• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Follow my friesīdevelopment!

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Follow my friesīdevelopment!

I have some 3-week-old fries. Their mother is a tancho sanke, and their potential fathers are many, mostly sanke, but also one completely black and one ochiba.

This is the first year I have got bigger koi older than 1 year in my pond, and these are the result of the first spawn I have ever had. I did not expect that the parents were so Quick at eating up the eggs, so I just got rescue some eggs and later some 40 fries. I took good care of them so the most of them have survived up to now.

For 2 weeks ago most of them were overly yellow and the rest green-grey. I could not see any pattern. Now I start to see patterns. I Think that it might be interesting for others to follow, so I have chosen 3 typical ones (also the biggest ones, about 1 inch now. The others are 1/2-3/4 inch and much thinner) and post their photos here. I will do continuous photo-updates of them here!

The first one is also the biggest. I start to see White patterns of the otherwise yellow fry. Possbly kohaku or kohaku first, sanke later?

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  24.0 KB

The second one is also the next biggest. I start to see that the green-grey color is no longer even throughout its boday. Maybe ochiba-type with 2 colors, one grey and one darker?

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  25.7 KB

The third is also the third biggest. As it is mostly yellow with dark patterns on its back I guess that it may be a sanke?

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  24.6 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

trumpetdoug is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Should be fun to watch.

Doug - out
      See Our Pond https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ond&highlight=

Blank Check Project - Helping those who stand on that wall. www.blankcheckproject.com

Koigrl is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Thanks for sharing your new babies and good luck raising them up.

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I like the middle one

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
      … the biggest ones, about 1 inch now. The others are 1/2-3/4 inch and much thinner ...
      Nice going! You might consider separating the larger ones off from the rest until the little ones get big enough to not get eaten. I've found that helps in getting larger numbers to survive. Looking forward to the photos as they develop.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Which ones to keep?

Hi friends!

It was 3 weeks ago I started this thread, and now the fries (40 Days old) have become bigger with clearer patterns. I would like to learn how to determine whether any of them is worth keeping. I would greatly appreciate it if you also could say the reason why those are worh keeping while others not. I really want to learn!

I have numbered them on the photos. Same fish may be given different numbers in different Pictures, and the original 3 fries are numbered 1, 2 and 3.

Thank you very much and kind regards!

Simon
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Last edited by SimonW; 09-12-2018 at 07:03 AM.

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

As long as your numbers are not to high for now just cull for deformities and anything that not showing any type of coloration (all white) as long there not metalic just enjoy them a little longer you will learn more as they develop keep us posted, #21 it's looking Kohaku but it appears that #12 is the same koi.
      Last edited by Orlando; 09-12-2018 at 04:35 PM.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

… now the fries (40 Days old) have become bigger with clearer patterns. I would like to learn how to determine whether any of them is worth keeping. I would greatly appreciate it if you also could say the reason why those are worh keeping while others not. I really want to learn! ...
      Hi Simon,

Looks like excellent growth and development for their age. I'm most interested in the development of 3, 5, 12/21, 14, and 15 (though presently thin). Also, 4 has a nice shape. I don't know how many fry you have, but if it's just these or not many more, you may want to only cull those with deformities and keep the rest for a good while yet to watch their development.

Some make look to have a deformity, but it is hard to tell from a single photo. For example, 8 may have a crooked head/snout, but you would have to examine from different angles as a ripple on the surface can make it appear that way in a single photo. Also, 9 (the dark one, as there are 2 in the first photo) could have protruding gills, though that fry might have been blowing out its gills when the photo was snapped. And some look to thin, but I have seen some thicken up quite a bit after the first couple of months.

Overall, you have a nice looking group to watch there. Please keep us posted on the developments.

Matt

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Matt:

Thank you for your reply. It is really encouraging!

They are almost all I have. I looked at the ones you mentioned, and I found that none of they are deformed as they appeared to be on the photos.

I will keep updating this thread!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Red face

Now one year has gone since my last post, and most of them died except those 5. They have survived out in the pond. Today I succeeded in catching them for photographing.

Between last fall (20180905) and this spring (May 2019) they did not grow anything, because the water was too cold for them to eat. The 8 cm growth was gained during the last 3 months.

Three of them are really too ugly to keep (one kohaku, one dirty sanke, one white with black tancho), while two (showa and ochiba) are at least pond grade! I had several ones that looked similar when the first photos were taken last September, so I just picked out one for comparison.

Name:  Comparison 20190831.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  32.4 KBName:  Comparison 20190831a.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  50.1 KB
      What do you think?
      Last edited by SimonW; 09-04-2019 at 02:24 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Now one year has gone since my last post, and most of them died except those 5. They have survived out in the pond. Today I succeeded in catching them for photographing.

Between last fall (20180905) and this spring (May 2019) they did not grow anything, because the water was too cold for them to eat. The 8 cm growth was gained during the last 3 months.

Three of them are really too ugly to keep (one kohaku, one dirty sanke, one white with black tancho), while two (showa and ochiba) are at least pond grade! I had several ones that looked similar when the first photos were taken last September, so I just picked out one for comparison.

What do you think?
      Sorry that so few made it. At least you have a couple that you can enjoy watching grow on. I guess the growing season must be pretty short there. Thanks for the update Simon.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you too!

The growing season is indeed terribly short. Without heating the water temperature drops below 8 C as early as 8/9 last year, and it does not go back to 8 C until 5/5 this year.

This year I got more fries, 100-200. I may keep them indoors during the winter if my garage has room for one more tank. The few bigger koi that survived last winter out in the pond have the priority to be indoors.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007