• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Goldfish trouble

FayeK is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Goldfish trouble

I'm sure Im not the first person doing water changes at 4 am plus checking water parameters but that's what I was doing last night. I have a 72 gallon tank, long established with 2 large fancy tails.
      I came home late to find the younger fish (1 year) on his side, the other fish were acting normally. I have a Rena canister filter, the tank has a thin layer of natural gravel (some bare bottom areas)and some river rocks that have been in tank for years. No plants accept for pathos with its ends sticking in water and main part of the plant outside tank. I usually do water changes once a week about 10-20% using treated tap water. I had a very bad algae problem both green and brown on all the rock, sides of tank etc., water was clear just an unsightly tank. Last week I took fish out into bucket with air. Cleaned tank including taking rocks out and scrubbing everything down using no chemicals.
      Fish seemed happy when returned to tank. Meanwhile a small koi jumped out of outdoor pond and was found in yard, revived him and decided to bring in and put in tank. Kept him in another tank until temperature stabilized and put him in aquarium a few days ago. He had a small red spot on face so I started to salt tank using untreated water softener salt. Dissolved in water over night and put in 1/4 cup, all seemed fine so added a second 1/4 next day. Salt meter read .008 Water test kits are new.
      Tested water Ph 7.4- 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrate 10-20, nitrite 0, did a 20% water change with vacuum so cleaned gravel debris, added SAFE . Added tablespoon of baking soda concerned about ph crash. Goldfish up and acting better swimming upright tho not quite right. Cause I couldn't see what else was causing the problem though maybe ph issue.
      Tested tap water Nitrate 10, PH 7.8-8,
      Wed am fish in more distress and small koi on his side. Belly of the fancy goldfish has reddish dime sized spot. Did another 20% water change cleaning gravel etc then tested water PH 7.8, Nitrate 10, ammonia 0 KH 143 (8drops) nitrite 0. I came home this pm and fish back on his side sometimes on back at bottom of tank, koi sitting in corner. Nitrate 5.0, PH 7.6, high range ph 8.0, Ammonia .25, Nitrite 0, KH 143 I'm kinda at my wits end. am I missing something?? Sorry this is a long saga but there you go...Desperately need help, thanks in advance

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Welcome to Koiphen, although I'm sorry for the reason for your first post!
      I'm going to move your post to the ER section because often times the Goldfish forum doesn't
      get as much exposure.
      Can you take a picture of their tank? You did a great job with your explanation but sometimes a
      picture will expose something to someone that might help.

Good luck!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

FayeK is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks so much, wasn't sure where to put it, but definitely an emergency!! will try for photo tho really not good at computer stuff, good point tho as I did forget to mention tank got cloudy post salt.

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Here's a tutorial that might help when posting pictures for the first time:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...tures-Tutorial

There are a lot of helpful threads here that when you have time might help to get the most
      out of the forum too...:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/forumd...d-Forum-Useage
      --Steve

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

--Steve

• Remove Ads