• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Late October Blooms

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Late October Blooms

2018 has been a record warm year here with over 120 days at 90 degrees or higher, but today was the first day since early May we didn't reach 80 F... it struggled to hit 79 F. Given the abrupt change in seasonal conditions, there were still a number of blooms, though the cooler morning temps made them late to open....and when I saw BluBop ( second photo ) I realized I need to refill some ponds. < g >
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Wiscdude is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Blubop as a bog plant, who knew!? That autumn colored lily is very nice. I really need to get some lilies from you in early spring of 2019 so set aside a micrantha tuber please. I also would like that spotted hybrid of yours in the 4th photo. I believe it's an offspring of micrantha yes? Those lilies will do well in my climate. I can send you some cool lilies as a trade. Let me know Craig. I want to experiment with hybridization of micrantha.

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Glad to save lilies for you. The spotted one is named 'Shooting Star' and while I assume it is a micrantha hybrid...it appeared as a volunteer. I will say I prefer it to 'Islamorada' as it has mottled pads and is nowhere near as 'weedy'; it can actually be stingy with its vivips.

I still have N. pulchella blooming that a friend in St. Croix sent me. He sent it as N. ampla which it very much resembles , but Dr. Wiersma ID'ed as pulchella. It doesn't tuber as readily as ampla....but I'll see if I can't get it to be more co-operative and put a tuber aside for you. < g >
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

Beautiful pictures and plants
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

Wiscdude is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
      Glad to save lilies for you. The spotted one is named 'Shooting Star' and while I assume it is a micrantha hybrid...it appeared as a volunteer. I will say I prefer it to 'Islamorada' as it has mottled pads and is nowhere near as 'weedy'; it can actually be stingy with its vivips.

I still have N. pulchella blooming that a friend in St. Croix sent me. He sent it as N. ampla which it very much resembles , but Dr. Wiersma ID'ed as pulchella. It doesn't tuber as readily as ampla....but I'll see if I can't get it to be more co-operative and put a tuber aside for you. < g >
      Thanks Craig, I appreciate it.

Koigarden is offline Member
      is happy as a clam

Feeling:
      Friendly

Craig and Wisc dude,
      Lovely pics!

I have 4 question for you two. I'm an avid gardener. I've never had a lily and live here in cold conditions in IL like you, Wisc dude.

I'm thinking about getting one in the spring but....

I'm reading koi can tear up lilies, so do you have them in your koi pond or separate?

If in how to you have them.. in a pot of kitty litter, in a floating basket...?

What kind would you recommend for fastest vigorous growth in cold IL that can tolerate .3% salt and survive in an unheated pond? Would that lovely one with the variagated leaf work?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007