• Tired
  • Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into koi - 4000g DIY build in a tiny yard

jcardona1 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by hp View Post
      Really nice.. I love that nice layer of the green algae too! And I also understand the overwhelming feeling sometimes of constant projects.. Why not delay it until the fall or next year, and just enjoy the pond and summer for now?

hp.
      My problem is that I need to see a protect to its completion. Because if I leave little tasks unfinished, they will never get done!
      ~ Jose

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here's 3 minutes of nothing but koi and waterfall views. Not a bad way to unwind after work

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I love how your stream/waterfall enters the pond.
      Well done! You should be proud.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

It looks great. It's funny how the pond looks so big now, but when you were digging the hole it looked much smaller.

Name:  Mmf1nn9.jpgh.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  331.9 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well it's official. I have fully descended into string algae hell. Full disclosure so folks new to the hobby can see the ups and downs.

All my equipment has to be cleaned out twice a day, before and after work. It's a never ending string algae production line in my pond!

I ordered 27% peroxide (Baquacil Oxidizer) which should be here in a few days. The 4 quarts of 3% did absolutely nothing.

Also added calcium chloride to help with PH spikes just in case to keep the fish happy. A few days ago I dumped in 40lbs of salt around the bottom drains and that killed off quite a bit, the whole area turned white. I was afraid the thick algae around the drains would start to clog my BDs.

This is what my leaf baskets look like twice a day.

And here is what my RDF is having to deal with. This stuff is even getting through the drum by pushing through the seals and clogging the leaf basket of my pump AFTER the RDF! Can't wait for this to be over.

~ Jose

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Inside the waste tray. This has no chance to get washed away so it just builds up inside. The pieces are so long that it just clings to the sides of the waste tray and accumulates in here.

Despite all this the water is still relatively clear so at least that's good.

~ Jose

is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Wow, that stuff's nasty. I admired your green carpet algae a few weeks ago and said I wished my pond would get it. I take that back!

TylerDurden is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Im amazed how clear your water still is even with the string algae. My string algae always released small green particles that turned the water green.

Congrats on that I guess.

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

This is one of the worst case scenarios for an RDF to deal with. Thick matter that does not get carried down the drain easily.
      Would it be possible for you to rig a water supply on a solenoid to flush the stuff down the drain in concert with the RDF spray cycle?

What you want to do is to prevent the build up of crud over time. A little can be sprayed down the drain if there is adequate water flow. That much on the other hand is heading no where with the light sprinkling of water through the RDF mesh.

On the bright side, all that crud is taking a load of unwanted nutrients out of the pond. It's the freshwater equivalent of a marine algae filter.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
      Well it's official. I have fully descended into string algae hell. Full disclosure so folks new to the hobby can see the ups and downs.

All my equipment has to be cleaned out twice a day, before and after work. It's a never ending string algae production line in my pond!

I ordered 27% peroxide (Baquacil Oxidizer) which should be here in a few days. The 4 quarts of 3% did absolutely nothing.

Also added calcium chloride to help with PH spikes just in case to keep the fish happy. A few days ago I dumped in 40lbs of salt around the bottom drains and that killed off quite a bit, the whole area turned white. I was afraid the thick algae around the drains would start to clog my BDs.

This is what my leaf baskets look like twice a day.

And here is what my RDF is having to deal with. This stuff is even getting through the drum by pushing through the seals and clogging the leaf basket of my pump AFTER the RDF! Can't wait for this to be over.

Please be careful how much 27% hydrogen peroxide you add.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post

I love how your stream/waterfall enters the pond.
      Well done! You should be proud.
      Thank you, I sure am happy with the outcome. I feel like it fits the space perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by pickerel View Post
      It looks great. It's funny how the pond looks so big now, but when you were digging the hole it looked much smaller.
      Yeah big difference. The raised wall and paver edging gives it a much bigger feel.

