• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: What's the scoop on underwater cameras in ponds?

Cecil is offline Senior Member
      is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

What's the scoop on underwater cameras in ponds?

I'd like to mount a camera to a pier post underwater in my trout pond to view some really large ones cruising by in the winter. The water will be gin clear and my swim spa room is only 25 feet from the pond shore. Another 10 feet or so to the pier post. Was hoping to watch them cruise by on an unused TV or some other kind of monitor or even my computer. I can easily run a cable into the house.

I saw the following and another link to just that, but both said they could no longer access the product. Seems I should be able to make my own if I know what to purchase.

http://www.bonniesplants.com/BuyCamera.html

Thanks in advance!
      The risk I took was calculated, but man am I bad at math!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Being told on Ebay all I need is this with the desired cable length.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273193555128

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
      Being told on Ebay all I need is this with the desired cable length.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273193555128
      Wow! Never saw that before but please do let me know if you buy it and how well it works! I've been looking at cameras like "GoPro" to use in my pond and they're a LOT more expensive than that!
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Candy after some searching that price looks too good to be true. The following ones seem higher quality and stainless steel is a plus. I see one of them is available on Amazon for $10.00 more.

http://www.surveillance-spy-cameras....er-cameras.htm

is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

Candy after some searching that price looks too good to be true. The following ones seem higher quality and stainless steel is a plus. I see one of them is available on Amazon for $10.00 more.

http://www.surveillance-spy-cameras....er-cameras.htm
      Hi Cecil,
      I've purchased plants from Bonnie for years and I'd trust her judgement. Her comment about not finding any on the market as reliable is a little bit of a concern.
      I checked out Advance Security Underwater Camera on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Underwater-...erwater+Camera

For me I have these concerns: The company site has no real consumer reviews; just a few flattering blurbs. On Amazon: *Only 3 people purchased. Of those three, only one (who purchased in 2016) elected to answer any of the consumer questions asked in 2017 and 2018. - Not really a good sign.
      *One of the people who purchased (2017) reviewed and said they loved the camera but "I gave only 4 stars because after about 3 months I noticed that it was beginning to rust. So far it hasn't effected the picture, but it is on the surrounding bezel and is spreading." That person didn't answer later questions.

If I could find another place with more reviews on the item I'd happily reconsider that purchase; I'm just not a gambler.

There's also a plethora of "fishing" types of underwater cameras on Amazon if you haven't already checked them out (or perhaps they're not what you're looking for) : https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...XBXW2ZJGV&th=1

Price ranges go much higher and lower, wide variety of features and brands, etc.

Let me know if you find anything good!

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

All good points. I'd consider getting a fishing camera if I knew I could hook it up to my TV. And I could use it for fishing trips too if I got an extra camera and cable. I suppose I could ask the manufacturer of one of the fishing cameras.

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

I have a query out to one of the ice fishing camera manufacturers. Will post what I find.

GloriaL is offline Supporting Member
      is YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life
      time Diamond Member

Feeling:
      ----

I have had probably 5 underwater cameras in the last 12 years. My experience with all of them is that after about a year you begin to get condensation inside the lens. I even bought one, took it apart and sealed all of the seams with silicone. Still leaked. I have been using this one https://www.amazon.com/Vanxse-Underw...AiL&ref=plSrch for about 6 months, so far so good. The only maintenance has been periodically cleaning the algae off the lens, so don’t put it where you can’t get to it be because it will get algae. I figure with all the money I spend on everything koi, $79 every 12-18 months is ‘t bad for the peace of mind I get from being able to see my fish
      GloriaL
      YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life time Diamond Member # 10

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

I got a response back from a tech from Marcum that makes and sells ice fishing cameras. He suggested the following which is a wifi unit and operates up to 300 feet. You can also control the camera angle etc. remotely. Not cheap but not outrageous if it's designed for continuous underwater use and a quality piece of equipment. I'm sure there's a warranty.

Description
      The new MarCum WiFi PanCam System immediately sets the bar for how mobile cameras should work. Much more than just a way to view what your underwater camera is seeing, you can now take complete control of all your camera’s functionality from the palm of your hand. The new MarCum WiFi PanCam System and free MarCum Control App connects you, your smart phone or tablet and camera into one advanced, integrated system. From up to 300 feet away, you can remotely change camera direction, adjust lighting and even snap still images or record videos and instantly save them on your phone or video library… even post them to Facebook or Twitter. Discover the freedom that only MarCum’s modern technology can bring you. Download the PanCam App Android Smart Phone or Tablet / iPhone or iPad (must download onto the device you are using PanCam system with)

https://shop.marcumtech.com/product/...ystem-upgrade/
      Last edited by Cecil; 12-01-2018 at 10:44 PM.

totallyvictorian is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Wow! This camera looks awesome (MarCum). Wish I had the extra $$$. I always worry about my fish under the solar blanket and can't see
      them. Hope you find something that works for you Cecil.

