home sewer line doesn't continuously flow 2000 GPH.

That being said I do still believe that having a clean out is a good idea.

To OP:
      As you plan your plumbing and present it to us I think there will be a simple solution that won't take up that much extra space. It may depend on your elevations and what your first filter is. In my case I have an RDF and my two BD lines come up to it and right where they turn from vertical to horizontal, instead of having a 90 I have a T. And the T has a pipe coming up to above my pond waterline- just by a few inches. This is my access point to do a clean out. This takes up almost no room at all.