This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Any updates?

lookitspara is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi, i know iam late to the party. but is there any chance you share the stl files or the sketchup projekt?

LynxDK is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Hi everyone.

Sry for the long time since last update, but i have had alot going on peronally and also with work... This corona "#¤%& aint helping either.

So to be short, i dont have anything to show since last time, but i can say that i should have everything in house, materials etc. so i only need to Mill / Print and assemble.. and then test it.

This also means that i havent done any work with my pond, which is very very dirty, im pretty sure that when i get this thing going, it will have the worst test possible to clean up this 60000 Liter pond.

Im planning to buy 2x21000 Liter Pumps, just to mount in the pond to stir up all the goo... and allow the bottom drain points to suck it into the filter.

It will all be very exiting.

As for the .STL Files.... I cant tell which parts im going to share or not... i might share the files for something like all the drum ribs, as there are many needed, and they takes alot of time to print. Also they are not so big that people with a normal little printer can print them themselves. But all the Machined PEHD Parts will problaly not be shared, but well see

Tuckers is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by LynxDK View Post
      Hi everyone.

Sry for the long time since last update, but i have had alot going on peronally and also with work... This corona "#¤%& aint helping either.

So to be short, i dont have anything to show since last time, but i can say that i should have everything in house, materials etc. so i only need to Mill / Print and assemble.. and then test it.

This also means that i havent done any work with my pond, which is very very dirty, im pretty sure that when i get this thing going, it will have the worst test possible to clean up this 60000 Liter pond.

Im planning to buy 2x21000 Liter Pumps, just to mount in the pond to stir up all the goo... and allow the bottom drain points to suck it into the filter.

It will all be very exiting.

As for the .STL Files.... I cant tell which parts im going to share or not... i might share the files for something like all the drum ribs, as there are many needed, and they takes alot of time to print. Also they are not so big that people with a normal little printer can print them themselves. But all the Machined PEHD Parts will problaly not be shared, but well see
      Hey dude great work with the prototype and good luck with the second. Just wondering how did you read the water level to trigger the wash cycle, did you go with a float or digital sensor?
      Be great to encourporate a cut off for the pump if something goes wrong too.

LynxDK is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

The sensor is an Optical sensor and the idea of a cutoff for the pump might not be a bad idea, that can be programmed into the Unit Control.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The sensor is an Optical sensor and the idea of a cutoff for the pump might not be a bad idea, that can be programmed into the Unit Control.
      What made you choose an optical sensor over a floating sensor? I mean optical wouldn’t get crammed with snails and muck I suppose, I did read another bloke used optical but couldn’t get it to function perfectly.
      At the moment I have some digital relay units that I will use with a float sensor in the clean side but I’m trying to figure out some plans to use a Arduino that will have a sensor for water level and emergency pump cutoff that will work on the WiFi to record time between cleans and be able to activate the clean when I want from my phone.
      I may well use a power regulator on the motor as well to be able to change the speed of the drum. Just comes down to what sensor to use, ideally I’d like the whole sensor unit for a profi drum or similar but I’m sure they will be over priced and hard to find.

LynxDK is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckers View Post
      What made you choose an optical sensor over a floating sensor?
      because as you mentioned yourself, i didnt want the sensor to get stuck in algae or other things.

but also we dont have room for a float sensor inside the drum.... as we dont have a real "casing" where the dirty water enter before entering the drum, so it had to be small.

well see how it does over time.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckers View Post
      What made you choose an optical sensor over a floating sensor? I mean optical wouldn’t get crammed with snails and muck I suppose, I did read another bloke used optical but couldn’t get it to function perfectly.
      At the moment I have some digital relay units that I will use with a float sensor in the clean side but I’m trying to figure out some plans to use a Arduino that will have a sensor for water level and emergency pump cutoff that will work on the WiFi to record time between cleans and be able to activate the clean when I want from my phone.
      I may well use a power regulator on the motor as well to be able to change the speed of the drum. Just comes down to what sensor to use, ideally I’d like the whole sensor unit for a profi drum or similar but I’m sure they will be over priced and hard to find.
      I am really looking forward to seeing the pics of your DIY set up.

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      I am really looking forward to seeing the pics of your DIY set up.

Garfield
      Just a little update for you, this is the filter so far. It’s wrights design and plans, must admit it’s come out quite well, just needs tweaking and the mesh put on but other than that it’s done build wise. Need to decide what to do for the sensor as I haven’t made my mind up yet but no doubt it will be a bottle stainless steel float sensor for now.
      Name:  A331EE89-2FD0-4FA8-9CF2-06E84BD39597.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  83.8 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  5AC95ADB-F44B-4F78-9F9D-1336C418DDF8.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  118.4 KB

Quang-An is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi There, is there any updates on your RDF prototype?

Sure thing

there is a couple of things i need to change, and i also got alot wiser on the cost of running these thing with tap water :P

First i will say that the unit performed flawlessly all last summer, the water was very clear, but it was at its limit with the 20000 liters pr. hour flow. And it had to run quite alot accually.
      And since i used tap water i got quite a big water bill this year... So, this year i will use a pump on the clean side to deliver the water for the filter. And i have an idea to filter the exess water from the "dung" and return the water clean to the pond. Im thing something like a sieve with at slow settling tank.

Anyways, im in the process of building a bigger unit this time, simply to overcome the small size and the high flow rate, this will also make it easier to measure high and low water levels for when the unit have to start clean cycle.

Allready when i put the filter at a stop last year, it was clear that the Stepper Motor i used to turn the drum was starting to rust in the bearings, and sure enough, a couple of days after i stopped it, it was stuck. So a 100% watertight geared motor is planned for this year.

I accually left the filter outside in the pond, in water, just to see how it would preform in a ice winther, frozen stuck in the filter. And im very surprised that beside the engine was stuck, you cant see or feel that it have been outside all winther.

so to sum it up i need:
      A Waterproof Geared Motor.
      Bigger Diameter, or double width Drum, here i would add that a bigger diameter will be more suitable for bigger Ponds, because you get more room for the waterlevel to be read. So i will not make a double width drum.
      Pump for clean side instead of tap water.
      A more precise way to measure waterlevel.

For a pump to clean the drum, yopu can buy very cheap Garden Water Pressure Booster Pump, which just runs and keep tap water pressure all the time because it has a tank, and the pump shuts off when the pressure is getting too low. Then the system will run as its done for now with the electric valve which opens and closes when the drum turnes.

The last thing i need to find is a suitable motor, so i will get back with more info as soon as i have any

I am very interested in your design. would you offer part for the RDF?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234