• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Sick koi, probably sick pond

HCaz is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sick koi, probably sick pond

Completely new here. New to Tracy, CA and new to koi. I purchased a house with a stocked koi pond (not intentionally for the koi) and the previous owners have yet to instruct us on how to care for the koi. Itís been 4 weeks and I just learned how to backflush the filter. There are no chemicals here, only algafix, min Finn/NeuFinn treatment, pond-zyme and some water conditioner.
      The pH so far at its 9. Nitrite 0, ammonia .25 and phosphate 2.0. If all tests were performed/read correctly.

There are approx 6 large 20Ē fish, and 15 or so ~6+ inch fish in a pond that is hourglass shaped and approx 3 feet deep, Iím guessing 1500 gallons(maybe). Iíve even spotted some koi fry. The fish seem pretty OK as far as behavior, but they may be slowing down a bit.
      Some of the smaller fish have large growths on their heads and/or body, at least one with parasites/infection on bilateral dorsal fins and I recently spotted a larger fish with a parasite in itís side (anchor worm?) and one fish with possible gonadal tumor. [I personally feel this pond is overstocked and under sized from what Iíve read so far.] Weíre probably going to selectively cull the most diseased ones and try to rehab the pond this weekend unless advised theyíre not too far gone already.
      Can anyone direct me to a vet or hobbyist in my area that is willing to help me out of this desperate situation before I lose all the fish and the pond completely crashes? Is it possible to get the proper pond chemicals at my local PetCo once Iím done testing the water? Iím reading as much as possible as fast as I can but I canít even figure out how to add water to do a water change, I have no quarantine tank or even a pond bucket to prepare treatments, so Iíll need advice on materials needed too. Thanks in advance.

My pond is a hot mess -beautiful but a lot of work
      Last edited by HCaz; 12-15-2018 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Not enough info

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Welcome to Koiphen although I'm sorry for the situation you're in.
      Just some basics while we wait for more knowledgeable members to post...
      Flukes aren't visible except with a microscope, so it's not that. Might be anchor worm or something like that but the
      best thing is if you can take some pictures of the problem fish and pond.
      21 fish in 1500 gallons is way overstocked so you're right on the money about that.
      No idea about vets in your area but we have a lot of members in CA so they should have a better idea.
      You might be able to find test kits at the local fish store... if you don't have them it's good to have drip test kits for
      ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH (which it sounds like you have... check the expiration date), and KH (which often times
      includes GH too). You also probably can find Prime or Safe at the local store... I'd get some of that to have on hand.
      You'll probably need it if you're using city water to do water changes or if you have ammonia readings.

Pictures though would be key in others being able to give advice.
      Good luck and again, welcome!
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

You should have a "Private Message" too. If you've not used a format like Koiphen before just look for
      the link "Notifications" in the top right part of the forum. Click it and you should get an "Inbox" drop down
      link. Click that to view your messages.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

graybird is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

HCaz, I've sent you a private message with a contact name, check under "Notifications" at the top of rhe page. The only parasites that are visible to the naked eye are anchor worm (looks like tiny sticks at 90į angle to the flesh) and fish lice (little jellylike blobs with eye spots). Do the growths look like blobs of candle wax?

If you want to go the vet route, contact Dr. Jessie Sanders at https://cafishvet.com/. She is based in Watsonville but is a fully mobile service. Not cheap but she is very good.

It does sound like you are overstocked and undersized. It would help a lot if you could do 10% water changes twice a week, flushing the filtration each time. Just measure the depth of water in the pond, take 10% of that measurement and let out/replace that much water. That should help your ammonia reading. If your water is under 50, you should not be feeding

If you'd like to learn more, the WWKC still has a few openings for scholarships for the Certified Koi Keeper program offered by Koi Organisation International. See http://koiorganisationinternational....wkc-membership for more info.
      Mary

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you. I had meant anchor worm but fluke was first word to the mind. I looked again and took pics and itís possible that it is a missing scale and the angle of the water obscured my view. I completed the water evaluation and. Was in my updated/edited post.
      Thank you for the information.
      Name:  44D24554-9E20-4658-9A16-381C5CD9E246.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  80.5 KB
      Name:  2BE0AE17-F6F2-436F-818C-7FA943A5D923.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  168.9 KB
      Name:  1A8697F5-56B0-4876-A8CE-48B6C60532B8.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  256.5 KB
      Name:  71DE7679-E5E1-45BB-B374-9135943319D9.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  169.6 KB

graybird is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That is a very pretty pond!

The red fish in the bottom pic looks like it has hikkui, which is a cancer of the cell walls and occurs only in red pigment. Treatments thus far are only experimental.

The top pic fish indeed looks to have a fairly horrific tumor. Sometimes these can respond to surgery; often they grow back.
      Mary

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The smaller fish appear to be goldfish, not koi. The primary visible difference is koi have whiskers, like catfish, and goldfish do not. There are also shape differences, but the whiskers are easy to distinguish.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you very much. I’ll be educating myself on the different species as I can. Always wanted to take basic ichthyology and now I have a great excuse to expedite the process!