• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Nymphaea thermarum

Wiscdude is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nymphaea thermarum

The smallest water lily in the world, Nymphaea thermarum. This small African water lily will grow in wet soil, like a bog plant. I had the water level at 4 inches but the blooms would open under the water. I am happy to grow this rare lily in Wisconsin. I have heard of others growing it out larger than this.
      Attached Images Attached Images     

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

matherfish is offline Senior Member
      is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Beautiful! Congratulations!
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

Koiphen 2019 Koi Person of the Year!

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

Really neat never heard of it, I use too have that really small white one I cant remember the name of but it through out tons of seedlings but I never could get one too grow my old one finally died. It hd a bulb kinda like a pine cone
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Great you have a thermarum, Matt! Can I ask if it came with an MTA, or are you free to use it as you see fit?
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

Rotareneg is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

For anyone unfamiliar with Nymphaea thermarum: It's a unique semi-aquatic lily that, in the wild, lived entirely in a couple square meters of habitat in the overflow from a hot spring in Rwanda. Around 2008 water from the spring was diverted for agriculture which lead to the plant going extinct in the wild with only seeds and a few live plants being kept in the Bonn botanical garden. Unfortunately they couldn't get the seeds to grow into adult plants when they tried to germinate them underwater as you would with other water lilies. A horticulturist at Kew discovered the trick to get the seeds to germinate and grow: the seeds need to be kept around 25c in water saturated soil, on or just under the surface such that they are exposed to air as they germinate.

Here's Kew's description of the species: http://powo.science.kew.org/taxon/ur...names:936393-1

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
      Great you have a thermarum, Matt! Can I ask if it came with an MTA, or are you free to use it as you see fit?
      Hi Craig. I received it as a gift from a fellow water lily enthusiast in the U.S. that has an aquatics business. He is on the up and up. He knows I love to hybridize and thought maybe I could do some good work with it. I was told not to sell it. That is not permitted whatsoever. I know he would not mind it if I shared it with you. I will ask him to be sure of course. He is an IWGS guy so you never know LOL. No official agreement that I had to sign. He trusts me. I messaged Carlos to let him know who I got it from and asked him if this was a problem. He said it was fine but if someone does acquire it and sells it, it could bring in to question everyone who has it. He makes a good point. I posted photos of it on social media and I got a bunch of requests from international types. Especially Thailand. I think Nopchai is the only one who has it there. Anyway, I will send you an email later when I get the time. I have some non related questions for you.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by gander View Post
      Really neat never heard of it, I use too have that really small white one I cant remember the name of but it through out tons of seedlings but I never could get one too grow my old one finally died. It hd a bulb kinda like a pine cone
      Maybe you had pygmaea. I got that one this year and it is tiny as well. Some call it tetragona. I think it depends where in the world it comes from. I have got mixed answers from those in the know. Here's a photo from 2 days ago of it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by matherfish View Post
      Beautiful! Congratulations!
      Thank you.

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Beautiful! Thanks for the pic with the penny. That really shows how tiny it is. Amazing!
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

Feeling:
      Amused

Hey Matt,

Interested I am. I had seed offered to me a few years back, from Kew but they had to get Bonn's permission. As I recall Carlos explaining it to me, as the institution involved in the discovery, Bonn controlled distribution. That was when I replaced Kit as the source of Victoria seed, so Bonn and Kew both knew me well. But I digress...at the time I had to sign an MTA that did not even allow for any commercial use....or even to use it for hybridization. I did get the seed for the enjoyment of growing, but when I opened the vial to look at them and take them to be planted....I tripped over something and the tiny seed spilled onto the carpet never to be seen again. I never had the nerve to tell Carlos what happened and ask for more. < g >

I do have 'White Colorata', ampla and possibly pulchella to share if you know anyone interested . Derek, I will contact directly....I need to say Hi to him anyway. MoBot is on my list to revisit and the behind the scene tours are tough to beat. Heading to ABG in November. < g >

I'll watch for the email.
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
      Hey Matt,

Interested I am. I had seed offered to me a few years back, from Kew but they had to get Bonn's permission. As I recall Carlos explaining it to me, as the institution involved in the discovery, Bonn controlled distribution. That was when I replaced Kit as the source of Victoria seed, so Bonn and Kew both knew me well. But I digress...at the time I had to sign an MTA that did not even allow for any commercial use....or even to use it for hybridization. I did get the seed for the enjoyment of growing, but when I opened the vial to look at them and take them to be planted....I tripped over something and the tiny seed spilled onto the carpet never to be seen again. I never had the nerve to tell Carlos what happened and ask for more. < g >

I do have 'White Colorata', ampla and possibly pulchella to share if you know anyone interested . Derek, I will contact directly....I need to say Hi to him anyway. MoBot is on my list to revisit and the behind the scene tours are tough to beat. Heading to ABG in November. < g >

I'll watch for the email.
      That is hillarious that you dumped the seeds by accident. Murphy's law. Better that the plants come directly from you to Mobot. I sent you 2 emails. I had to correct some info.
      Last edited by Wiscdude; 08-20-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Paulzie67 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

HI, I know this is an old post, but was wondering if anyone on here knows where I can obtain seeds for this gem? Or trade? I have a small lily that i'm told is possibly 'Helvola" and happy to share. I also have Micro Lotus as well as N. lutea seeds.
      I'm in Tampa.

Feeling:
      Amused

Hello,

I was recently gifted this by the curator at a botanical garden and have gotten the first bloom. The small pot also came with some seedlings I need to transplant. If I get some seed, I will let you know, but as I recall from my years of supplying the EU with Victoria seed, the postage was pretty pricey, though I don't recall needing a phytosanitary permit. Guess I need to get seed first, before I worry about the details. < g >

Craig

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Thumbs up

WOW!!!! That's AMAZING!!! Are those all seedlings in the pot too?
      So you're down near Naples? I'm in Tampa area.
      PLEEEAAAASE keep me informed!!!
      Last edited by Paulzie67; 08-30-2021 at 10:16 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Wiscdude View Post
      Maybe you had pygmaea. I got that one this year and it is tiny as well. Some call it tetragona. I think it depends where in the world it comes from. I have got mixed answers from those in the know. Here's a photo from 2 days ago of it.
      Is that photo of Tetragona??? Wow! Pretty cool!
      I heard Minuta is just as tiny as tetragona.
      Anyone grow both and can confirm? Maybe with a pic with penny ;-)

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007