• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dirty Water Collection Chamber/Just-In-Case Filter/DracoDrum RDF/UV Clarifier

bdel01 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i think if it constantly sprays all day long thats how you drain the pond
      best
      -ben

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
      Zac

Following your comment about the failures of pump fed RDF's and loss of fish. It seems on a complete unit as yours, that if external walls of the unit had higher walls than the existing lower wall between the drum and the bio section, wouldn't that allow a package unit like yours not loose pond water even if the drum became filled with organics?

I realize the cleaning function of the drum would be bypassed, but loss of fish would not be a worry.
      What am I missing?
      The pump fed units are constantly being fed with dirty water into the drum screen. When the screen doesn't clean the water level inside the drum elevates and then flows over the waste trough inside the drum. That water then drains to waste and ends up draining your pond.

Quote Originally Posted by bdel01 View Post
      i think if it constantly sprays all day long thats how you drain the pond
      This does lower the water level inside the pond during normal operation if it has a pressure pump added to the filter. However, in the case that the pressure pump is operating for more than 4 minutes continuously, the controller goes into shutdown mode so the pressure pump will be turned off. The koi pond water pump will still be operating though so that is what drains the pond. That is why you need to have a Piggy Back Float Switch installed in these pump fed applications so that if the water level in the pond drops passed the float switch setting then your water pump turns off, thus saving your fish.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Hiero is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

why dont u put a UV under the actual draco drum. UV keeps the inside of the RDFS SPOT CLEAN.

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Hiero View Post
      why dont u put a UV under the actual draco drum. UV keeps the inside of the RDFS SPOT CLEAN.
      Because that isn't a good use of the UV radiation. In order to truly be effective at sterilizing the algae cells you need to have the water trapped in a chamber and have a good dwell time with the lamp. If the water isn't contained there is no way to get the dwell time you need to sterilize the algae effectively. In my design the water is flowing in a nice laminar flow pattern along the UV lamp so it gets maximum dwell time, thus maximum effectiveness. Plus, I don't know what kind of effect the UV lamp will have on the SS screen so I don't want to risk it unless I know for sure it won't reduce the life expectancy of the screen. Another reason is for the safety of my customers. If you have visible UV light in a tank the customer can get hurt by looking at the lamp for longer than 10 seconds. You can easily get burned skin like a sunburn, and if you do irritate your eyes it feels like you have sand under your eyelashes for at least 6 hours. ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!! Even if they have their eyes closed the radiation can cause irritation to the body and make one nauseous. UV-C is not something to play with.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12