Pam

Montgomery County Water Garden Society
      Clarksville, Tn

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

I see what you mean, GloriaL. If they’re going to be replaced fairly frequently buying one like that will certainly buy peace of mind without breaking the bank.

Cecil, that looks like a really nice ‘middle of the road’ model in terms of price, with lots of “bells & whistles”.
      I think the only thing that would really move it up above the others in its class would be a motion sensor (I don’t remember seeing that). Pretty cool. But overall this is definitely one to consider.

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Wow Cecil that is cool. I'm going to order one as soon as I have some extra $. Would love to view my koi in the garage while at work. My mom is 10 minutes from me so she can always check on my babies for me.

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Well looks like I may not purchase a camera this year. The trout pond after shutting down the well for the winter has a brownish tint to it probably due to tannin from leaves or it may be some kind of winter phytoplankton bloom. The Weeping Willow my mother insisted I plant near the pond has become a monster and is constantly losing leaves. And my Maple trees shed more and more leaves every year too. If it doesn't turn crystal clear this winter like it used to it won't be worth the expense.

I also just had to fork over a grand for a new chiller for the trout hatching and fingerling rearing tank in the basement. My chiller suddenly doesn't want to kick on anymore.
      Last edited by Cecil; 12-01-2018 at 11:03 PM.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Well looks like I may not purchase a camera this year. The trout pond after shutting down the well for the winter has a brownish tint to it probably due to tannin from leaves or it may be some kind of winter phytoplankton bloom. The Weeping Willow my mother insisted I plant near the pond has become a monster and is constantly losing leaves. And my Maple trees shed more and more leaves every year too. If it doesn't turn crystal clear this winter like it used to it won't be worth the expense.

I also just had to fork over a grand for a new chiller for the trout hatching and fingerling rearing tank in the basement. My chiller suddenly doesn't want to kick on anymore.

Test the compressor run capacitor.

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      Test the compressor run capacitor.

Garfield
      Got the chiller working again but still getting the second chiller as a back up.

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      Wow Cecil that is cool. I'm going to order one as soon as I have some extra $. Would love to view my koi in the garage while at work. My mom is 10 minutes from me so she can always check on my babies for me.
      I see Ebay has used ones for a third of the cost of new ones.

is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

I'm so very sorry, Cecil! I know how much you were looking forward to getting it. It was fun exploring the options with you too! Maybe Santa will help you out with a little extra something at Christmas?

bravetang8 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you end up back on the search for a camera, this one popped up on Amazon a couple weeks ago and seems to meet all my criteria. I will be buying it soon:

Name:  61RTeyoRbuL (Small).jpg
Views: 977
Size:  18.2 KB
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1WWFSQKRTOSZS

316 Stainless Steel housing, power over ethernet, 2mm lens with 140 degree wide viewing angle (important for ponds), Sony STARVIS sensor, 5 meter cable, short 2 meter focus range

I was tempted to choose the aluminum version, which is also supposedly corrosion-resistant and $90 cheaper, but I'm not sure how long it would last permanently fixed underwater. If anyone with experience with marine grade aluminum could comment on that, it would be appreciated.

I also made a thread earlier this year on using a gopro dome to house IP cameras, in case it is useful. I ended up dismantling it recently because the dome was degrading over time:
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...-buffet-feeder
      Last edited by bravetang8; 12-11-2018 at 05:29 PM.

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
      I'm so very sorry, Cecil! I know how much you were looking forward to getting it. It was fun exploring the options with you too! Maybe Santa will help you out with a little extra something at Christmas?
      I got my chiller to work again but already ordered the $1000.00 chiller so I will use it as back up.

I filled a jar with pond water and it's actually quite clear with a very small amount of sediment settling after a few days. It may just be sediment stirred up by the fish in spawning activity as there were a few hundred trout in the pond before I harvested most of them and it was spawning season for the brooks and browns.

I may still swing for a camera after I purchase a couple of sieve screens or wait until next year.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007