• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netting project

Nevermore is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Netting project

So I was heron free for numerous years with my pond since I built it 9 years back. Then one year they found it and I lost a few wakin goldfish. I did the fishing line fence but with a small kid around ... it wasn't feasible in the long term because of the bridge. A few years later one came and took more. I hate those birds!

So this year.. besides buying replacement koi... I found out that there is a heron rookery a handful of miles away... so I decided to bite the bullet and do the netting thing. It's nice to not have to worry about a heron visit anymore.

I just complete it recently and it's working out nicely. Since I have hard lined/modern pond against my pergola... doing the straight edged frame worked out. It's built from black anodized aluminum tubing, which are jointed together with plastic joints, and the netting is attached to the underside with stainless screws.

The smaller square portion to the right of the bridge just lifts off if needed, while the left portion is hinged into two sections. That right section lifts up like a trap door in case I need to net something or access the water. Being aluminum... it all weighs 10 lbs. The frogs can get in and out fine on the sides..... but if they do get to the top... it is kinda sad to see a big old bull from hopping all around trying to find the edge.
      Attached Images Attached Images     

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

trumpetdoug is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Love your work. Great job! The fishing line around the peremiter has always worked for me, but I could see how it could be a problem for you.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Doug - out
      See Our Pond https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ond&highlight=

Blank Check Project - Helping those who stand on that wall. www.blankcheckproject.com

onlycrimson is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looks good to me. My pond is always netted when I'm not sitting out there. I built similar frames from wood with fine mesh net. I can move them off easily, but it stopped the raccoons and herons.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yeah I had a fishing line "gate" that was basically a secondary section of line strung between metal stakes on each side of the bridge. .. so you would have to pull the metal stake from one side... move to the other side... so you can walk the bridge... but once you add in a 8 year old .... it would many times stay open. And... I've watched a few videos of herons getting through fishing lines... got me nervous.

These guys are about 3 miles from my house. (taken earlier this spring). The black ones on the left are cormorants.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by onlycrimson View Post
      Looks good to me. My pond is always netted when I'm not sitting out there. I built similar frames from wood with fine mesh net. I can move them off easily, but it stopped the raccoons and herons.
      Have you seen herons at the netted pond... who then curse in heron speak.. and then fly off?

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Nicely done and welcome to the forum!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

onlycrimson is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
      Have you seen herons at the netted pond... who then curse in heron speak.. and then fly off?
      Haha yes actually. They land on the garage then hop down and look confused.

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Beautiful job on these. Nice that they are so lightweight, too.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by onlycrimson View Post
      Haha yes actually. They land on the garage then hop down and look confused.
      That would be fun to watch... I still get angry when I seem the flying around... even if I'm an hour away from the house.

Back when they first struck ... I took the following day off of work to work from home. I set my computer up at the kitchen table, placed a full bucket of water by the slightly ajar door... and just waited for him to come back. He came back around lunch.. landed on the neighbors roof.... looked around for a long time before swooping in. They do land quite a bit away from the edge and walk up. I let him get nice and close before busting outside with my bucket. I got him pretty good as he turned to fly off. I guess he got the idea... I didn't have heron issues for the rest of that year.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here's the "keep the kid out of the pond" cage thing I did 10 years back. It was made with 2x4s and welding wire fencing. My boy could walk across it if he wanted... though he only stumbled a foot down on to once over the years. It was heavy.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

yorkie is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Geeky

I had heron problems. But since I have Herman by the pond for the last 5 years I have not seen a heron at the pond. Herman is a full sized dummy that I dressed in bluejeans and a sweatshirt, he also wears a baseball cap and sits in a chair by the edge of the pond. I move the chair about every two weeks. When the herons fly over they think someone is by the pond.

Here is a link if you want to purchase a Herman for your pond.

https://www.amazon.com/Lifesize-Posa.../dp/B00NRX50SY

Yorkie
      Last edited by yorkie; 06-14-2018 at 09:22 AM.
      A true pondaholic!
      40,000 Gallons, 45 koi

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

It's built from black anodized aluminum tubing, which are jointed together with plastic joints, and the netting is attached to the underside with stainless screws.

Can you post more detail on construction? Where did you get the aluminum tubing and netting?

I am thinking of making a short removable fence around a pond to prevent Koi from jumping out.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie View Post
      I had heron problems. But since I have Herman by the pond for the last 5 years I have not seen a heron at the pond. Herman is a full sized dummy that I dressed in bluejeans and a sweatshirt, he also wears a baseball cap and sits in a chair by the edge of the pond. I move the chair about every two weeks. When the herons fly over they think someone is by the pond.

Yorkie
      that is spookie!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So there are multiple companies that sell the extruded aluminum. The prices between them are all very close.. so you have to get a good quote on shipping since it was different at each place. I ended up getting mine at Eagle Aluminum. The netting is square woven (vs diamond) at Grourack Netting. The different companies do offer a slew of joints/hinges/etc to make all sort of forms. After that... it's just a matter of putting it together. Do note, that it's just aluminum so there is some flex it in. That's why I had to do some cross bars to keep the next from pulling the longer runs in towards the center.

I was looking into an alternate plan of using black pipe out on the outsede of the pond and run the net from it to the wooden deck sides.. but it wouldn't have allowed easy access.... though it would have been a lot cheaper.

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie View Post

Yorkie
      I tried the exact same approach, and it failed miserably. After herons were visiting regularly, I made a very realistic dummy using some old clothes, and sat it in a lawn chair by the pond. Also had it holding a rake, and it looked like a dead ringer for me. Next day, the heron was observed standing right next to the dummy !! My wife laughed so much, the dummy had to go ! In my case, the heron would land in the yard, and I think they quickly realize the dummy poses no threat, since it is not moving. As they gradually move closer to the pond, and the dummy doesn't move , they quickly figure out the dummy isn't real , and the real dummy is sleeping in the house.

Solved the problem

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

First let me tell you ... I and no one in my family are associated with this amazing product. I have nothing to gain by the obvious jump in sales that this company will get by posting it here!!!! I think this will fix all of the heron issues we all have.... plus the best part of it is that we could all customize our own and have a competition of sorts.

{EDIT- after thinking about this more... I think you could really step up the product by putting a heron decoy in it's arms!!!

THE PERFECT HERON DETERRENT...

thunderdan11 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

First let me tell you ... I and no one in my family are associated with this amazing product. I have nothing to gain by the obvious jump in sales that this company will get by posting it here!!!! I think this will fix all of the heron issues we all have.... plus the best part of it is that we could all customize our own and have a competition of sorts.

{EDIT- after thinking about this more... I think you could really step up the product by putting a heron decoy in it's arms!!!

THE PERFECT HERON DETERRENT...
      Think I first saw these on a Shark Tank episode-

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Some cruddy furniture place had one of these out by the street. Nothing makes we want to pull my car off the road to by a chaise lounge... like seeing a scary mannequin with an askew curly blond wig, a baseball cap, and a torn t-shirt out on the street.

It reminds me of that old twilight zone episode where he mannequin gets to come to live for one night at the department store.... or the old Omega Man Charleton Heston movie.

FRK is offline Supporting Member
      is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

I just ordered two Hermans. Thanks for the idea. I'm also putting in two dancing man things. The guys that stand on a blower and dance and wave all day.
      Last edited by FRK; 06-21-2018 at 03:26 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well I got a call from my wife saying they came down this morning this beautiful bird walking across the bridge on my pond. She said he was watching the fish below (who were coming up to be fed by the bird) and pacing a bit but never tried to strike them through the net (they are too low from the net anyway). Then she scared him off after a while. Yeah.
      Last edited by Nevermore; 09-27-2018 at 10:49 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast