• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Sick fish ?

Todd4567 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sick fish ?

I have some small fish , peanut size that at times they look like they are in a trance, while in that state other koi will start picking at the fish, chewing tails etc.
      The fish in a trance just allows this to happen, Anyone know why and what is going on ? thanks

graybird is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Could you post the test results and pond info listed in the sticky at the top of the Emergency forum? Having more info about your situation would help us help you. In the mean time, can you isolate the fish that is being targeted to prevent further injury?
      Mary

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is happening in my 220 gal Aquarium, water temp 76 ph 7.4 ammonia 0 Its not just one fish, But it lost half its tail and the other ones
      looked chewed also, My question is why do these fish allow others to do this ? I dont think its the water

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Are all of the fish koi/goldfish/ or a mix of different varieties. Koi and goldfish tend to be good neighbors and like having company. Some of the ciclids and other varieties, not so much. With those temperatures and being indoors, the fish should be swimming casually around the tank, not laying on the bottom. For them to be laying on the bottom with those temperatures, there is something else wrong. For them to allow other fish to attack the fins indicates something is bad wrong. Test the water and report the results for ammonia, nitrite, pH, KH, and nitrate. Poor water is easier and cheaper to fix than treating for parasites and infections. In the mean time, I would get a supply of Proform C, or similar formalin/malachite green parasite treatment and Prazi or Fluke M for flukes.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

All Koi, no other fish. I treated with proform c and prazi a few doses . water is good, I change water about 25% when not medicating.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Actual numbers for the test results is a lot more helpful than a description of "good".

"A few doses" is pretty vague. Proform C treatment should be done for 3 consecutive days with a water change between
      each treatment. On the third dosage you can add Prazi with the Proform C and then leave for 7 days. Then do a water change
      after the 7 days.
      Then I usually wait for another 7 days and then treat with Prazi a second time for another 7 days. The second treatment
      will kill any fluke eggs that have hatched. Be sure your UV is off during treatment.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away