----

Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      What is your KH?

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      KH changes, thus the question. I'm not saying that is the issue but it's good to rule it out to make sure.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

KH changes, thus the question. I'm not saying that is the issue but it's good to rule it out to make sure.
      I sent him a pm with this question and many others regarding his pond.

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok, I'll stop participating.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I sent him a pm with this question and many others regarding his pond.
      Why not share your expertise so we can all learn and benefit

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok, I'll stop participating.
      I hope not.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I hope not.
      Sending a PM to me says you are saying something you do not want to share here. I've had my PMS from you that were very out of line imo. Still have them saved also.

Flashing is either from parasites or kh/ph swing. Please enlighten us on your expertise again
      Last edited by kevin32; 12-19-2018 at 10:16 PM.

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

So I've been keeping koi for 4 year-ish now. Seen my fish flash 100s of times over the years. Retrospective, I've been able trace it down to water quality and environment. A little tweek here and there my koi always recovered. Just a week a ago I counted my Yami flash 19x over a short period. So I'm tweeking again . At times it is the koi that doesn't know how to flash (perhaps to get rid of parasites) that end up with a skin condition. Of course you know fish at times flash to get rid of themselves of parasites. And of course you know parasites are part of the normal flora, right? Koi don't have arms to scratch themselves with so they scratch themselves against objects (soft ones I hope). Never have I needed to treat my pond with proform-malachite-pp-whatever (probably never will). Did salt once or twice, never again. But who knows. When I get worried about flashing, I look for any signs of inflammatory response against parasites on their skin. I take note of their slime coat, cropping of their scales, and of any redness or veining. A flashlight helps focus on certain areas for inspection. A mirror placed underneath them help when inspecting their bellies, pecs and chin areas. If you a see spot on their skin that is suspicious, focus on it, tweet your water quality and conditions here and there, and monitor this spot over several days/weeks to make sure it is not getting worst.

Video of belly and chin inspection (sorry for the poor quality vid from my 5 yo iphone):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cvUDmZORao
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by KoiRun View Post
      So I've been keeping koi for 4 year-ish now. Seen my fish flash 100s of times over the years. Retrospective, I've been able trace it down to water quality and environment. A little tweek here and there my koi always recovered. Just a week a ago I counted my Yami flash 19x over a short period. So I'm tweeking again . At times it is the koi that doesn't know how to flash (perhaps to get rid of parasites) that end up with a skin condition. Of course you know fish at times flash to get rid of themselves of parasites. And of course you know parasites are part of the normal flora, right? Koi don't have arms to scratch themselves with so they scratch themselves against objects (soft ones I hope). Never have I needed to treat my pond with proform-malachite-pp-whatever (probably never will). Did salt once or twice, never again. But who knows. When I get worried about flashing, I look for any signs of inflammatory response against parasites on their skin. I take note of their slime coat, cropping of their scales, and of any redness or veining. A flashlight helps focus on certain areas for inspection. A mirror placed underneath them help when inspecting their bellies, pecs and chin areas. If you a see spot on their skin that is suspicious, focus on it, tweet your water quality and conditions here and there, and monitor this spot over several days/weeks to make sure it is not getting worst.

Video of belly and chin inspection (sorry for the poor quality vid from my 5 yo iphone):

Your fish could benefit from better water conditions. Better growth etc...

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Dude fish dont just flash for no reason. Lets be upfront here. The so called spawn never happened..was a big temp change which made the fish want to spawn. Again the koi did not spawn. Maybe some stress hormones

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Many biochemical reactions in living cells, namely enzymatic ones, are temperature and ph (KH) dependent. Genes have to express certain enzymes to cope with these environment changes for proper biochemical functions (necessary for survival). When genes have to express these enzymes on a daily basis it takes a lot of energy on a daily basis. This is a cause of stress on a daily basis. This is why Ph and temperature swings must be kept at a minimum.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      Your fish could benefit from better water conditions. Better growth etc...
      I'm always striving for better water conditions...
      Aren't we all?
      If you are saying your water condition is perfect then what I'd like more than ever is to follow a particular fish of yours that you've grown over the years (not just months) that never died, lost colour, deformed etc... Until then I can't really take you seriously, sorry about that.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I'm always striving for better water conditions...
      Aren't we all?
      If you are saying your water condition is perfect then what I'd like more than ever is to follow a particular fish of yours that you've grown over the years (not just months) that never died, lost colour, deformed etc... Until then I can't really take you seriously, sorry about that.
      Good point. And all good. Let's keep this in a separate thread. My sanke is 4 year old. Also don at great wave engineering has a 15 year old koi that has improved from ro. You can question me all you want and I will answer
      Last edited by kevin32; 12-19-2018 at 11:44 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The mirror thing is a great idea and I see you are using one that cannot injure the koi. I have always stressed and can't stress enough the importance to check the underside of a koi when it's behavior changes.

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by headman View Post
      Thanks for the post ... I am not by any means trying to take anything from anyone ... I am the novice here and I know it We all have to learn as we go. I appreciate everyone’s input for sure even if it seemed I did not. well the water temp is around 64 and the spawning has stopped. There was a few days there when the water was up to 70 and they were chasing each other around. The flashing did start up again unfortunately. All of this started when the temperature dropped for a few days and then went back up ... that same day happen to do a water change and added salt as well. I also added a water lily fertilizer tablet. I did check the salt % yesterday and it was around .2%. I did change some water yesterday but I seem some flashing today on my camera(working). I bought a microscope and a pan net to check for parasites. We tried to catch one yesterday evening but they are to **** quick and we have the wrong net. I should have the microscope Friday. Thanks again
      Hi headman, I’m very happy to see you! So Koi with ‘passion and parasites’ has led you on a merry chase and now sadly you’re just left to deal with the parasites. (Tell your boys ‘better luck next time’ ).
      Is ademink helping you via PM’s?
      Check all of your water parameters. I don’t remember seeing any notation about a problem with any of those but aside from parasites or pH fluctuations, sometimes sensitive Koi will flash with the influx of small amounts of ammonia or nitrite.
      The water parameters are always the first thing to check.
      Salt is good, but be careful if / when you decide on other treatments because some are “salt-sensitive” - don’t do well with salt in a pond. Keep us posted!
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

The mirror thing is a great idea and I see you are using one that cannot injure the koi. I have always stressed and can't stress enough the importance to check the underside of a koi when it's behavior changes.
      That’s such a clever idea, kdh! What kind of mirror do you use that doesn’t get water-logged and fall apart after doing it a few times?
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
      That’s such a clever idea, kdh! What kind of mirror do you use that doesn’t get water-logged and fall apart after doing it a few times?
      Cheap hand mirror I got from Dollarama. Maybe the expensive/fancy ones get water-logged idk.

headman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I haven’t noticed any flashing in the last few day but will continue to watch them close. Our water temperature today is 61... it will drop into the 40’s the next few nights. Here is a underwater video to inspect them. I seen something on one of thier tail fins at the 1:45 mark (one with yellow nose) Please let me know if you see anything or can tell thier sex. I believe the white one with the orange head is a female. Thank you

https://youtu.be/Ar8S05bQbVU

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Thanks headman,
      I enjoyed watching this nice clear video of your inspection on my 4K TV. I really wish people share more of these kinds of videos. Nice clear water, nice fish, fins are in nice shape. Normal curious behaviour on their part. I agree this is something to keep an eye on:

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-23 at 5.59.24 PM.png
Views: 85
Size:  230.7 KB
      Last edited by KoiRun; 12-23-2018 at 06:14 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast