• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Fish with pop eye and also cloudy eye....

Paultergeist is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Fish with pop eye and also cloudy eye....

Greetings.

One of my fish has a problem with his eyes. One eye (as viewed from above) is clearly swollen (“pop eye”) while the other eye of the same fish appears partly cloudy — as if parts of the iris are more opaque (it actually looks like the non-swollen eye has a narrow, vertical pupil like a snake). I do not know what is going on. I have had this fish for at least two years, with no previous apparent diseases in the pond during that time. I have not added any new fish to the pond in that time, but as it is outdoors, all sorts of animals are visiting the pond as a watering hole. The fish continues to have a good appepite for food.

This is not an expensive fish, but I guess I do have some sentimental attachment to the little guy. I would like to give him a fighting chance if it is reasonable for me to do so. I currently do not have a quarantine system set-up, but it would not be that hard for me to set something up if I decide to try and treat the fish.

Just wondering what the options might be. I don’t have much experience in this scenario. I am curious what the odds are for survival if I intervene, or should I just let nature take its course?

Thanks.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Can you provide a picture of the fish in a blue bowl, so that it is very easily seen? A picture in other container is better than nothing. Are there other symptoms, like scales standing out, flashing, breaching, hanging in one spot, sitting with fins clamped?

Can you provide numbers fro ammonia, nitrite, pH, KH, temperature?

The more information that we have the better our chances of finding a cure if needed.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the response. The little sucker is hard to catch......I am going to have to acquire at least one more large net if I am ever going to catch this fish for quarantine or photography purposes.

I tried taking a few photos with my cell-phone camera, but they are not of a close-enough range to be useful. Studying the fish closely, I do also see a couple of scales which seem slightly protruding outward. The fish is actively swimming around as normal, fins not clamped, eating well.

Water-quality wise, I would want to get fresh test kits before I stated parameters with absolute confidence, but my experience with this pond makes me doubt that has anything to do with ammonia or nitrite (was always non-detectable once the bio-filtration was established). Nitrates probably get about as high as 60 ppm between water changes, and daytime pH is around 8.0, but I do have a lot of carpet algae and my suspicion is that the pH may get lower at night.

Based on my history with this pond, my strong suspicion is that this is some kind of infection -- but I had thought I was pretty safe with not having added any new fish to the pond in a very long time. I guess there could alternatively be some sort of injury / illness involved. Everyone else in the pond appears normal and in good health.

As I look for ideas on the web, i seems to me that there are a number of things that *could* be causing these symptoms, but there does not seem to be a single *likely* cause (and thus a likely remedy). In other words, this is not something pretty obvious (like "ich" [white spot]) from the displayed symptoms? I like this fish, but.....from what I am reading, the odds are not looking good for an un-diagnosed treatment. I plan to keep doing some reading, but I don't see a practical way to diagnose this.

Thanks again for your reply.

FRK is offline Supporting Member
      is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

Just a left field speculation here. Could be "Dropsy".

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Eyes popping outward and scales standing out (just a few if it is doitsu, due to not having many) are signs of dropsy. The only way to cure, if that is the case, is to catch and treat with antibiotics, and quarantine. Dropsy is a case where the kidneys are overwhelmed, either due to kidney failure or more water entering the koi than the kidneys can expel. I often found dropsy a result of a major ulcer on the bottom, where the skin is not preventing the movement of water from the pond into the fish due to the higher salinity of the blood, about 0.9%. In quarantine, with high salinity, the pressure can be relieved from the kidneys by getting the salinity of the pond and the fish near each other. I have quarantined at up to 0.8% salinity.

Catching the fish will allow you to examine the bottom, which is the most common place for ulcers to get large as you rarely see that side of the fish. Without catching there is little chance of treatment with antibiotics, or high salinity.

Getting a good look at the fish and possibly some good pictures will help with the diagnosis.

There are many avenues for parasites to enter a pond, from frogs, snakes, toads, wading/bathing birds, etc. but for fish that are healthy and unstressed, the numbers rarely do any harm, but with cooling water, the fish are somewhat stressed and parasites can increase in number and do the damage. Many times the fish will show strange behavior indicating irritation, but not always.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Rich. It is now going to have to wait for the weekend, as I am not home in daylight hours.

If I decide to roll the dice and treat the fish this weekend — assuming I can catch it — what would be the recommended antibiotic? I may just order it on-line right now so that I have it by the weekend.

Thanks again.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
      Thanks Rich. It is now going to have to wait for the weekend, as I am not home in daylight hours.

If I decide to roll the dice and treat the fish this weekend — assuming I can catch it — what would be the recommended antibiotic? I may just order it on-line right now so that I have it by the weekend.

Thanks again.
      If your koi has dropsy due to bacterial infection (most common). It well probably not make it by the week end.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The only one that I could recommend that you could get by order would be Tricide Neo. The other antibiotics are injectible Baytril or Amikacin, but these you have to get from a vet, and unless you have a very good relationship with a vet, you are likely to spend much time for naught. If it is dropsy, then the spray method would be my preference, mixing up no more than a one gallon size packet with a gallon of distilled water and putting it in a spray bottle. Follow the time of treatment that is on the package, but instead of soaking the fish in a container, sedate the fish and spray the entire fish, including the gills, keeping it wetted with solution for the specified time. Then put the fish in a rinse tank to waken, and then transfer to isolation for subsequent doses.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

So one eye seems pop-eyed, the other cloudy. There are a couple of protruding scales. Otherwise the fish is swimming and eating well.
      Any updates?
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007