• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Injured Goldfish - Skin is torn away from dorsal fin

marym is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Injured Goldfish - Skin is torn away from dorsal fin

I have a 1000 gallon fish pond. We had a heron attack a couple days ago. One large white goldfish was found dead with a hole through him near the pond; another found with a similar injury dying on the bottom of the pond. Yesterday we discovered one of our black goldfish with a lot of torn off skin flapping on each side of his dorsal fin. Still swimming around, but slowly. Today he was hanging around on a shallow step in the pond and I was easily able to scoop him up. I've put him a large bucket with some pond salt, some of the pond water and some new fresh water, and an aerator. I took the photo before I'd finished filling the bucket with water. He's pretty active now...in fact he's trying to jump out of the bucket so I've covered with netting. Any suggestions on how to treat him?
      Attached Images Attached Images  

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I really believe that that fish is a poor candidate for any restoration. Euthanizing would be high on the list. You can use clove oil as mentioned in Part 17 of https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ive-Discussion, but use a double dose of clove oil and allow the fish to go ahead and die. The best thing you can do for the rest of your fish is to net the pond so that the attacks stop.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

marym is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for your advice Rich...I was afraid euthanizing might be the only solution. We did put a large raised net thing over the pond the day after the attack. The rest of the fish are still hiding so who knows how many more we actually lost. Thanks again.

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

I would sedate the fish with clove oil or net the fish and wait 5 min or more for her to really settle down while protected in a net. Clip all the hanging skin with fine scissors and tweezers (take your time and don't panic), pick off any dirt you might find, dry with paper towels and rub plenty neosporin on it. Put her back in the pond. Restoration by epidermal cell migration starts immediately after an breech injury resulting in a protective layer after several hours. You will know in the next several days whether she is holding her own or decompensating, only then I would seriously think about euthanizing.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

This fish will NOT benefit from any intervention to remedy it's current condition. It should be euthanized, not treated.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007