Wow, that stuff's nasty. I admired your green carpet algae a few weeks ago and said I wished my pond would get it. I take that back!
      Haha I wish I could take it back too. It looked nice at first. Had I known what it was going to turn into I would have started nuking it earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
      Im amazed how clear your water still is even with the string algae. My string algae always released small green particles that turned the water green.

Congrats on that I guess.
      Yeah the last pond I built didn't get string algae as bad as this but it did turn pea soup green for a few months. Seems like every new pond goes through a difference process as it matures.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post
      This is one of the worst case scenarios for an RDF to deal with. Thick matter that does not get carried down the drain easily.
      Would it be possible for you to rig a water supply on a solenoid to flush the stuff down the drain in concert with the RDF spray cycle?

What you want to do is to prevent the build up of crud over time. A little can be sprayed down the drain if there is adequate water flow. That much on the other hand is heading no where with the light sprinkling of water through the RDF mesh.

On the bright side, all that crud is taking a load of unwanted nutrients out of the pond. It's the freshwater equivalent of a marine algae filter.
      I'm not sure if additional water flow would help. The problem is the pieces are so long that most of it is dangling over the edges of the waste tray, hanging in the water. When I clean out the tray I have to reach in and pull out a lot of it over the edge. That's what causes it to build up over the day into that huge mound you see in the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      Please be careful how much 27% hydrogen peroxide you add.
      Thanks Russ. I noticed the Health sticky says the dosage should be 1 cup/8oz per 1000g every 3~5 days. However I think I'll follow Billy's (Cascade Pond) advice which cuts that dose in half; 1 cup for every 2000g every other day. Also ordered some LaMotte hydrogen peroxide test strips so I can keep an eye on the PPM levels.

Billy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I use Baquacil Oxidizer 27% hydrogen peroxide. 1 cup for every 2000 gallons every other day. In 3 or 4 treatments it's dead.

Other Sites Sale prices are our everyday prices.
      Vice President Oregon Koi and Watergarden Society

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
      I use Baquacil Oxidizer 27% hydrogen peroxide. 1 cup for every 2000 gallons every other day. In 3 or 4 treatments it's dead.
      Thanks Billy. I had seen several of your posts and was planning on following your advice.
      ~ Jose

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Warmest day of the season so far! Pond got up to about 82°. My other digital thermometer reads 80° so I'll just assume the highest temp. Hopefully this is the warmest the pond gets and will get better once the shade is installed.

~ Jose

is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

I would be happy with 82 for a high. We're in a cool spell right now and the water is at 77, but a couple of weeks ago it was up to 89.

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

I would be happy with 82 for a high. We're in a cool spell right now and the water is at 77, but a couple of weeks ago it was up to 89.
      77F or 25C is ideal temp for koi and goldfish
      Hummm you’re should alway try to keep your water if possible within this range
      M.Nguyen

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Dang. It's the potential for conditions like this that make me want to install a sieve in front of the RDF.
      I'm pretty sure that stuff would choke the average sewage sump pump.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So I'm not sure what's happening but I've started to see a massive die-off of the string algae that started yesterday. I haven't even received the 27% peroxide yet. Would salt have this much of an impact? It's a huge difference from where the pond was this weekend. Salt levels are currently 0.18%.

As you can see in this photo, most of the bottom has turned a whitish yellow and gone are the long stands of algae. Not that I'm complaining, but I am curious what killed it off!

~ Jose

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
      And I take back what I said earlier thinking the carpet algae looked cool. Now it's just getting annoying! My wife and I went away for a short 3-day trip and came back to my RDF's waste tray completely backed up with algae soup! The pipe wasn't clogged, the sludge was just too heavy to get washed away down the pipe. Yesterday I added 4 quarts of 3% H2O2 to see if it keeps the algae growth in check a bit.
      The effect of the H2O2 doesn't happen instantly. I suspect the die off might be because of the H2O2 added last week.
      Patience is a virtue in the pond world it seems... everything takes time and it often takes a couple weeks to see the effect.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

I didn't know of the delayed reaction to H202...good to know. I'm glad the stuff seems to be dying.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast