• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Electric Hydro Jetters - advice? Opinions?

Voyant is offline Supporting Member
      is puzzling

Feeling:
      Bemused

Electric Hydro Jetters - advice? Opinions?

For the last several years I've been getting clogs in my bottom drain that I can't clear. It's not usually branches/twigs - it's usually algae, sometimes with leaves or assorted other debris. I've got a high-pressure head on the hose that I use, and one of those lint cleaner things, and they sometimes work, but at least once a year it plugs so badly I have to call the plumber to come out and clean it using their high pressure jetter. It used to be $300 a visit for something that took about 10 minutes, but now it's $500. So the nice plumber suggested that maybe I should get my own electric hydro jetter and clean it out myself. It wouldn't be as powerful as theirs, but his thinking is that if I could do it regularly it wouldn't get so bad.

It's a 4" line from the aerated bottom drain. I suspect that the line is nearly straight, rather than having some downward slope, and that is part of the problem The line goes into a cetus. I realize getting rid of the algae would do a lot for this, and I am working on upgrading the filtration which should help, but in the meantime, I am looking for advice/suggestions about which of these devices, if any, I should get.

This is basically what the plumber recommended - it's about $2300. That's a bit more than I'd like to spend: https://www.ridgid.com/mx/en/kj1350-water-jetter

I found this one also: https://www.camspray.com/portable-el...ter-p-172.html

I really like the idea of this because it is so small but would it work? https://drainbrain.com/en/products/jm-1000-mini-jet/

Any thoughts or ideas anyone has would be welcome.

vpkoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just order a head and put it on a power washer . I have made a head from pvc parts and used it with a garden hose on house pressure . It works for leaves and stuff

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No reason to buy a stand alone unit for this. Rather go with a pressure washer that you can use for other things also. You would then just need to get a Clog Hog attachment for the drain cleaning.

https://www.cloghog.com/

vipertom1970 is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

here is cheap solution for you and look at the two YT videos. I still have to do this once every couple months for two skimmers and two BD about 35 feet away when my draw down is too low in my DRF and usually get about 3 pounds of bug larvae, algae etc....

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...highlight=lint
      Last edited by vipertom1970; 12-20-2018 at 09:09 PM.

ccna101 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
      here is cheap solution for you and look at the two YT videos. I still have to do this once every couple months for two skimmers and two BD about 35 feet away when my draw down is too low in my DRF and usually get about 3 pounds of bug larvae, algae etc....

Wonderful idea Tom / Jim .... I have no issue with my BDs but this is awesome and you did not trademark ?

-d-

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post

The OP is already using the lint brush and it isn't working for them
      I've got a high-pressure head on the hose that I use, and one of those lint cleaner things, and they sometimes work, but at least once a year it plugs so badly I have to call the plumber to come out and clean it using their high pressure jetter.

Grumpy is online now Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Happy

You have been fighting this a long time, so much frustration, and alot of money lost. Sorry! You have a very nice pond, can we talk about the problem as well as a short term solution?

I see from your posting 30 months ago the rocks & debris you got from the line than, and at the time it was assumed they came from the pond plants, etc. Is that still the type of material the plumber is extracting? Do you find rocks on the sieve screens during operation?
      Name:  Voyant has rocks blocking bottom drain line.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  264.6 KB

You stated at that time that you were almost maxed out on the pull thru the two Cetus sieves, and the photos show the floating weir nearly fully depressed. So more flow isn't the long term solution. I don't understand why the 4 inch pipe will repeatedly clog when it is passing near 4000 gph.

You are planning on upgrading your filtration (more $$$), I assume you are talking about the shower and such in the pump house, but perhaps the problem is inside the delivery pipe, and the filtration is adequate as is. Perhaps your pipe(s) have broken (came apart, etc) between the bottom drains and the cetus sieves allowing rocks and debris to enter. If the ground shifted, or a joint wasn't properly glued, there could be an opening in the lines that allows a few rock to enter and begin the clog.

At the time it seemed you had identified the location of the clog. I can't see if you ever answered the question at the time if it is possible to dig down to the 4 inch pipe where you had pin pointed the obstruction? For the $$$ you will spend on a jet setup, perhaps you can first hire a laborer to dig down to the pipe and either fix the broken section, or at least eliminate a broken pipe as a cause.

As an alternate, perhaps the plumber has a camera setup he can fish thru the pipe and provide valuable information.

Just my thoughts.

Voyant is offline Supporting Member
      is puzzling

Feeling:
      Bemused

Grumpy - I don't see many rocks in the line any more. I don't think there is a leak -- I have begun to think that there is no slope to the line, or maybe a bit of an upward slope. You'd think as fast as the thing is running it would stay clear, but I get a LOT of string algae and it does clump up. Vipertom, the lint brush does an okay job with smaller algae clogs, but if anything gets in the algae it doesn't seem to work - it doesn't grab anything with any weight to it. There is still some plant debris but I have few plants any more and probably fewer next year.

I do actually have one of those tiny cameras that you can "see" through the phone. Might be worth trying to see what I see with that.

The upgraded flitration is a RDF; I plan to eliminate the 2 cetus sieves and the S&G filters. It's all sitting in my garage waiting for me to figure out how it all fits in the space. In part my thinking is that with better filtration there will be less algae. I might be wrong about that.

The idea of an add-on to the pressure washer is interesting. My pressure washer is not very good, and I don't use it much. But maybe a slightly better model would be more functional. Worth a thought.

I think the saga of my pond is that I should have listened more to the people here who thought I was in trouble with my build/contractor. They were right, and I've been fighting it ever since. On the plus side, I've learned a LOT about plumbing and construction.

Thank you all.

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I know when I bought my lint screen thing , it came with a cutter head that screwed on the end .

You could grind it up then go back in with the brush